Redskins Brand Proposal - Washington Redhawks

BrandMooreArt

Finally ready! This personal project has been 4 years in the making. It started while i was in college and wanting to update the NFL's ugliest logo. It evolved in wanting to give them a better name and better brand. This is my proposal for the Washington Redhawks

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Washington-Redhawks-Brand-Proposal/11458543

95d5f53655306b7b3cb0c65c1576da98.jpg

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Super fantastic job! However, I tend to agree with dsaline97 about the gold or plain grey facemask. Everything else is exceptional! I'm willing to bet this is far better than anything the team or league can come up with. I recently read an article about a proposal to name the team the Red Clouds or Redclouds, after the Sioux chief. Apparently, he was quite a butt-kicker and advocated in Washington a lot on behalf of Lakota and plains Indians. Based on the article's points about honoring a Native American, I like the Redclouds name better than the Redhawks. That said, your flawless execution can remain nearly exactly the same.

Washington Red Clouds

http://miketanier.sportsonearthblog.com/the-washington-red-clouds/

Super fantastic job! However, I tend to agree with dsaline97 about the gold or plain grey facemask. Everything else is exceptional! I'm willing to bet this is far better than anything the team or league can come up with. I recently read an article about a proposal to name the team the Red Clouds or Redclouds, after the Sioux chief. Apparently, he was quite a butt-kicker and advocated in Washington a lot on behalf of Lakota and plains Indians. Based on the article's points about honoring a Native American, I like the Redclouds name better than the Redhawks. That said, your flawless execution can remain nearly exactly the same.

Washington Red Clouds

http://miketanier.sportsonearthblog.com/the-washington-red-clouds/

that is interesting. i have not heard Redclouds mentioned before. i like it. but not sure how it would work with some of my patterns, i would have to dig deeper into Lakota culture, but the wampum inspired stripes are from local area Iroquois tribes. that was an important thing for me to capture, i didnt want to do any cheesy D.C. imagery (Washington monument, white house, etc) but i wanted to pull from something area specific

oh, and i wanted to do a gray mask from the beginning but was kind of afraid of the whole "but theres no gray in the uniform!" thing. i think i'll go back and change that now. also considered a yellow helmet

4b1p.png

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Top notch presentation but there are a few things that are bugging me.

1. No yellow facemask as I really like it.

2. The spear in the logo just feels flat to me & looks almost like it would be in a corporate logo.

3. Redhawks to me just would not work with Seahawks being in the same league.

4. Also feel the logo is too burgandy heavy for a burgandy helmet.

Everything else is really well done as usual.

Finally ready! This personal project has been 4 years in the making. It started while i was in college and wanting to update the NFL's ugliest logo. It evolved in wanting to give them a better name and better brand. This is my proposal for the Washington Redhawks

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Washington-Redhawks-Brand-Proposal/11458543

95d5f53655306b7b3cb0c65c1576da98.jpg

THIS is a classy rebranding! While I agree with others that I prefer Red Clouds, Redhawks is not a bad alternative at all.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Nice design for the team, however, you know my what my first nitpick is going to be about the helmet so I won't say it. However, the main issue with this rebrand is that if Snyder ever commits to a name change, the word "red" will not be in the name as people will still refer to them as the Redskins.

spacer.png

The logo is really smooth and well put together. I really like the yellow helmet.

Still don't think this would fly because of the spear and feathers, but nonetheless nice job.

The whole racism cry is mostly about the name. The spear shouldn't be a problem since it is a traditional (and historically important) native weapon. But I'm not sure about the feathers, so I'm not gonna comment.

Great job, Brandon, in both content and presentation.

The look manages to be modern and retro at the same time. How'd you do that?

Someone questioned the appearance of the spear. To me, the spear is almost unnecessary. It would look just fine with or without it.

The whole package (logo, uniform, word-mark, presentation) is very clean and professional.

I really like the classic neck treatment on the jerseys.

I'm just curious... what does the left side of the helmet look like?

Is the logo reversed, with the 'R' flipped in the circle?

Whatever the name, this look is a winner.

Great job, Brandon, in both content and presentation.

The look manages to be modern and retro at the same time. How'd you do that?

Someone questioned the appearance of the spear. To me, the spear is almost unnecessary. It would look just fine with or without it.

The whole package (logo, uniform, word-mark, presentation) is very clean and professional.

I really like the classic neck treatment on the jerseys.

I'm just curious... what does the left side of the helmet look like?

Is the logo reversed, with the 'R' flipped in the circle?

Whatever the name, this look is a winner.

yea i had just noticed i didnt include the left side of the helmet myself. everything reverses except for the R

20k4.png

im working on making all the face mask gray now. i had originally made it red/burgundy/maroon because the first couple of stripe options i came up with were much wider and had a lot of white (its actually a light cream color) and yellow, so any other mask color was overkill. with the smaller stripe i ended up using, i like the gray mask best.

i have tried a few different versions of the logo's circle in white and yellow, but i still like the red the best. i think the R and feathers really stand out this way.

im really happy with all the responses to this overall, i think if it passes the test with this board, then i've done a pretty good job. so, thanks for the comments everyone! i never put the Seahawks/Redhawks conflict together before and i like that name a lot less now, but after living with it for about 4 years, i cant bear to part with it, LOL.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

Your concept is kind of bittersweet to me because it is so well executed and yet the league continues to churn out its latest Nike-fied junk including the Vikings, Dolphins and Seahawks, all of which to me are so gimmicky, over-thought and over-produced. That said, the good part is there are designers out there who have the know-how to create a team identity that looks like how a sports team should look. It's a football uniform, not a superhero suit.

Archived