2013 MLB Discussion Thread, Redux

Brian in Boston

Such a shame to see Boston get another sports trophy. What is in that precious New England water these days? Cause I'd like to get some to San Jose sometime soon.

I don't know why you're complaining. Your Giants have two World Series titles in a 3-year span.

Not a Giants fan though. White Sox fan because I like to make life hard for myself.

Still.

I'd gladly take the one-year blip the Chicago Southsiders had in 2005 and be mediocre from there-on-out than take 25 years (23 of them in my lifetime) of being tantalizing close to a championship, and seeing absolutely nothing on the other side.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll say this since I happen to be a fan of the Bucs and the Sox. Yes, I was fortunate to have them get their moment in the sun about a decade or so ago, but I assure you, and I'm sure others would agree, that after a couple new years of sucking, the shine of the championship season begins to wear off. It's the eternal question: Is it better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all?

I can deal with rebuilding years and lackluster finishes, but the ineptitude those franchise have displayed in the last couple years, compared to perennial favorites like the Cards and the Red Sox, gets so damn frustrating.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

I can relate to pretty much all sides of the spectrum with the Blues, Cardinals, and Rams.

The Blues are frequently good (a few year period in the past decade not withstanding) and seem capable of winning a championship, but have advanced to the 3rd round of the playoffs just once since they made the final in each of their first three seasons (and lost every game).

The Cardinals are frequently good and pay it off with a championship frequently enough that no Cardinals fan born after 1901 has ever reached the age of 25 without seeing at least one.

And the Rams had a brief and magical run that saw one championship and playing for another, but were horrendous before that run and even worse after it and since.

The Cardinals situation is obviously the best. But between the Blues and the Rams, I really couldn't tell you. Sure, you'd trade such and such for a championship. It's easy to say when you remove yourself from it. But when you think about actually experiencing the teams on a day-to-day and season-to-season basis, I'm not so sure. Despite the lack of a championship, it's more fun to be a Blues fan than a Rams fan usually. So I really don't know what I'd choose.

Longest currently active playoff drought of the big 4 leagues belongs to the Kansas City Royals, who haven't made it since winning it all in 1985, 28 years ago.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Archived