2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Florida should grab Ekblad if they have any brain.

Reinhart to Buffalo

Bennett :( to Edmonton

Dal Colle to Calgary, which would be awesome. Flames are gonna get someone pretty awesome!

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Fun fact: Average price of ticket for Blues-Hawks in St. Louis is around $76, only losing to Stars-Ducks in Orange County which is at $67. What happens when the Blues come marching up north? Ask the fans to fork over $192, on average.

So we're in a recession, right? Is that the line we're expected to tow here? Cause seeing :censored: like this just pisses me off from a fundamental perspective as a sports fan. Part of the joy is being able to experience games in person and if you go to regular season games with any kind of regularity, how many other hobbies do you have to sacrifice to get the privilege of squinting down at a rank full of overly paid athletes during playoff time?

I know, I know, this isn't the time to go off on tangents on broader issues, but the supply and demand aspect is depressing.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Fun fact: Average price of ticket for Blues-Hawks in St. Louis is around $76, only losing to Stars-Ducks in Orange County which is at $67. What happens when the Blues come marching up north? Ask the fans to fork over $192, on average.

So we're in a recession, right? Is that the line we're expected to tow here? Cause seeing :censored: like this just pisses me off from a fundamental perspective as a sports fan. Part of the joy is being able to experience games in person and if you go to regular season games with any kind of regularity, how many other hobbies do you have to sacrifice to get the privilege of squinting down at a rank full of overly paid athletes during playoff time?

I know, I know, this isn't the time to go off on tangents on broader issues, but the supply and demand aspect is depressing.

FWIW, I went on StubHub right now; these are the lowest prices for available tickets. It's not the average, but it still shows a bit of the supply and demand curve.

Game 1 - $71.30

Game 2 - $82.85

Game 5 - $86.00

Game 7 - $85.01

In Chicago:

Game 3 - $79.70

Game 4 - $76.40

Game 6 - $83.75

Really, you don't know what the demand for tickets is unless a team fails to sell out. Teams have to guess at what the market will bear, and then stick with that price. The average ticket price doesn't necessarily reflect the actual demand, but what the teams think the demand will be combined with what they think they can get away with without being raked over the coals too much in local media. There are also roughly three times as many people in the Chicago area as are in the St. Louis area, so it's not surprising there will be more demand.

FWIW, I went on StubHub right now; these are the lowest prices for available tickets. It's not the average, but it still shows a bit of the supply and demand curve.

Game 1 - $71.30

Game 2 - $82.85

Game 5 - $86.00

Game 7 - $85.01

In Chicago:

Game 3 - $79.70

Game 4 - $76.40

Game 6 - $83.75

Really, you don't know what the demand for tickets is unless a team fails to sell out. Teams have to guess at what the market will bear, and then stick with that price. The average ticket price doesn't necessarily reflect the actual demand, but what the teams think the demand will be combined with what they think they can get away with without being raked over the coals too much in local media. There are also roughly three times as many people in the Chicago area as are in the St. Louis area, so it's not surprising there will be more demand.

It didn't seem to load my initial response, so I apologize if it ends up being a duplicate, but it's still absurd to me how the team can charge nearly double for the same game that you could drive a couple hours to see on a different night. The population difference is plausible, since the demand will be higher with more people in the area, but it has a disingenuous tone I don't care for. Sometimes, I hate seeing the underlying business aspect of sports fandom and grow tired of a bottom line.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

All these bad coaches haven't been fired yet. Why haven't all these bad coaches been fired yet?

Because bad GMs gave them five year contracts. Well, one coach anyway.

You've clearly never been to Canada during the playoffs. Try and find tickets at that price for just REGULAR SEASON games and then bitch about ticket prices. Playoff tickets in Vancouver would cost you your whole two week paycheck, an arm/leg/your soul, and then some.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

Is there a 2014 Stanley Cup playoffs thread? Couldn't find one..anyway last night's Game 7 was probably the most tense Wild game I've seen in my whole life...I could barely sleep. And really that game truly epitomized that entire series...just great stuff.

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

Archived