2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

The new Cubs jersey is still way better than their current road

I disagree. It has the same glaring fault as the current roads - color balance. They need to just use characters like on the home jersey - blue outlined in red. While this jersey doesn't fix that, it adds two huge new problems - it deviates from the Cubs' proprietary font for no reason and uses the team name (and not even the primary logo) instead of the city name. Oh, and let's remember the mismatched piping. They took a bad jersey and made it worse.

As for the what the Cubs should put on their roads, a straight block font would be fine for the wordmark, but I think a rounded font matches better with their numbers and logos. I think cursive wouldn't work well for them because 1) the Sox use it already; and 2) they have never used it before. I have long said it should basically be a revamped version of their late '60s set. Seriously, this is great. Just slap a name on the back, probably come up with a new sleeve patch (because the current ones blow) and this would be one of the best road sets in baseball.

pMLB2-2980976dt.jpg

Okay, first of all, the Cubs used a road uniform in the past that looked a lot like the one they are going to use this year for about 6 years in the 20's, so I have no problem with them going to that. Would it be better to use a font closer to what they use in the "C"ubs or the number font? Sure. What they should do is just make a grey version of the "C"ubs and be done with it. As far as them never using a cursive script, you have to do research and know uniform history better, because they have used a cursive script. Two of them as a matter of fact in the 30's.

Picture2-2.png

Picture3.png

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it a one-year road alt, like to celebrate the anniversary or something? Or is this thing the alt until further notice? If the latter, then yikes. I don't hate it nearly as much as most of you, I just don't get why they need it.

I'd love their roads to be one of the following:

1. A Chicago script (with or without a tail) similar to the Bulls or White Sox script. Obviously the fact that the White Sox use it makes it very unlikely that they'd go with something like it. Maybe a tail would separate it enough.

A script like this would be great, I think:

$(KGrHqNHJE4FCbLWo+,9BQupo0mdVg~~60_57.J

Where have I seen that before....oh

chicago-white-sox-road-grey-mlb-replica-

Speaking of the White Sox, are they going to change the sleeve striping on their road jersey this year so that it matches the pointless change they made to the striping on their road pants last year?

I disagree. It has the same glaring fault as the current roads - color balance. They need to just use characters like on the home jersey - blue outlined in red. While this jersey doesn't fix that, it adds two huge new problems - it deviates from the Cubs' proprietary font for no reason and uses the team name (and not even the primary logo) instead of the city name. Oh, and let's remember the mismatched piping. They took a bad jersey and made it worse.

As for the what the Cubs should put on their roads, a straight block font would be fine for the wordmark, but I think a rounded font matches better with their numbers and logos. I think cursive wouldn't work well for them because 1) the Sox use it already; and 2) they have never used it before. I have long said it should basically be a revamped version of their late '60s set. Seriously, this is great. Just slap a name on the back, probably come up with a new sleeve patch (because the current ones blow) and this would be one of the best road sets in baseball.

pMLB2-2980976dt.jpg

Majestic needs to get off their butts and develop a new grey fabric that looks like the old wool road uniforms. That grey jersey looks so much better than the shade of grey teams currently use.

I will say, the presentation is killing this Cubs road jersey. Looks like someone has their pants hiked to their belly button. It MIGHT look a little better in real life.

The other question is whether it will have pants to match. The only thing that could make this look even worse would be if they wore this top with their stripeless road pants. Not going to put it past them though.

pMLB2-2980976dt.jpg

Majestic needs to get off their butts and develop a new grey fabric that looks like the old wool road uniforms. That grey jersey looks so much better than the shade of grey teams currently use.

It took years for Majestic to develop one universal shade of grey. I don't have a lot of faith they can get their act together to adjust the shading.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Okay, first of all, the Cubs used a road uniform in the past that looked a lot like the one they are going to use this year for about 6 years in the 20's, so I have no problem with them going to that. Would it be better to use a font closer to what they use in the "C"ubs or the number font? Sure. What they should do is just make a grey version of the "C"ubs and be done with it. As far as them never using a cursive script, you have to do research and know uniform history better, because they have used a cursive script. Two of them as a matter of fact in the 30's.

Picture2-2.png

Picture3.png

Okay, I stand corrected about them never using a script "Chicago." Still, them having used it for two years in the '30s doesn't make it any more appropriate for them.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

So the 2014 shirts are out, I'm pretty sure the mariners thankfully are remaining the same.

But what is this? Do I spy a new majestic logo!? And jocktags on tshirts now?

pMLB2-16253204dt.jpg

Much better Majestic logo, simplified and stronger.

Develop one shade of gray? You make or sound like that's a good thing.

That's a sign of Majestic taking a step backwards, not "getting its act together". Teams used to be able to select grays that better matched their team colors, now they're shoehorned into one.

They also can't get the damn cool base vents to match on the gray jerseys, and a lot of teams, like the Reds, the gray tops are a noticeably different color than the pants. It looks terrible.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Develop one shade of gray? You make or sound like that's a good thing.

That's a sign of Majestic taking a step backwards, not "getting its act together". Teams used to be able to select grays that better matched their team colors, now they're shoehorned into one.

They also can't get the damn cool base vents to match on the gray jerseys, and a lot of teams, like the Reds, the gray tops are a noticeably different color than the pants. It looks terrible.

What I meant by "develop one shade of grey" was specifically referring to COOLBASE. Majestic couldn't produce grey COOLBASE initially, and I think it was 2 seasons before they finally had a grey that was acceptable. Hence, one shade of grey. In the past, they could produce doubleknit in the various shades that teams wore, but for some reason, they couldn't do the same in COOLBASE. And then there are the issue of the vents. It all becomes even more noticeable when teams have players wearing both doubleknit and COOLBASE, like Cincy or Oakland or Cleveland.

The pants are still being made out of doubleknit and not the COOLBASE material, so teams should still be able to get a variety of shades.

Considering where Majestic was ("we can't make grey COOLBASE at all"), getting a single shade was getting their act together. And that's why I have no faith in them making a variety of shades. For them, the single shade IS the solution.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

So the 2014 shirts are out, I'm pretty sure the mariners thankfully are remaining the same.

pMLB2-16253204dt.jpg

I think that's a screened jock tag there at the bottom.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

MPaJ1Yr.png

What's the deal with the duck?
Gracie the Goose (they give them away whenever they honor Mark Grace)

This thing looks like a mashup of dodgers road uniforms (aside from the block letters) over the last 20 years. It also reminds me of something I'd see at an LA swap meet where they sell generic city based team gear in local pro team colors as a low budget alternative that seems to be very popular among the landscaping professionals in socal.

pMLB2-16253204dt.jpg

I think that's a screened jock tag there at the bottom.

If it is anything like the design from past two years it is a screen printed jock tag

pMLB2-11848896dt.jpg

pMLB2-13342410dt.jpg

I think the Cubs are using this year's slew of alternates as a scatter-test to see which is the most successful, then imbuing those elements into a 2015 rebrand.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived