Future Olympic Host Cities

DS729

Here are some cities I'd like to see host the Olympics in the next hundred or so years (please don't take these too seriously though, these are merely just a product of two brain cells rubbing together)

North America:

Summer Games

Toronto, Canada

New York, NY, United States

Boston, United States

Chicago, United States

Los Angeles, United States (If London can host 3 times, LA can)

Dallas, United States

San Francisco, United States

Winter Games

Quebec City, Canada

Reno, United States

Denver, United States

Anchorage, United States

South America:

Summer Games

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Lima. Peru

Santiago, Chile

Africa:

Summer Games

Cairo, Egypt (Once all the riots settle down)

Nairobi, Kenya

Johannesburg, South Africa

Cape Town, South Africa

Europe:

Summer Games

Paris, France (See Los Angeles)

Madrid, Spain (Once their economy is fixed)

Hamburg, Germany

Budapest, Hungary

Prague, Czech Republic

Bucharest. Romania

Kyiv, Ukraine

Belgrade, Serbia

Winter Games

Annecy, France (Should've gotten 2018 IMO)

Andorra la Vella, Andorra

Lyiv, Ukraine

Bern, Switzerland

Middle East:

Summer Games

Istanbul, Turkey

Baku, Azerbaijan

Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Asia:

Summer Games

Delhi, India

Bangalore, India

Shanghai, China

Osaka, Japan

Jakarta, Indonesia

Kuala Lampur, Malaysia

Winter Games

Almaty, Kazakhstan

Oceania

Summer Games

Brisbane, Australia

Auckland, New Zealand

Winter Games

Queenstown, New Zealand

Any others?

2022 Winter Olympics: Almaty, Kazakhstan

2024 Summer Olympics: Toronto, Canada

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard that the Dunedin/ Queenstown region of New Zealand was considering a bid for the 2022 or 2026 Winter Olympics... It would be in the summer months in the northern hemisphere but it may work. They have a great arena for hosting figure skating, short track speed skating and ice hockey in Dunedin (although may need some more seating), a world class curling rink is Nasby (although that one is WAY out of the way to host any type of world class event) and the area around Wanaka and Queenstown could be great for all of the alpine events. Only thing they don't have is a luge/bobsled/skeletal track or a long track speed skating rink. Might be a bit of a burden for that area to host this type of event though.

Peru as an Olympic host country? Not a chance, ever. Just not going to happen.

I would also point out that summer Olympic Games venues need to be major world cities, logistically, in terms of enough hotels for media, fans etc, and in terms of infrastructure to enable transport and security. It's also worth bearing in mind that the future of Olympic Games host city bidding is about keeping costs down, so its likely that future host cities will need a good base of ready to go venues.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Peru as an Olympic host country? Not a chance, ever. Just not going to happen.

I would also point out that summer Olympic Games venues need to be major world cities, logistically, in terms of enough hotels for media, fans etc, and in terms of infrastructure to enable transport and security. It's also worth bearing in mind that the future of Olympic Games host city bidding is about keeping costs down, so its likely that future host cities will need a good base of ready to go venues.

The big city rule is only really for the Summer, for the Winter it's more about places that have nice ski resorts and such.

About Peru, I was looking down the line 60-70 years for that one, it's not unreasonable to believe that Peru may be a developed country by then.

After doing some research on some cities and cities that have submitted bids for hosting the olympics, I've came up with where I think some of the future sites might be. My predictions for the host city are in bold.

2022 Winter Olympics:

Almaty, Kazakhstan - Kazakhstan? Yes. Almaty is the largest city and former capital of Kazakhstan. It is still considered the financial center of the country. Almaty hosted the 2011 Asian Winter Games and will host the 2017 Winter Universiade (which is pretty much an olympics for college students) so they obviously have the venues to host big sporting events but some would have to be built. Almaty bid previously for the 2014 Winter Olympics but failed to become a candidate city. Almaty has placed a bid to host. The only other bid that has been submitted for the 2022 Winter Olympics is Barcelona, Spain

Quebec City is out of the question. Regis Labeaume (mayor of Quebec City) has ruled out hosting in 2022. IOC president Jacques Rogge stated that 2026 would be a realistic option for the city. If they were to ever host though, they would have to find a mountain for downhill events as Le Massif was not approved.

2024 Summer Olympics:

Toronto, Ontario - This is my pick to host. Toronto is set to host the 2015 Pan American Games and is also spending C$1.4 billion in upgrades towards existing Toronto sports venues. The IOC president as also stated that if the 2015 Pan American Games are a success, it could greatly improve Toronto's chances in hosting the games.

South Africa - This one is a long shot but I think a city in South Africa has to be in contention. South Africa just hosted the FIFA World Cup. Durban, South Africa had a bid for the 2020 Olympics but withdrew its bid.

Paris - Paris wants the 2024 Olympics as it would commemorate the 1924 Olympics which were held in Paris. Being a cultural and economic center in Europe, I can't see why Paris wouldn't be a candidate city for 2024, but would they beat out Toronto?

There is too much to state about the US hosting. The USOC sent letters to 35 cities to gauge their interest in submitting a bid. Some of the cities that received a letter; Atlanta, Boston, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Columbus, Philadelphia, Seattle, Indianapolis, Austin, San Antonio, Memphis, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Miami and more. If the US bids, it will most likely be New York or LA in my opinion.

