infrared41's Best and Worst of the Week - Week Four

infrared41

Back for another round. Let's get the show on the road. We'll lead off with the worst this week.

Worst:

Well...that was easy. We've been lucky this season. Four weeks in and we've yet to have a full five game worst list. Even better, this week, not one game made the list.

Best:

1. NY Giants - Kansas City: Two top five looks on the same field. This is about as good as it gets. FWIW, the Giants are our "if they could play even half as good as they look" team for the second consecutive week.

Giants_Chiefs_Football_139558_game.jpg

2. Redskins - Raiders: How good looking were the top two games this week? Washington's sleeves were the very minor nitpick that kept this game from the #1 slot. The Raiders have perfect uniforms. Seriously, name one thing that's wrong with their look. Take your time. I'll wait. B)

Redskins_Raiders_Football_139599_game.jp

3. Pittsburgh - Minnesota: My Basically a Football Show co-host and I are probably among the few that prefer the Steelers road look to their classic home look. (I feel the same way about the Raiders.) Other than that silly number font (which bothers me less each time I see it) the Vikings really knocked it out of the park with their new home look.

Britain_Steelers_Vikings_Football_139526

4. San Francisco - St. Louis: The Rams have some really nice combos in their current look. Unfortunately, they don't wear them very often. The all white looks good. not as good as white over gold, but it's still pretty good. It's certainly better than the awful blue monochrome the Rams could have subjected us to. The 49ers are a perennial best list candidate.

49ers_Rams_Football_139287_game.jpg

5. Baltimore - Buffalo: The Ravens have mercifully left their black pants in the dumpster where they belong the last couple weeks. The Bills home uniforms look better every time I see them.

APTOPIX_Ravens_Bills_Football_139535_gam

And to wrap things up...

Every once in a great while, we get to see what the Cowboys look like when their colors actually match - and they look incredible. Any time Dallas wears the blue road jerseys, they're a contender for the #1 slot on the best list. Getting there always depends on the team the Cowboys happen to be playing when they break out the blue jerseys. Any of San Diego's prior looks combined with the Cowboys in blue puts this game at the top of the list. Instead, we got this...

Cowboys_Chargers_Football_139627_game.jp

Why the Cowboys insist on sticking with their white/silver/blue/green/other blue uniforms when they could look so good is beyond me.

Cowboys_Chargers_Football_139616_game.jp

That's it for this week. Tune in again next week for another infuriating episode.

BB52Big.jpg

I get the love for the Cowboys' blue jerseys because everything finally matches. I agree that it's nice when the colors actually match. However, I think that navy jersey is overdesigned. The logo-in-the-stripe on the sleeve makes it look like one of those Halloween costume football uniforms for kids, and double strokes on the numbers just muddy the numbers' visibility. (Yes, I know, HDTV, etc. It's still too busy.) I'm certainly not in the camp that the white jerseys are a great uniform, but beyond matching the colors up, I don't see why the Cowboys' dark jerseys are much better.

I get the love for the Cowboys' blue jerseys because everything finally matches. I agree that it's nice when the colors actually match. However, I think that navy jersey is overdesigned. The logo-in-the-stripe on the sleeve makes it look like one of those Halloween costume football uniforms for kids, and double strokes on the numbers just muddy the numbers' visibility. (Yes, I know, HDTV, etc. It's still too busy.) I'm certainly not in the camp that the white jerseys are a great uniform, but beyond matching the colors up, I don't see why the Cowboys' dark jerseys are much better.

I'm with you on all this.

Thirded right here. Except I would go as far as saying that I prefer the white uniform, even with all its easily fixable flaws, to the contrived blue set. Seriously, Cowboys. Just change all shades of silver to a bluish-silver, darken the royal blue a little, come up with a matching blue jersey, and you'd instantly have one of the best looks in the game. Basically, look how you looked when Roger Staubach was your quarterback. Oh, and you should probably get over yourselves and wear blue at home, too.

roger-staubach.jpgs_roger.jpg

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Thirded right here. Except I would go as far as saying that I prefer the white uniform, even with all its easily fixable flaws, to the contrived blue set. Seriously, Cowboys. Just change all shades of silver to a bluish-silver, darken the royal blue a little, come up with a matching blue jersey, and you'd instantly have one of the best looks in the game. Basically, look how you looked when Roger Staubach was your quarterback. Oh, and you should probably get over yourselves and wear blue at home, too.

I wouldn't even darken up the royal. I would just match everything to their current white jersey and use silver, royal and white. Then replace the navy dark jersey with a royal one, matching the design of the white uni. I think just doing that would give them one of the best looks in the NFL.

I liked Dallas's 1980s rarely-used blue jersey, which was a decent match for the white.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

That metallic blue-silver and royal blue color scheme is amazing. If the Cowboys went back to that, they would own it to such a degree no other team would be able to wear anything close. Why so many board members here want to make them just another navy blue and silver team is beyond me.

I guess I'll provide the descenting voice here. I like the current blue Cowboys set. I like the star on the stripes, and I like the double outline. The fact that the first outline is navy allows the second outline to stand out without muddling the look in my opinion. It manages to look crisp and clean, even if it is a double-outlined design. If they redesigned their white set along the lines of their current blue set they'd have an incredible look. I'm open to lightening the navy to royal, but I don't think that's even necessary.

Also wow, that blue Cowboys look make the Chargers' current mess of an identity look even worse then it usually does.

That metallic blue-silver and royal blue color scheme is amazing. If the Cowboys went back to that, they would own it to such a degree no other team would be able to wear anything close. Why so many board members here want to make them just another navy blue and silver team is beyond me.

Yep - still the Cowboys as they were when I grew up.

By the way when they wear the navy/silver set while the jersey and pants match the helmet is still "blue-er" and doesn't match.

Archived