NBA 2013-14 Season Thread

TJKiddsHead

Because DScruggy729 mentioned in the offseason thread that it was time enough to start it.

Some pressing questions heading into the season:

How bad will the 76ers be?

How good will D.Rose look now that he's back from his decade-long hiatus?

How long will the media ESPN try to convince us that the Lakers aren't irrelevant?

How far will we get into the season before it's obvious which teams are tanking and which are just genuinely dreadful?

How much will Adam Silver be booed on the podium when he presents the Larry O'Brien trophy to the NBA champs next June?

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will answer those questions accordingly.

The 76ers will promptly finish last in the East after their GM promptly throws away their future.

Derrick Rose won't be the same, but will still be a massive upgrade before for Chicago at PG.

Until February, when they hit the 40+ plus loss mark and start tanking again.

January will be when we start to see the 76ers and Celtics pull of tankapaloza.

About as much as David Stern was during the 2012 NBA Draft.

Also, apparently Andrew Wiggins wants to play in Toronto. Question is, is he worth blowing the team up for? I say yes. I mean, Toronto has had a lot of stars but none have ever wanted to play for them, and Wiggins does.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Unlike most people, I predict a more fun Lakers year. Given how the team is usually burdened with lengthy expectations and heavily criticized for not reaching them for the slightest reasons, it's really nice for a change to have a season where reaching the playoffs is considered a success.

It'll be nice to see some of the young players taking a higher role in this team, while the older cast make their final pushes, possibly of their careers. This kind of mindset in Lakerland is reminiscent of their teams in the mid-1990s: average team at best but with lots of heart, playing fun basketball, having lower-than-normal expectations, and their fans being more appreciative of the team than in the contending years.

This season will also test out which Laker fans remain loyal to the team, and which people will bolt to the current "it" teams because they're championship-ready right now (Heat, Clippers, Bulls, etc).

I'm excited for the Clippers' offense. Now that there's finally a couple of legit shooters in the starting lineup in Redick and Dudley, it should be potent. Redick in particular fits really well with CP3, and Dudley might be the most underappreciated role player in the NBA. Also looking forward to seeing the new and improved face-up game that Blake's supposedly been working on during the offseason. And the bench somehow looks to be as good as last year's even with the losses of Bledsoe and Odom.

Defense remains somewhat of a question mark, but I'm hoping that this will be sorted out with an actual defensive scheme for once and some lasting improvement from DeAndre Jordan, now that he finally has a coach who believes in him. Hopefully every team in the league won't be torching them from three every night like last year.

Speaking of the coach, Doc's been even better than I expected so far. He's said all the right things, he's given the franchise an unprecedented level of credibility, and you can tell that the team has the right mindset this year. I'm looking forward to some actual plays coming out of time-outs for once, so that'll be nice. Bill Simmons being extremely asspained over Doc's mere presence in LA is another cool side benefit, because :censored: Bill Simmons.

Overall, it should be a fun ride. As a long-suffering fan of this franchise, it feels good to finally have a team that expects to win.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I'm hoping my Wizards can finally make the playoffs this year, it's been 6 long years since they've made it. Ever since we got John Wall back we went 24-24, if that lasted a full year we would've made the 8th seed last year. Besides, Wall, Beal, Nene, and Okafor have all had an offseason to get healthy. Plus the addition of Otto Porter, even though he looked disappointing in summer league. I really like what I saw out of Glen Rice Jr. in the summer league, we drafted him from the D-League and he looked like he could really contend for some minutes this year. I really think they have a great shot to make the playoffs, even if we get swept by the Heat, Pacers, or Bulls. Who cares. It's progress. After how abysmal they've been over the last 4-5 years making the playoffs would really show the league we're moving in the right direction. It's definitely possible too. Assuming everyone stays healthy, (big assumption there) the last 3 spots in the East seem to be wide open. I have high hopes for the Wizards this year, unlike last year when they were crushed by Wall's injury. But if the end of last year has any indication, the Wizards may be able to play their first postseason game since 07. Which is desperately needed for a franchise that seems to have lost a lot of it's fan support, and is starting to get it back. We've gotten rid of that punk-ass attitude that guys like JaVale McGee brought to the team. There's a long road to go, but I believe the Wizards are honestly going in the right direction.

