brilliant use of negative space

Ferdinand Cesarano

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

200px-ImgLifeLogo.jpg

I don't see anything either

A spoon in the 'e'

I dont think that counts... what does a spoon symobolize? I think thats just a lower case e. The spoon in the FedEx logo is same thing.. people say Hey look at the hidden spoon but that's really a joke, there's no intended purpose for a spoon. The arrow in FedEx is a different story.. idk if anyone is 100% sure if its intentional or not but at least it would make sense if it were.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

200px-ImgLifeLogo.jpg

A spoon in the 'e'

I dont think that counts... what does a spoon symobolize? I think thats just a lower case e. The spoon in the FedEx logo is same thing.. people say Hey look at the hidden spoon but that's really a joke, there's no intended purpose for a spoon. The arrow in FedEx is a different story.. idk if anyone is 100% sure if its intentional or not but at least it would make sense if it were.

We might be looking for it here, but since this is Life cereal, a spoon does make sense. Whether or not it was intended, I can't say.

200px-ImgLifeLogo.jpg

A spoon in the 'e'

Normally, I'd agree with you, such as the fedex logo having a spoon too, but a spoon for life makes sense, and if you look at their old word marks, they've never had it before. Pretty sure this was a conscience descision this time around.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

old_big_ten.jpg

Then Nebraska (Maryland, and Rutgers) had to go and ruin everything... just kidding.

From that beauty to this:

Big-10-logo.jpg

How sad.

I've actually come around on the B1G logo. When you really look at the original it was kind of a mess. The fonts are different for reasons unknown and don't actually go together that well. The block font feels too condensed. I know the verticals and the horizontals are the same but they appear stretched because of how little space is left in the middle of the letters. I'll admit the first "1" is clever but the second one is forced in there and not really done all that clever. It was a fine logo but it needed an update. Once they said they weren't updating the name of the conference the best approach was to focus on the BIG aspect of it not the TEN portion. And if this reaches the end game we all thought it was (and maybe still will) when the B1G gets 16 teams its makes even more sense. If they don't, its not really a 6 anyway...its a 0...kinda.

I know everyone thinks its lame but the ability to type B1G in any context and everyone knows what you're talking about it is pretty genius. I can't think of any brand that's been able to pull something off like that in recent memory.

200px-ImgLifeLogo.jpg

A spoon in the 'e'

Normally, I'd agree with you, such as the fedex logo having a spoon too, but a spoon for life makes sense, and if you look at their old word marks, they've never had it before. Pretty sure this was a conscience descision this time around.

I'm not so sure of that. It looks as though they have had a few "e" variations that contained the spoon:

image_thumb34.pnglife11.jpg

Then they used some that did not:

life-cereal-box.gifLife-Cereal.jpg

I guess it's plausible that they change included a conscious decision to go back to that style of "e"....but I'm not sure anyone can say definitively that it was the driving factor unless we get comment from someone involved in the decision.

life-cereal-box.jpg

gYH2mW9.png

Agreed. It's worth noting that the Masters of Sex logo you posted isn't always used. There's another version without the hidden image, probably because it's such an effective use of that negative space.

subway1.jpg

FWIW, this is the version that I've seen on the subway, but the negative-space one appears on buses. Go figure.

That's smart by Showtime. Having the negative-space "E" in a static location like a subway station would only invite crass tagging. It's a lot harder to tag a bus that's constatntly in motion.

If they put that sideways "E" on the subway, it'd only be a matter of time before that defenseless "E" was engaged in an orgy with multiple Sharpie-created participants. Plus Lizzy Caplan's eyes would be scratched out. :)

I still don't know about Life cereal purposely putting a spoon in their logo. It looks accidental as a result of the font choice. Maybe less so in the newest version, but definitely in the older ones. Plus who the hell has spoons that deep?

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

I still don't know about Life cereal purposely putting a spoon in their logo. It looks accidental as a result of the font choice. Maybe less so in the newest version, but definitely in the older ones. Plus who the hell has spoons that deep?

Valley girls, perhaps?

That's not really design. In the movie, that's the specific type of moth the main antagonist uses. I think it's called the Death's Head Moth.

200px-ImgLifeLogo.jpg

A spoon in the 'e'

I'm not so sure of that. It looks as though they have had a few "e" variations that contained the spoon:

image_thumb34.pnglife11.jpg

Then they used some that did not:

life-cereal-box.gifLife-Cereal.jpg

I guess it's plausible that they change included a conscious decision to go back to that style of "e"....but I'm not sure anyone can say definitively that it was the driving factor unless we get comment from someone involved in the decision.

life-cereal-box.jpg

I retract my statement. I actually thought that was the logo for Life the board game not life the cerial. If it's for the cerial a hidden spoon would make sense, although I still think its unintentional.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Archived