The National (Association) Football League - SD, TB, TEN, WSH

mbannon92

Over the last century American football has gradually grown into the most profitable and most popular sport in the United States, and the NFL is a money-making machine. However, this popularity is essentially limited to the United States, as the number one sport in almost every other country in the world is the original football - association football - which started in Britain and spread all over the world, spawning several different derivations including American football.

So, let's go back in time 93 years to 1920. What if the National (American) Football League was instead founded as the National (Association) Football League, making soccer the number one sport in the United States? While the implications would obviously be extensive, I'm just going to focus on the aesthetics of this soccer NFL.

First off I'll go over similarities in this league to the current NFL and to the EPL. (Since the MLS sucks and this NFL would have probably taken some elements from the EPL.)

Similarities to the NFL:

- All 32 current teams with their current names

- League-wide outfitter (Nike just took over for adidas - never seen a Reebok soccer kit)

- Team nicknames are prevalent in branding (unlike most soccer leagues)

- Crests maintain some elements of current or former team logos

- Kits try to follow the look of teams' current jerseys, but obviously with soccer stying

- Home and road kits (rather than primary and clash) that match

- No sponsors on kits (If the current NFL doesn't need jersey sponsors, this NFL wouldn't either, as it would be as popular in the States and much more popular internationally, meaning more $$$)

Similarities to the EPL:

- Logos are more like crests than just singular elements

- League logo on each sleeve and bottom of numbers

- Standardized NOB/number font

As for the presentation, I'll be releasing one AFC team and one NFC team (in alphabetical order) each week for the entire regular season.

AFC:

Baltimore Ravens | Buffalo Bills | Cincinnati Bengals | Cleveland Browns | Denver Broncos | Houston Texans | Indianapolis Colts | Jacksonville Jaguars

Kansas City Chiefs | Miami Dolphins | New England Patriots | New York Jets | Oakland Raiders | Pittsburgh Steelers | San Diego Chargers | Tennessee Titans

NFC:

Arizona Cardinals | Atlanta Falcons | Carolina Panthers | Chicago Bears | Dallas Cowboys | Detroit Lions | Green Bay Packers | Minnesota Vikings

New Orleans Saints | New York Giants | Philadelphia Eagles | San Fransisco 49ers | Seattle Seahawks | St. Louis Rams | Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Washington Redskins

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These would have been posted last weekend for week 1 but my computer was broken, so here are the first two!

AFC:

BAL-01.png

Crest: Simply the current sleeve logo, since it works perfectly as a soccer crest.

Kits: I could have gone with plain purple/white to match the current uniforms, but I thought I'd get a little more creative and do alternating purple/black stripes on the home and then sublimated stripes on the road. The Ravens tend to try and balance between purple and black, so I think this works.

NFC:

ARI-01.png

Crest: I see the St. Louis Cardinals as having had the Gateway Arch as a part of their crest, so with the move to Arizona I flattened out the top into a half circle and added the sunburst found on the Arizona flag. The Cardinal head is in the center with the wordmark below.

Kits: The Cardinals would have had a piped mess under the previous outfitter (adidas), so I simplified things a lot and tried to maintain the colorway of their current sleeves and collar.

Love this so far. Can't wait to see what you do with some of these teams. What template is this?

Also, Reebok does make soccer kits. One that comes to mind is Bolton, who has had their kits made by Reebok for about 3 years I believe.

adidas has been making their kits the last two seasons. Reebok has been replaced by adidas by most of its former teams since being bought.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Sounds like a cool idea, you gonna do a Nike gradient for the Jags? :rolleyes:

;)

Love this so far. Can't wait to see what you do with some of these teams. What template is this?

I don't remember who made the template...I've had it for quite awhile. The creator also made adidas, Umbro, and Puma ones.

As thirds, you could incorporate state flags into the jerseys, though I think Arizona could work better than Baltimore. Great start. Cant wait for the rest.

Thirds will come at the end...stay tuned!

Not a single one of my teams looks like any of those. I'm also creating new logos for (almost) every team.

Great start. I vote for more than one per week, lol.

Sorry, I'm gonna drag this thing out B)

I could see how some teams already have soccer-like primaries or secondaries. However, teams like buffalo, Jacksonville, San Diego, etc, would have to have a logo change as you kinda- sorta did with the Cards. Will you add sponsors to the sets?

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

I could see how some teams already have soccer-like primaries or secondaries. However, teams like buffalo, Jacksonville, San Diego, etc, would have to have a logo change as you kinda- sorta did with the Cards. Will you add sponsors to the sets?

Most teams will not retain their current logo...only a select few that currently have crest-like logos.

And from the OP:

- No sponsors on kits (If the current NFL doesn't need jersey sponsors, this NFL wouldn't either, as it would be as popular in the States and much more popular internationally, meaning more $$$)

Archived