2026 Winter Olympics:

Only seven potential bids have been announced for the 2026 Winter Olympics. They are Karkow, Poland, Quebec City, Bozeman, Montana, Reno-Lake Tahoe, Denver, Boston, and Anchorage. If Quebec City can find a mountain nearby that is approved by the IOC. I think Quebec City will be a no brainer to host even though I would like to see an Alaskan Olympics :P . The only city I think that would be in contention would be Denver.

I would talk about where I think the 2028 Summer Olympics would end up going but there isn't really a lot of information on it yet. Sorry for the book. I have held back in this debate for a while but I felt the need to state my opinion.

mcbqza.jpg

This will never happen, but it was kinda discussed before and would be kinda interesting: a US/Canadian joint bid between Montreal and Lake Placid/other Northern Adirondack resort. Mountain events at Lake Placid, hockey/curling/figure skating/speed skating at Montreal.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

After doing some research on some cities and cities that have submitted bids for hosting the olympics, I've came up with where I think some of the future sites might be. My predictions for the host city are in bold.

2022 Winter Olympics:

Almaty, Kazakhstan - Kazakhstan? Yes. Almaty is the largest city and former capital of Kazakhstan. It is still considered the financial center of the country. Almaty hosted the 2011 Asian Winter Games and will host the 2017 Winter Universiade (which is pretty much an olympics for college students) so they obviously have the venues to host big sporting events but some would have to be built. Almaty bid previously for the 2014 Winter Olympics but failed to become a candidate city. Almaty has placed a bid to host. The only other bid that has been submitted for the 2022 Winter Olympics is Barcelona, Spain

Quebec City is out of the question. Regis Labeaume (mayor of Quebec City) has ruled out hosting in 2022. IOC president Jacques Rogge stated that 2026 would be a realistic option for the city. If they were to ever host though, they would have to find a mountain for downhill events as Le Massif was not approved.

2024 Summer Olympics:

Toronto, Ontario - This is my pick to host. Toronto is set to host the 2015 Pan American Games and is also spending C$1.4 billion in upgrades towards existing Toronto sports venues. The IOC president as also stated that if the 2015 Pan American Games are a success, it could greatly improve Toronto's chances in hosting the games.

South Africa - This one is a long shot but I think a city in South Africa has to be in contention. South Africa just hosted the FIFA World Cup. Durban, South Africa had a bid for the 2020 Olympics but withdrew its bid.

Paris - Paris wants the 2024 Olympics as it would commemorate the 1924 Olympics which were held in Paris. Being a cultural and economic center in Europe, I can't see why Paris wouldn't be a candidate city for 2024, but would they beat out Toronto?

There is too much to state about the US hosting. The USOC sent letters to 35 cities to gauge their interest in submitting a bid. Some of the cities that received a letter; Atlanta, Boston, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Columbus, Philadelphia, Seattle, Indianapolis, Austin, San Antonio, Memphis, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, Miami and more. If the US bids, it will most likely be New York or LA in my opinion.

2026 Winter Olympics:

Only seven potential bids have been announced for the 2026 Winter Olympics. They are Karkow, Poland, Quebec City, Bozeman, Montana, Reno-Lake Tahoe, Denver, Boston, and Anchorage. If Quebec City can find a mountain nearby that is approved by the IOC. I think Quebec City will be a no brainer to host even though I would like to see an Alaskan Olympics :P . The only city I think that would be in contention would be Denver.

I would talk about where I think the 2028 Summer Olympics would end up going but there isn't really a lot of information on it yet. Sorry for the book. I have held back in this debate for a while but I felt the need to state my opinion.

I did my research before posting, my friend. I saw Almaty's bid and thought that would be good to include, I thought Toronto would be good as well, Paris is interesting if London can host 3 times, then Paris and LA should be able to as well. I agree about Quebec City as Winter Olympics are more about ski-resorts up in the mountains rather than cities in cold climates.

My picks:

2022: Almaty- The other bid is Barcelona, whose country is in the financial crapper.

2024: Los Angeles: The US is craving an Olympics. Why not bring it to the biggest metropolitan area that we won't have security problems with?

2026: Quebec City: People may get tired of North America hosting after this, but it's still the best choice. New Colisee will be a great venue.

2028: Melbourne: Just to even out where the Olympics take place.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

2022-Bern, Switzerland

2024-Cape Town, South Africa(I think Africa is due for an Olympics.)

2026-Denver(Perfect for the American Sesquicentennial.)

2028-Madrid(Spain's economy should be better by then.)

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Alright, overwheming vote says "yes" to selecting cities for future Olympics.

I know I'm going to sound like an idiot but can somebody please tell how to set up a poll? I'm semi-new to these boards, like I just figured out what "Bumping" is.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found out how to set up a poll.

QBC and Reno aren't bidding.

I know, but I figured it would be better if we had more than 2 places to vote for, and for the record I didn't include Barcelona. Barcelona is a warm-weather city, in a country whose economy is in shambles. I went off of user request and I remember someone suggesting QBC in the first place.

Archived