2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

I declare the following teams pinstripable:

Yankees, White Sox, Twins, Mets, Phillies (but please not in fire-engine red, which makes them look pink), Cubs, and Brewers. That's plenty

I sorta agree with this list, but could go either way with the White Sox and Brewers. I grew up with the Brewers in pinstripes, but the stripe period was only in the middle of their history. I kinda feel like once you drop it, it's dropped. I wish the White Sox re-adopted their gimmick of changing uniforms every 3 years. This run is unprecedented. They've been sans stripe an awful lot in their history, but their most notable looks are with the stripes.

Either way, teams like the Astros had no business going with that look. Hey - we're space age! So we're going to wear classic pinstripes with an old-style western script.

As for the Phillies - if they used the same style stripes as the Yankees, they wouldn't look pink. I think the Yankees are woven in "zig zag" stripes, while the Phillies (and a lot of other pinstriped teams) are just printed or not as elegantly applied. Also, pinstripe teams should wear raglan sleeves, like the Yankees and Cubs.

FWIW, while the 50's "whiz kids" era Phillies uniform is probably considered their "classic" uniform (though most probably first think of the Shchmidt era maroons), I think that if they aren't going to do it right, and they insist on wearing the cheap stripes and the cartoonish wordmark and numbers, then they should just drop it all together and be a cream team - not like their current alt, but closer to their 40s set, or even earlier. This is just ranting at this point, but their current alt needs blue socks / stirrups and either blue or black belt and shoes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However, I hear every day Mets fans calling into WFAN and just asking the simple question of why they can't be that?

"Louie in Ronkonkoma, yuh awn the air, what's up."

"Yeah, why can't the Mets spend money like the Yankees?"

"Theyuh nawt the Yankees! Okay? They'll nevuh BE the Yankees. Okay? Okay? You're tawkin' about duh most GLARIOUS franchise in spaughts he-uh! No one's EVUH gonna be the Yankees. Except the Yankees. Look, I, uh. Okay? I...I...I...I don't know woy you'd think they'd evuh be the Yankees. No one can evuh be the Yankees because theyuh can only be ONE Yankees. Which is the Yankees. Okay? I, ah, I just, ah, I don't unduhstand woy that's a question. Look. You, uh, you wait awn hald fuh fawty-five minutes to ask about the Mets being the Yankees. Theyuh nawt the Yankees. Okay? We shouldn't have to ansuh that kinda question. Okay? I mean, uh, if you wawnna team to be the Yankees, watch the Yankees. Unbelievable. Okay? Mawty in Five Towns, what's up."

Bwahahahahahahahaha!!! Is that your basic New York version of the Florida Gators fans in Big Trouble, or are you specifically doing Mike Francesa, because while I find the gist of that answer to not be his response, it does play like a greatest hits of him dealing with some callers. Amazing.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The "MLB The Show" video game has used Heyward in that same uniform combination in promo pieces. I've wondered if the hat will find its way into the usual mix of gear since the colors match the current shades rather than the lighter 1970s tones. I wouldn't mind that if it was used sparingly. I think it's a nice look overall.

v3ndr5.jpg

It's actually funny you linked to a Suzyn Waldman mention, because the way you were writing your words you could have easily been emulating her, especially her Roger Clemens "Bwox" episode.

Surprised given all the caps that you were using a rather calm clip. Expected something more like this.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The "MLB The Show" video game has used Heyward in that same uniform combination in promo pieces. I've wondered if the hat will find its way into the usual mix of gear since the colors match the current shades rather than the lighter 1970s tones. I wouldn't mind that if it was used sparingly. I think it's a nice look overall.

v3ndr5.jpg

I don't know why they are using that Braves hat in promotional stuff because it's not even in the game, only the 1970's one is.

bSLCtu2.png

Either way, teams like the Astros had no business going with that look. Hey - we're space age! So we're going to wear classic pinstripes with an old-style western script.

I agree. It was as stupid as the Toronto Blue Jays wearing black.

all_teams_sig_classic_small.pngall_teams_sig4_small.png

What was stupid was the large amount of black. It should have been mostly that gorgeous blue, with some black and gray. Get rid of the ridiculous cap logo, change the script, and you would have had a winner.

tumblr_lgp17srmW21qac6sjo1_500.jpgTORONTO-BLUE-JAYS-VS-BOSTON-RED-SOX.jpg

What was stupid was the large amount of black. It should have been mostly that gorgeous blue, with some black and gray. Get rid of the ridiculous cap logo, change the script, and you would have had a winner.

It's interesting that they went from "Blue Jays" to "Jays" and dropped a lot of the blue and went to the grey, black look. If you do a little research, there's a Grey Jay that lives in the Northern U.S. and Canada. This is just me guessing, but I think someone somewhere, probably saw one or learned about one and pushed for the "Blue" to be dropped and just have it be a generic jay with a hint of blue to pay tribute to the "Blue Jays". That's what I'm seeing someone pitching in the creative. It could've worked if done right, but they found a way to do it wrong.

It's interesting that they went from "Blue Jays" to "Jays" and dropped a lot of the blue and went to the grey, black look. If you do a little research, there's a Grey Jay that lives in the Northern U.S. and Canada. This is just me guessing, but I think someone somewhere, probably saw one or learned about one and pushed for the "Blue" to be dropped and just have it be a generic jay with a hint of blue to pay tribute to the "Blue Jays". That's what I'm seeing someone pitching in the creative. It could've worked if done right, but they found a way to do it wrong.

Ultimately, BLUE Jays fans hated the "black" jay era. Jersey and hat sales will show that.

Ultimately, BLUE Jays fans hated the "black" jay era. Jersey and hat sales will show that.

That was probably my favorite Jays look. Even though I'm a big fan of red, white, and blue, I really liked the black and blue look.

2ly2w09.jpg

The "MLB The Show" video game has used Heyward in that same uniform combination in promo pieces. I've wondered if the hat will find its way into the usual mix of gear since the colors match the current shades rather than the lighter 1970s tones. I wouldn't mind that if it was used sparingly. I think it's a nice look overall.v3ndr5.jpg

I don't know why they are using that Braves hat in promotional stuff because it's not even in the game, only the 1970's one is.

Are their any new uniforms in the game, or are they all the same as last year? I'm interested in the PS3 version, as it's the console I own, but from the trailers I've seen the game looks the same from last year for the PS3.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

However, I hear every day Mets fans calling into WFAN and just asking the simple question of why they can't be that?

"Louie in Ronkonkoma, yuh awn the air, what's up."

"Yeah, why can't the Mets spend money like the Yankees?"

"Theyuh nawt the Yankees! Okay? They'll nevuh BE the Yankees. Okay? Okay? You're tawkin' about duh most GLARIOUS franchise in spaughts he-uh! No one's EVUH gonna be the Yankees. Except the Yankees. Look, I, uh. Okay? I...I...I...I don't know woy you'd think they'd evuh be the Yankees. No one can evuh be the Yankees because theyuh can only be ONE Yankees. Which is the Yankees. Okay? I, ah, I just, ah, I don't unduhstand woy that's a question. Look. You, uh, you wait awn hald fuh fawty-five minutes to ask about the Mets being the Yankees. Theyuh nawt the Yankees. Okay? We shouldn't have to ansuh that kinda question. Okay? I mean, uh, if you wawnna team to be the Yankees, watch the Yankees. Unbelievable. Okay? Mawty in Five Towns, what's up."

As a New Yorker, I found this hilarious.

Well done sir.

2ly2w09.jpg

Archived