So I guess it's been ten years today, huh.

The_Admiral

Sorry. Couldn't resist. Heck I live in a sports town where fans still wax poetic about the '95 M's, think winning 116 games and not going to the World Series is a success, and still bitch about the refs in SB 40.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, one thing about the 2003 Marlins that's often forgotten- they were one out away from going down 2-1 to the Giants in the NLDS.

Hypothetically, how would a Cubs/Giants NLCS have gone? Consider the Giants won 100 games, had great pitching, and the Cubs would NOT have had the homefield.

All three considerations applied to the series with the Braves, and the Cubs won, though on the last one I will note that the "uniqueness" of Atlanta led to the memorable creation of Wrigley South.

Haha, the 2003 Giants:

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I do remember the 2003 Yankees-Cubs series! Wood pitched against Clemens and won, and Hee Seop Choi got KTFOed and stretchered out through the outfield doors.

Check out this run of championships since 2003:

2003: Cubs blow it

2004: other cursed baseball team wins

2005: other Chicago baseball team wins

2006: St. Louis wins

2007: no-longer-cursed baseball team wins again

2009: famously futile football team wins

2010: drought-ridden Chicago hockey team wins, drought-ridden baseball team wins

2011: St. Louis wins again

What indignity is even left? We're getting into Inanimate Carbon Rod territory here.

Shoot, 2008 had "historically awful pre-expansion baseball team beats historically awful expansion baseball team."

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

When you got to the LCS rounds, there was the insane dramatic possibilities of the Cubs breaking their drought, the Red Sox breaking their drought, the Cubs and Red Sox facing each other to guarantee that one drought ends and the other gets even more painful, or you could've had the Yankees and Cubs, who met in the regular season to some dramatics (anyone remember the Eric Karros 3-run PH HR during the regular season series? I think that also temporarily denied Clemens of his 300th win) and would've also brought back some halcyon memories of Babe Ruth's called shot and the two World Series meetings in the '30s (obviously, it's also worthwhile to point out that the last Red Sox World Series victory, to date, had come against the Cubs, creating another great storyline there).

Out of all of those scenarios, it had to be Yankees-Marlins, and, to that end, it had to be the lifeless, boring, "catching-fire-in-a-bottle-again" Marlins to win it all. An expansion franchise of just a decade prior, who were renown for their fire sales, and, to date, have only made the playoffs twice in their now-21 year history, and yet the two times they've made it, they didn't lose a playoff series. Hell, they've won two more World Series titles than they have even won division titles. The Pirates and Royals are probably the only teams in baseball in that timeframe that hasn't won a division title.

Sometimes, sports suck.

The Marlins expansion partner, the Rockies, have never won a division title, yet have also been to the playoffs three times and obviously the World Series in a matchup that I still feel was caused by some sort of payback by Cleveland to the city of Denver.

The Yankees would've had their hands full with Prior and Wood.

snort

It's sad that we never got to have Randy Johnson, Kerry Wood, Rich Harden, and Chien-Ming Wang in the same rotation.

If I were Joe Torre, I would have used Wang in long relief after bad starts from Randy Johnson. That way, we could have potentially gotten the headline:

Torre Pulls Johnson Early, Inserts Wang

Late Eruption from A-Rod Sends Fans Home Happy

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived