Hand-Drawn Baseball Drawings I: Alton Baseball League

TheGiantsFan

Really nice lettering for all of the stadiums, but I also have a question about not starting my own topics as I cannot start my own topics, please help

Thanks! As for your question, you don't have enough of a post count yet to start threads. A few more posts and you should be good to go...

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This... is beautiful. Congratulations on completing your series, I've loved every bit of it. The attention to detail in the stadiums and identities (also the towns and their histories), the wild and unique color schemes (even the twists on traditional color schemes/identities like the Homestead Sun Sox), and creating logos from scratch and hand-drawn, all come together perfectly.

My favorites are definitely the Marina Bay Armada and the Homestead Sun Sox for how they twist traditional color schemes and freshen them up. I also really like the Princeton Monarchs for their font and amazing color scheme (blue/old gold is really nice) and the double-green of the Farlin Shamrocks. Well done, and I can't wait to see what you'll do next?

By the way, have you ever considered recreating your stadiums in Sketchup or another 3D program?

This... is beautiful. Congratulations on completing your series, I've loved every bit of it. The attention to detail in the stadiums and identities (also the towns and their histories), the wild and unique color schemes (even the twists on traditional color schemes/identities like the Homestead Sun Sox), and creating logos from scratch and hand-drawn, all come together perfectly.

My favorites are definitely the Marina Bay Armada and the Homestead Sun Sox for how they twist traditional color schemes and freshen them up. I also really like the Princeton Monarchs for their font and amazing color scheme (blue/old gold is really nice) and the double-green of the Farlin Shamrocks. Well done, and I can't wait to see what you'll do next?

By the way, have you ever considered recreating your stadiums in Sketchup or another 3D program?

Thank you very much! I really appreciate your kind words and your comment "twists on traditional color schemes/identities" really intrigues me. Do you mean modern twists on those color schemes or whatnot? I really had fun working with the unique color schemes as well. Glad you like what I did with all of the colors!

I actually have tried making a stadium on SketchUp before. Gave up after I did the outfield, but now that I think about it, I might wanna try to play around with SketchUp again.

The many colors and diversity of teams is nice

Thanks! They've all been really fun to work with!

Love this series! I think it would be cool if you listed each parks capacity

Thanks! As for stadium capacities, that'd be somewhat hard for me to figure out. Math's my weak point. Haha. It'd certainly be cool, though.

Gotta say, I love the cultuners. For some reason, I can't vote, so I say Lewisburg and Birmingham are the best per league

Thanks! I do like the Cultuners as well with all the designs I put into it. The Colonials and the Hearts sure do have some classy uniforms, indeed. Glad you like them!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I don't wanna keep stalling this thread without new updates, so here's a progress shot on Shell Stadium, home of the Forebay Shells!

BsSDi4zCcAIm-Fe.jpg

So far, the basic highlights to Shell Stadium is that it's a fairly compact stadium that's located just a few blocks or so away from the beach.

I have begun scanning my pictures now, but only finalized stadium drawing will be scanned for better quality.

Stay tuned!

~ Daryl

Love this series! I think it would be cool if you listed each parks capacity

Thanks! As for stadium capacities, that'd be somewhat hard for me to figure out. Math's my weak point. Haha. It'd certainly be cool, though.

I have an idea for how to do that. PM me if you're interested.

championship_banners_sig_by_verasthebruj

History of a Fictional Football League (1989)

Thread - Logos - Uniforms - History

Looks nice so far. Is the bullpen to our right partially under the stands? If so, that's kind of a cool feature.

Thanks! The bullpens are indeed partially under the stands because of the compact size of the stadium.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

No new updates yet, but I have updated most of the finished stadium drawings to replace the pics taken on my phone with new scanned pictures. All for better picture quality.

~ Daryl

Today, I decided to start drawing up BP jerseys for the league. But before I show you the first division, I'll show you the rules for the BP jerseys (as inspired by JJHoser's MLB BP concept thread).

