NBA 2013-14 Season Thread

TJKiddsHead

The love for Kobe Bryant absolutely defies reason. Isn't he a statistically awful shooter on a game's last shot? I guess it's considered a good thing to make 25% of such shots while insisting upon taking 100% of them.

It's all self-perpetuating media bull :censored:. They repeat "Kobe's clutch" in defiance of all statistics, logic, or reason over and over again until players and casual fans alike blindly accept it as fact. Yet another reason why the NBA has by far the worst media coverage of all the major sports.

Also, thanks to the fact that the NBA's marketing department is still clinging to a largely mythical image of Michael Jordan, LeBron's team-oriented style of play is sadly promoted as "unclutch" and "mentally weak" even though it is far more effective than Kobe's selfish isoball.

This is giving me a headache. Do you want a league/sport driven by stars or do you want a selfless team game? Is LeBron's polarizing ascent to multiple championships better or worse for the NBA than if the Spurs layup their way to routine trophies? It's intensely difficult to have it both ways.

edit: and for what it's worth here's Kobe/Jordan/LeBron's "clutch stats."

U8SMksl.png

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you want a league/sport driven by stars or do you want a selfless team game?

We pretty much have both at the same time right now - stars like LeBron, CP3, Dirk, Duncan, etc. are far more team-oriented than the iso-chucking wannabe Jordans of old. The problem is that the media - full of airheads like Stephen A. and Skip and a bunch of bitter old former players - hasn't caught up to this change and is still stuck in a mythical version of the '90s where Jordan apparently always took and made the last shot every night. Through that lens, the best player on the team actively looking to make the smartest basketball play late in close games instead of heroballing is seen as unforgivable and a sign of "weakness."

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

It is pretty weak when the team's best player passes the ball instead of attempting the most important shot of the game. Sure, it might be the "smart basketball play", but there's something to be said about the best player taking the shot.

No one gets celebrated for making a game-winning assist......doesn't mean dick if the shot is missed.

It is pretty weak when the team's best player passes the ball instead of attempting the most important shot of the game. Sure, it might be the "smart basketball play", but there's something to be said about the best player taking the shot.

Steve Kerr and John Paxson say hi.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Say these two missed their shots. What would Chicago fans be more miffed with: "How could Kerr/Paxson miss a wide-open 3-pointer?", or "Why didn't Jordan take the shot?"?

I'm not saying it's dumb to pass the ball to an open player....I'm just saying it's weak when the best player on the team passes up the chance to take the most important shot of the game, especially when the game of basketball allows a singular player to take over a game.

Clippers are finally covering up those unseemly yellow banners that hang in Staples. Thank you, Doc!

1394323_10151932432937641_2092995592_n.j

That's awesome. Good for them.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Clippers are finally covering up those unseemly yellow banners that hang in Staples. Thank you, Doc!

1394323_10151932432937641_2092995592_n.j

Doc Rivers is very proactive in keeping the Clippers focus ahead, and he's dead-serious on this. Great pickup on their part and it shows already.

Now let's see if it translates to the court...

The conversion crew at Staples Center has got to be the most in-shape crew in the NBA/NHL.

They have to have been the weekend in May 2012, where six combined events took place at Staples within a three-day period.

Don't forget Robert Horry.

Derek Fisher also says, "hello!"

Going to have to agree with Hedley here. If the game's on the line you should want the ball in the hands of your best player.

Sorry, that's just dumb. You should want the ball in the hands of the best player for the situation. Say the Shaq/Kobe Lakers are down by 3 with a few seconds left. Shaq was the best player on those teams until near the end, do you want the ball in his hands? Me, I'd draw up a play for Fisher or Horry, guys known for knocking down threes.

On the Heat, Lebron and Wade are streaky three-point shooters. If the game's on the line and they need a three, I'd rather see Ray Allen take that shot. Wade & Lebron should handle the ball, but Ray Allen should be the preferred shooter in that situation.

Where did this mindset come from? It doesn't make any sense. You play the game according to your strengths. If your best player isn't your best ballhandler (like a PF or C), then you probably shouldn't put him in a situation where he's handling the ball at a key moment. If your best player isn't a high-percentage 3-Point shooter, then it's probably a bad idea to draw up a play for him when you need a 3 to tie the game, especially when you have a better option. That's what role players are there for, to fill a role. Clutch shooting is a role, just like defense, ballhandling, and rebounding are. If your best player struggles in any of those areas, it's usually a good idea to acquire a player who specializes in those areas, and trust them to do their job when the time comes.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

From my neck of the woods:

Jazz sign PF Derrick Favors to $49M, 4-Year Deal

All I can say is good--I feel that he has shown the most promise out of Utah's top 5 (Favors, Hayward, Kanter, Burks, and Burke) to date.* Many are saying that a deal with Hayward will be coming soon, as well.

*Though, for Trey Burke, it's still way too early to make any kind of prediction--especially with a broken finger.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Derrick Rose has been playing great this preseason. I was doubtful everyone that was saying he looked better this summer than ever before, but it looks like there's a chance that's true. I really like the Bulls chances if Rose is at least back to the old Rose. I obviously wouldn't pick them over the Heat, but I think they match up really well against them.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Bradley Beal also went off as well. If either one of them are going to make the All-Star team anytime soon (they both have it in them), Beal might make it first because of the relative lack of good SG's compared to good PG's. We may be the living in golden era for point guards.

Archived