Since I'm departing Basically Sports and have had some revelations about my fan-ness, I'm considering doing a season-specific blog about an NBA team that I don't follow. I'd rather it be about one of the non-marquee franchises in the game.

That being said I don't know which one to choose. Anyone have any suggestions and reasons why they'd be interesting?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Since I'm departing Basically Sports and have had some revelations about my fan-ness, I'm considering doing a season-specific blog about an NBA team that I don't follow. I'd rather it be about one of the non-marquee franchises in the game.

That being said I don't know which one to choose. Anyone have any suggestions and reasons why they'd be interesting?

Maybe try the Nuggets?

As a fan, I can honestly say I have no idea which direction the team is going this season. They could be a playoff team and a top 5 seed, or they could be in the bottom five, it's just a huge unknown right now.

You could always try the Suns.

Terrible Owner

New Turn for a franchise

Young Players

Terrible Uniform

Portland would be a good choice. Good team, small market, stars like Damian Lillard and LaMarcus Aldridge.

I'm excited for the Clippers' offense. Now that there's finally a couple of legit shooters in the starting lineup in Redick and Dudley, it should be potent. Redick in particular fits really well with CP3, and Dudley might be the most underappreciated role player in the NBA. Also looking forward to seeing the new and improved face-up game that Blake's supposedly been working on during the offseason. And the bench somehow looks to be as good as last year's even with the losses of Bledsoe and Odom.

Defense remains somewhat of a question mark, but I'm hoping that this will be sorted out with an actual defensive scheme for once and some lasting improvement from DeAndre Jordan, now that he finally has a coach who believes in him. Hopefully every team in the league won't be torching them from three every night like last year.

Speaking of the coach, Doc's been even better than I expected so far. He's said all the right things, he's given the franchise an unprecedented level of credibility, and you can tell that the team has the right mindset this year. I'm looking forward to some actual plays coming out of time-outs for once, so that'll be nice. Bill Simmons being extremely asspained over Doc's mere presence in LA is another cool side benefit, because :censored: Bill Simmons.

Overall, it should be a fun ride. As a long-suffering fan of this franchise, it feels good to finally have a team that expects to win.

I watched some of the Clips-Blazers game last night, and even though its preseason (first game at that), Jordan looked really good out there. The team as a whole look to be a lot more improved with better emphasis on defense and a real offensive system out there finally after three years of Del Negro's "roll out the ball and let CP3 and Chauncey do their thing" system.

They're having a scrimmage at USC tomorrow night...looking forward to see elements of the new system in person.

I think there's a clear cut bottom 7 of:

Philadelphia

Orlando

Phoenix

Charlotte

Utah

Sacramento

Boston

Next tier:

Milwaukee (lost their 2 best offensive players)

Toronto

Playoff bubble teams in a wide-open field:

Washington

Detroit

Cleveland

Atlanta

Denver

Minnesota

Portland

New Orleans

Dallas

LA Lakers

The contenders:

Miami

San Antonio

Chicago

Indiana

Brooklyn

Oklahoma City

Houston

LA Clippers

Golden State (I pick them winning the West)

Memphis

A step below but still solid:

New York

sig.png

How about Sacramento. With the soap opera that's been the Kings for the past couple of seasons, new ownership and arena drama things should at least be interesting and nothing screams non-marquee like Sacramento.

Obviously, it's a homer pick...the T-Wolves. They were miserable last year (as they always are), but Kevin Love barely played, Rubio was coming back from injury and pretty much everyone was injured at some point. This year they could miss the playoffs or they could get home court for a round (OK, that's probably a stretch). They also acquired Rony Turiaf, one of the genuinely good people in sports (in terms of being charitable with time and money), if that matters. Shabazz Muhammad could be an interesting story; a likely bust who has shown talent and has a potential upside. Also there is Robbie Hummel (in camp, for now anyway), who has had atrocious luck with injuries and someone most fans would hope can at least make the team.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I think the Pistons would be an interesting choice. They have two promising young big men in Drummond and Monroe, then added Brandon Jennings and Josh Smith, as well as reuniting with Chauncey Billups. I don't know exactly how they'll do, (6th to 12th in the East is their range probably) but Detroit will be interesting to watch.

The Bucks might be interesting for the morbid fascination of watching the one NBA team that strives for finishing in 9th place in the Conference.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived