2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

It's scenes like this makes me understand that while the NFL generates $1.2B in jersey sales and the NBA $900M, MLB generates significantly less at $400M. Baseball, if you want to close the gap, go button-free.

Be7V_BQCAAAYAwc.jpg

and yeah, the M's and any other team would look so much better under any of my proposals. Time for a culture change in baseball. Lowest jersey sales among the Big 3 sports and average age of a World Series viewer was 55. MLB may claim to be a $8B a year industry but what about long term?

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being a Mariners fan, I have thought that the past several seasons were a sneak preview of a welcomed brand change to when the Mariners looked their best. Be it giveaways like this t-shirt and the colors of the 'King's Court' give me hope that there is indeed something to look forward to.

Be8CqnYCQAArAFQ.jpg

BU3-3J6CUAA3FzI.jpg

It's scenes like this makes me understand that while the NFL generates $1.2B in jersey sales and the NBA $900M, MLB generates significantly less at $400M. Baseball, if you want to close the gap, go button-free.

Be7V_BQCAAAYAwc.jpg

and yeah, the M's and any other team would look so much better under any of my proposals. Time for a culture change in baseball. Lowest jersey sales among the Big 3 sports and average age of a World Series viewer was 55. MLB may claim to be a $8B a year industry but what about long term?

well the MLB doesn't produce as many jerseys, they make most of their revenue from hats, jackets, and T's and ticket sales, amongst other things, other sports don't sell as many hats as the MLB does, and the NBA probably matches in T shirts, the biggest thing for the NFL is Jerseys, but also probably match the MLB in jacket and cold gear sales. also the MLB has ticket sales for 162 games a year versus the NFL's 16 and NBA's 82, and you need to take into account concessions sales as well. so as a whole that is where they make up dollars to the NFL. Also for your comment about thinking about the long term, the MLB has been around for over 100 years, they know what they are doing and they will be around for much much longer.

Be7V_BQCAAAYAwc.jpg

What proof do you have that pullovers would result in more jersey sales?

Be7V_BQCAAAYAwc.jpg

What proof do you have that pullovers would result in more jersey sales?

Everyone knows MLB would have twice the merchandise revenue if teams went button-free. The demand is overwhelming. You wonder why Adidas is making NBA button-free t-shirts??

:upside:

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

No, why would you ever have buttons on a basketball jersey of any type. No one wonders that. It's an indoor sport that requires way more running and contact than baseball.

It's a joke.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

No, why would you ever have buttons on a basketball jersey of any type. No one wonders that. It's an indoor sport that requires way more running and contact than baseball.

They tryna go for that "Corporate look" along with ads on the jerseys (jk).

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

NFL Jerseys are just long Tshirts, NBA jerseys are Tank Tops and MLB jerseys are too heavy and hot. NFL and NBA jerseys are good for Spring/Summer, MLB jerseys aren't. BUT i see twice as many MLB Shirseys as i see any Jersey/Shirsey from any other sport combined. MLB is fine.

Be7V_BQCAAAYAwc.jpg

I'm completely lost at his points. First of all, he wants the Mariners to go to a clearly inferior look (colors, etc.) to what they have now? And now he's blaming the lack of MLB sales on this picture of jerseys that have buttons on them? Is anyone out there besides him, seeing any semblance of an intelligent argument? I'm not.

I don't see the problem. There are plenty of pullover baseball shirts & jerseys to buy. Cooperstown Collection is a thing. I personally prefer to wear pullover jerseys because they're more sensible for most days. But would I want to see my favorite sport go back to such a casual look? Hell no. That's the best thing about baseball - uniforms are so professionally put together. Nothing's stopping you or other fans from purchasing pullover jerseys.

If they had a teal or navy one, I'd consider voting, but those three are pretty hideous.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

No!! While they have always been for sale, this just tells me they ARE going to dust these crappy hats off and probably put them in their away rotation. First it started with the black BP cap, then the black away BP jersey, now it seems as though we will see pinstriped, sleeveles unitorms again and the dark ages aren't far off... just like when they wore black at home in the early 2000's.

Why can't they follow the Rangers leave and just drop the black drop shadows, etc and go back to classic red and white. Black sells. It's a s simple as that. However, it looks horrible when you pair it with the REDS.

I'll still have to see it to believe it. The writer didn't specifically say he had spoken with someone from the Reds about this. As was mentioned earlier, these caps have been an official option every year since the 2007 uniform change.

CTrent confirmed yesterday on Twitter:https://twitter.com/ctrent/statuses/427511583439200258

No!! While they have always been for sale, this just tells me they ARE going to dust these crappy hats off and probably put them in their away rotation. First it started with the black BP cap, then the black away BP jersey, now it seems as though we will see pinstriped, sleeveles unitorms again and the dark ages aren't far off... just like when they wore black at home in the early 2000's.

Why can't they follow the Rangers leave and just drop the black drop shadows, etc and go back to classic red and white. Black sells. It's a s simple as that. However, it looks horrible when you pair it with the REDS.

I'll still have to see it to believe it. The writer didn't specifically say he had spoken with someone from the Reds about this. As was mentioned earlier, these caps have been an official option every year since the 2007 uniform change.

CTrent confirmed yesterday on Twitter:https://twitter.com/ctrent/statuses/427511583439200258

Okay, I guess that makes it official. Bring on 2001. C. Trent implied that he made it clear with his original blog post that the Reds had confirmed this, but he did not.

Okay, I guess that makes it official. Bring on 2001. C. Trent implied that he made it clear with his original blog post that the Reds had confirmed this, but he did not.

I agree. Not sure if the caravan participants did it on their own or if was a request of the club, but the new black BP jerseys got a lot of pics on the tour (from La Marre especially). It will be interesting to see if the black hats become common or are used for just a few games. It's a pity, but the Reds could solve a few (but certainly not all) problems by simply making the current home hat the ONLY hat. But, you know, as soon as I get Castellini on the phone...

My stance on the Mariners has been that they should change their logos and colors as soon as you can show me something better than what they have. Those King's Court shirts aren't it.

Also, baseball tried to go button-free already and it looked stupid.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived