NHL Uniform Manufacturers (CCM, Nike, Starter, Reebok, etc.)

rmackman

This photo is from the late 80s after Wayne Gretzky got traded to Los Angeles. I had no idea that at the time, Nike was the primary uniform manufacturer for the NHL. I thought it was CCM. Anyone have the story behind this?

NikeOilers_zps413ef077.png

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon SportsΒ πŸ”—
spacer.png

I was always under the impression that, at the time the photo was taken, NHL teams could choose their own uniform manufacturers, and the Oilers-Nike deal had a lot to do with Gretzky himself having an endorsement deal with Nike.

I believe that the NHL did not go to one supplier till the late 90's when they went with CCM/KOHO. They were owned by the parent company and one brand was home and the other way away.

It was 2000 , coincided with the manufacturer logo going on the back neck from the hem. The Buffalo Sabres and a few other teams used Pro Player jerseys in 1999-2000.

Nope, teams could choose their own manufacturers back then. Edmonton, however, was the only team to wear something other than CCM.

Starting in the 2000-01 season, every team's uniform was manufactured by CCM and every road uniform was manufactured by Koho. In the 2005-06 season, it became all-Reebok and then the Edge switch came shortly thereafter.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Prior to the 2000-2001 Season when The Hockey Company got the contract entire NHL contract and CCM did the Home jerseys, Koho the road and alternate (there is a rumor JOFA was supposed to get the third jerseys, but since not every team had one they went KOHO as they were predominantly dark and instead JOFA were the officials uniforms.) Prior to that each team did have their own manufacture, Bauer only did the Predators, Pro Player and Starter were in the mix, as well as CCM. However, at retail, as far as I know CCM, Starter, and Pro Player all had the rights to make replicas, so you could buy a jersey of a team, say the Penguins who were a Pro Player team on the ice, you could get a replica by Starter, CCM, of Pro Player.

SEAsig.png

Nope, teams could choose their own manufacturers back then. Edmonton, however, was the only team to wear something other than CCM.

Starting in the 2000-01 season, every team's uniform was manufactured by CCM and every road uniform was manufactured by Koho. In the 2005-06 season, it became all-Reebok and then the Edge switch came shortly thereafter.

Not true.

1539.jpgPhiladelphiaFlyers85-86jersey.jpg

Just to show that those were on-ice and not replicas...

ronsutter.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm aware of that. I was referring to the late 80s, since the OP was referring to the post-The Trade era. The Flyers started wearing CCM in the 86-87 season.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Edmonton also had adidas as their supplier for a spell.

The Colorado Hockey-Rockies wore Champion at some point. Predictably, everything including the crests was screenprinted, and yes, they used that dumb block font with the ugly 2 and 4 and the curved 7.

Was Sandow/SK (big player in the early '80s) a forerunner of CCM, or were they two separate companies?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Edmonton also had adidas as their supplier for a spell.

The Colorado Hockey-Rockies wore Champion at some point. Predictably, everything including the crests was screenprinted, and yes, they used that dumb block font with the ugly 2 and 4 and the curved 7.

Was Sandow/SK (big player in the early '80s) a forerunner of CCM, or were they two separate companies?

The Zunenshine family bought CCM and then Sandow/SK

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/The_Hockey_Company.aspx

And that was only for 1983. In 1984, CCM made the ASG uniforms.

I believe Starter got into NHL jerseys around '93-'94 or so. I had one in high school. I think Pro Player took the reins from Starter in 1999, which was the best time ever to have a Value City open up in your area.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Y'know, you can go to the www.nhluniforms.com website. If you go to an individual season, the uni renderings for each team clearly shows the uni maker ID on the hem.

Let's use the 1982-83 season as an example:

Bruins-CCM

Sabres-Sandow SK

Flames-CCM

Black Hawks-Sandow SK (Gunzo's also on hem, was the Hawks equipment supplier)

Red Wings-Maska

Oilers-Nike

Whalers-Sandow SK

Kings-Maska

North Stars-None shown

Canadiens-Maska

Devils-Sandow SK (Gerry Cosby also on hem, supplied the Devils equipment)

Islanders-CCM

Rangers-None shown

Flyers-Sandow SK (and the Cooperall slacks)

Penguins-Sandow SK

Nordiques-Maska

Blues-None shown

Maple Leafs-Maska

Canucks-Maska

Capitals-Maska

Jets-Sandow SK

Uniform databases are a very useful tool for these sorts of things.

Hope this helps..

Archived