• The team's primary color becomes the base color of the jersey
  • The team's secondary color becomes the color of the collars, side panels, wordmarks, and numbers
  • Only a team's primary and secondary colors are used, even if the team uses more than two colors
  • Only wordmarks will be used on the front of the jerseys
  • None of the jerseys will have a NOB nor a front number
  • The outlines on numbers match the outlines on the team's regular home jersey

And then there's also a few rules for the BP caps.

• The team's primary color becomes the color of the bill, the squatchee, and the cap logo
  • The team's secondary color becomes the base color of the cap

The BP jerseys and caps in the Alton Baseball League are made of the same materials as the BP jerseys and caps in the MLB.

With all those rules all said and done, here's the BP jerseys for the Alton League West:

14652663851_0c67fed4d3_c.jpg

Along with BP jerseys, I'm planning to make throwback jerseys for the teams.

~ Daryl

It's great to see you doing more! The Hawks look really clean, great job as always.

Thanks!

----------------------

Since I'm considering doing throwback jerseys for the ABL teams along with BP jerseys, I'm just wondering what eras would you guys be interested in seeing for the throwbacks.

Any feedback is welcomed!

~ Daryl

I think doing a wide range of throwbacks would he good based on when the teams were "created" or had there most fictional "success".

Or you can go the TB Rays route and have "fuaxback" looks.

• 3 weeks later...

I think throwbacks would be an excellent addition.

I'm sure they will! And you'll finally get to see the first bunch today~

1970's, there were plenty of kinda ugly looks from then.

Well, I wouldn't say ugly, but they sure are unique! I did incorporate a 1970's design into this first batch of throwbacks...

I think doing a wide range of throwbacks would be good based on when the teams were "created" or had there most fictional "success".

Or you can go the TB Rays route and have "fauxback" looks.

Took your ideas into consideration, with some teams having throwbacks from their inaugural years (especially the 1995 ABL expansion teams) and sets from teams' championship years. I think I might potentially do a fauxback for at least one team.

The legend continues!

And so it does!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Finally decided to give this thread some life again with the first batch of throwback jerseys! Working backwards from the BP jerseys here, so I'm starting with the United League East instead of the Alton League West. Here they are!

14829704132_91c6234dab_c.jpg

Here's my explanations for the throwbacks:

- Abrii's jerseys are the home jerseys used in their 2003 Bi-League championship title. Fairly simple jersey with red piping and wordmarks, and black numbers. The "tri-star" logo (still used in their current sets) appears in both the left sleeve as well as the cap.

- Forebay's jerseys are taken from their inaugural season way back in 1959. A rather simplistic look with an arched "SHELLS" wordmark on a cream base. Very similar to their current home uniforms today.

- Granby's set is also taken from their inaugural season, after the 1995 expansion that added 6 new teams (including Abrii) to the league. Completely different look from their current sets with wordmark styles similar to that of the 2005-2010 Washington Nationals sets.

- Homestead throws back to their bold road jersey from the 70's, which is inspired from the San Diego Padres from that time period. Comes with an Orioles-style colored-panel hat as well.

- Portside throws back to their vested home jerseys from 1961. This uniform incorporates sailor stripes into its look along with a blue undershirt.

That's all I have so far for throwback jerseys. I really can't wait to see what you guy think of them.

As for Shell Stadium, I've slowly been working on it. It obviously has taken much longer to do, but I guess that's what summer vacation does to you.

~ Daryl

This is great, I love Portside's look the most.

Thank you! Glad you like my first try at a vest jersey. Haha.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of feedback I got for this first batch of throwback jerseys, but I'll go on anyways. Tonight, I have another batch of BP jerseys for y'all, this time the Alton League Central:

14706152438_053689fcca_c.jpg

As all the BP jerseys throughout the league do, this set follows the BP jersey template save for one exception: the Valley Hills Blues. The template calls for the primary color (in the Blues' case, navy blue) to be the base color for the jersey, but to avoid clashing with the navy blue Cosmos' jerseys, the league allowed the Blues to use a primarily light blue BP jersey.

Oh, and trust me, there's supposed to be a logo in the Central City cap. Orange and brown don't really color well with colored pencil. :mellow:

~ Daryl

Archived