Future MLB Expansion Concept

mvk

At some point in the future, MLB is going to expand again. We're coming upon the longest stretch since 1950 for no expansion in baseball, but there doesn't seem to be any rumblings about it. I think there will be at least one round of expansion to get the league to 32 at some point, and a change to 4 divisions/4 teams per division in each league. I will be working on the concepts over time, but here is my plan for expansion to 40 teams over the next 35+ years -

2020 - Charlotte Aviators and Oklahoma City Comets

2028 - Montreal Expos and Portland Cascades

2036 - Louisville Stallions and Salt Lake City Hornets

2042 - Memphis Monarchs and New York Generals

2050 - Havana Lions and New Mexico Dukes

I'm not going to be posting these in chronological order, just as I get them completed. I have ideas for a bunch of them already, but only one completely done.

The first one I have to put up -

Havana Lions (2050) - In the time period between 2013 and 2040, communist Cuba has fallen and given way to a new democratic government, and has flourished in the short time period between 2040 and 2048. Havana was awarded an expansion team to begin play in 2050, as part of the NL South along with the Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Miami Marlins, and Charlotte Aviators. The Lions draw from Cuban baseball history, with their colors and uniforms obviously inspired by the Cuban National Team. The team name, logo, and old english wordmark are inspired by the top team historically in the Cuba Nacional Series, the Havana Industriales (they have a lion as part of their logo).

HavanaLions.png

I like the uniforms .and I love the lion logo a lot. Love the concept itself. A few small changes I would suggest:

1 - on white pants make the belt red. This is clearly a red team with blue trim, so keep the focus on red.

2 - On the logo, the "Established" part shouldn't be upside down. Need to make it read right-side-up.

3 - In that old english style font you can't have all caps. So the full "LIONS" wordmark needs to be upper-lower.

4 - Name and number font needs to be something else, MLB block or a times new roman variant.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Love the lion. Love the H - you don't need the blue stroke on it. I wouldn't go with an all-caps blackletter LIONS for the wordmark. Lions, maybe, but not all-caps.

You should also flip the text on the crest so you can read the "established 2050" without turning your head.

Regarding the teams, though - does New York need a third team? You've got the Yankees and the Mets, why not share the love? Maybe a team for New Jersey or another New England state?

Love the lion. Love the H - you don't need the blue stroke on it. I wouldn't go with an all-caps blackletter LIONS for the wordmark. Lions, maybe, but not all-caps.

You should also flip the text on the crest so you can read the "established 2050" without turning your head.

Regarding the teams, though - does New York need a third team? You've got the Yankees and the Mets, why not share the love? Maybe a team for New Jersey or another New England state?

Thanks for the feedback. As for New York, I'm thinking by 2042, NY would be more than big enough to support a third team. It is now, probably. As for this team, I'm thinking a bit north of the city, which is why I chose Generals (proximity to West Point).

After Charlotte, Portland is the largest city in the United States without a Major League Baseball team. With Charlotte being awarded an expansion team in 2020, it made sense that Portland secured the rights to its own team in the second round of expansion this century. Portland's team name is inspired by both the Cascade Mountains, which nearby Mt. Hood is a prominent part of, and also Cascade hops, grown for brewing beer in the Portland region. The team logo features the outline of the Mt. Hood peak with some hops overlayed on top. The Portland Cascades join the Seattle Mariners, Oakland Athletics, Los Angeles Angels, and Colorado Rockies in the American League West.

CASCADES.png

After Charlotte, Portland is the largest city in the United States without a Major League Baseball team. With Charlotte being awarded an expansion team in 2020, it made sense that Portland secured the rights to its own team in the second round of expansion this century. Portland's team name is inspired by both the Cascade Mountains, which nearby Mt. Hood is a prominent part of, and also Cascade hops, grown for brewing beer in the Portland region. The team logo features the outline of the Mt. Hood peak with some hops overlayed on top. The Portland Cascades join the Seattle Mariners, Oakland Athletics, Los Angeles Angels, and Colorado Rockies in the American League West.

CASCADES.png

So Mt. Hood's one ball away from a walk, huh?

Thanks for the feedback. As for New York, I'm thinking by 2042, NY would be more than big enough to support a third team. It is now, probably. As for this team, I'm thinking a bit north of the city, which is why I chose Generals (proximity to West Point).

That idea, as an all-around sports fan, is nauseating.

New York Giants

New York Jets

New York Mets

New York Yankees

New York Knicks

Brooklyn Nets

New York Islanders

New York Rangers

(New Jersey Devils)

New York Red Bulls

New York City FC

They've got enough multi-league teams. Challenge yourself.

Salt lake city can't be named the hornets, that name needs to go back to charolette and they can have the Bobcats name :P

On a less comical note, one of the (many, many) reasons I hated the name swap stuff is that hornets aren't really a "thing" in Utah. They're extremely uncommon and are known for being rather docile here. Salt Lake Bees is the tried and true name. No reason to over think this one.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

I'm not really sure what you're going for with the green cluster. It could be pinecones, hops, or even artichoke.

EDIT: Just noticed you said they're hops, but visually, the problem still exists.

I live in Oregon and I had no idea what they were.

If you're focusing on using hops as a logo, might I suggest some inspiration from local brewery Hop Valley (and they have tasty beer).

hop-valley-brewing-company.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Next concept up is the Memphis Monarchs. The Monarchs draw their inspiration from not only from local legend The King, Elvis Presley, but also, as the city at the center of the Civil Rights movement, they honor one of the great Negro League teams, the Kansas City Monarchs. As the Memphis team from the Negro Leagues was called the Memphis Red Sox, they had to honor the past with another name, and the dual meaning for Monarchs fit pretty well.

The Memphis Monarchs are awarded an expansion franchise for the 2042 season, and begin play in the NL Central with the Chicago Cubs, St. Louis Cardinals, Cincinnati Reds, and Milwaukee Brewers.

Monarchs.png

Archived