2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

For whatever this is worth, during my time living in Kuwait I found that many official businesss, clergy, and Parliament meetings, some of which I got to sit in on, were/are conducted not in Arabic, but in English.

(You also probably wouldn't believe just how deep the Western influence runs over there...but that's another topic for another thread in another forum.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's perhaps natural that English has become the de facto international language, since the largest Empire of the 19th century and hegemon of the 20th both spoke it as their primary tongue.

Regardless, it is not the official language of the United States. And our national history is full of immigrants coming over here and holding on to their old tongue for a generation or three before fully assimilating. We have been an (unofficially) multi-language country for at least a hundred years. So I don't really understand the objection to the Spanish-language jerseys, other than as a general objection to alternates watering down a team's design.

For whatever this is worth, during my time living in Kuwait I found that many official businesss, clergy, and Parliament meetings, some of which I got to sit in on, were/are conducted not in Arabic, but in English.

(You also probably wouldn't believe just how deep the Western influence runs over there...but that's another topic for another thread in another forum.)

for business that is because the universal language of business is indeed english. And with baseball being a business EVERYTHING should be in english

I had to look up your reference. Then I saw it was a Star Trek reference, and didn't even want to respond.

Really? "LOL YOU'RE SO NOT COOL LIKE ME BECAUSE STAR TREK IS LAME"? That's what you're resorting to in the name of getting a pot shot in?

Um...no. Not at all. I've never watched the show, thus I didn't get the reference. When I realized it was from a fictional program, it lost any credibility (not that it likely would have had any anyways given the context). I would have had the same reaction if he referenced a fictional TV show or movie, even if I liked it.

I applaud your pathetic and failed attempt at trying to read into what I was saying.

1368351841_applause-gif-3.gif

That GIF is from a fictional program. You and the GIF just lost all credibility.
1360594157044.gif

Had let it go, but since he circled us back to this topic... saw this on another thread and it was too perfect.

I had to look up your reference. Then I saw it was a Star Trek reference, and didn't even want to respond.

Really? "LOL YOU'RE SO NOT COOL LIKE ME BECAUSE STAR TREK IS LAME"? That's what you're resorting to in the name of getting a pot shot in?

Um...no. Not at all. I've never watched the show, thus I didn't get the reference. When I realized it was from a fictional program, it lost any credibility (not that it likely would have had any anyways given the context). I would have had the same reaction if he referenced a fictional TV show or movie, even if I liked it.

I applaud your pathetic and failed attempt at trying to read into what I was saying.

1368351841_applause-gif-3.gif

That GIF is from a fictional program. You and the GIF just lost all credibility.
1360594157044.gif

Had let it go, but since he circled us back to this topic... saw this on another thread and it was too perfect.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

qjmf8gfss7kivgth30eo3f19b_zps05455a47.giiko8i2w57la790evvqfhvre2f_zpsf00d15d5.gicdxd8xpogngx4cr7dnlwdghfp_zpsc521828f.gi89551301999_zpsdc887eb0.gif?t=1392410149

Anyway.......

The Pirates' new BP jersey is terrible. We already have enough "outline" jerseys (Braves road alt, Rays navy, Angels alt) and it's a shame to see another. Reminds me of the special Christmas day jerseys the NBA put out last season.

It's funny, the Pirates one is the only one I really like. Maybe it's the gold outline.

for business that is because the universal language of business is indeed english. And with baseball being a business EVERYTHING should be in english

You're free to open a business that doesn't communicate in English (other than to the IRS I suppose) if you're willing to forego sales to the demographic that only speaks that language. Just like you're free to open a business that communicates exclusively in English, as long as you're willing to forego sales to the demographic that speaks their native language. If you run a business and want to market your product or service to as many people possible, then it makes sense to do it in as many languages as is practical based on your particular circumstances.

Everyone's experiences here are different, but where I live there are businesses that are exclusively Chinese, Russian, Hispanic, etc. Sure they'd try their best to work with me if I went in to buy a sandwich or paint brush or suit or whatever, but not being multi-lingual, it's not going to be as easy for me to do business at those shops as it would with ones that did everything in English. And you know what? So what. There's plenty of options for everyone in America, that's part of what makes (or at least what should make it) great. You don't have to give up your heritage or "assimilate" when you come here seeking a better life. Of course, you will probably have more success if you do learn the language, but it's not and should not be a requirement.

I have found in my experience that most (definitely not all) of the "English Only!" crowd is from rural areas where there's not a lot of diversity, much like a lot of racists are from rural areas that aren't really well integrated. It's funny that many if not the majority of people who live in urban areas where they are surrounded by people of all different colors and national backgrounds have lttle or no problem with anyone doing "their thing".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Anyway.......

The Pirates' new BP jersey is terrible. We already have enough "outline" jerseys (Braves road alt, Rays navy, Angels alt) and it's a shame to see another. Reminds me of the special Christmas day jerseys the NBA put out last season.

Exactly. And, like the old A's version, the cap and jersey lettering color scheme doesn't work together.

I have found in my experience that most (definitely not all) of the "English Only!" crowd is from rural areas where there's not a lot of diversity, much like a lot of racists are from rural areas that aren't really well integrated. It's funny that many if not the majority of people who live in urban areas where they are surrounded by people of all different colors and national backgrounds have lttle or no problem with anyone doing "their thing".

I would say that racists don't always live in rural areas. Plenty of people in urban areas that aren't well-integrated are racist.

Don't be fooled that you have to be white to be racist.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I would say that racists don't always live in rural areas. Plenty of people in urban areas that aren't well-integrated are racist.

Of course not. It's just that typically the whites are in the positions where their racism carries greater influence. Of course there are urban racists of all colors (except purple. I've never met a racist purple person). I'm basing my opinions on my experiences in college, my experiences working with people from all over the country, my experiences living both in affluent suburbs, glitzy parts of the city, and now the inner city. It's my opinion that most racist or "USA!" people (I'll through in homophobes as well) are from areas where they have little to no real experience with the group that they hate, and hate them "just because".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Of course not. It's just that typically the whites are in the positions where their racism carries greater influence. Of course there are urban racists of all colors (except purple. I've never met a racist purple person). I'm basing my opinions on my experiences in college, my experiences working with people from all over the country, my experiences living both in affluent suburbs, glitzy parts of the city, and now the inner city. It's my opinion that most racist or "USA!" people (I'll through in homophobes as well) are from areas where they have little to no real experience with the group that they hate, and hate them "just because".

It's just xenophobia.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

No, i think it´s just the opposite, they hate certain people because they DO have had experiences with them, and they were not good.

I don't think that P works particularly well as a chest logo, but it definitely shouldn't have a white outline - especially not one that has yellow on both sides of it. I like the idea of the Pirates being black and "gold", using white only because that's the base of the home uniform. I don't think that white is needed on any of the non-home uniforms, nor is that alternate cap necessary (even considering the current alt black jersey.)

My fellow brothren. We come together here every.. year, to talk about the updates, changes, and new releases of uniforms in the MLB, not to debate about the uses of patriotic symbolism in uniforms and the intricacies of countries and their official language. So please, let's keep it on topic and not get preachy.

Thank you all

- Cristophe Creamer

My fellow brothren. We come together here every.. year, to talk about the updates, changes, and new releases of uniforms in the MLB, not to debate about the uses of patriotic symbolism in uniforms and the intricacies of countries and their official language. So please, let's keep it on topic and not get preachy.

Thank you all

- Cristophe Creamer

He's got a point

Archived