OnWis97

Small Details (and quirks) that You Love

161 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, PepMan33Conde said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMklBB5h0jdqxHx2JPqua

Flames-Third-Jersey-Inner-Collar-590x393

I personally hate hanger effects, and see no purpose in them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

- The tiny Cubs logo on the upper left leg of their gray pants.

- Chief Blackhawk's slight but noticeable grin.

- UA putting a stripe or text on the front of the pants leg.

- The tiny specks of red on the Wild's green jersey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BJ Sands said:

 

- The tiny specks of red on the Wild's green jersey.

Explain?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dont care said:

Explain?

I think he's referring to the small triangle where the NHL patch resides, as well as the stars on the M and the "WILD" script. Although absent from the rest of the green/wheat jersey, red is still present but in very small doses.

 

t1vmp5xbx9f7w1bg2gf1wvz9t.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love it when NFL teams wear white socks with their stripe pattern when they wear colored pants instead of wearing a solid colored sock that makes the uniform look like a unitard.

 

Untitled.png

 

9 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gobbi said:

I think he's referring to the small triangle where the NHL patch resides, as well as the stars on the M and the "WILD" script. Although absent from the rest of the green/wheat jersey, red is still present but in very small doses.

 

t1vmp5xbx9f7w1bg2gf1wvz9t.png

Correct. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Several members of the Adelaide Crows team in the Australian Football League women's competition are based in Darwin, the capital of the Northern Territory, and travel down to meet their teammates prior to each game. To honour their contribution, the Crows home and change kit features a small Northern Territory flag on the back upper centre of the jersey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I love the droopy "5" the Packers use. 

c8e54ba43b186861044b90faad4297ac.jpg

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Yippy said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I love the droopy "5" the Packers use. 

c8e54ba43b186861044b90faad4297ac.jpg

 

 

Very interesting!  I must say that I didn't realise that the Packers used that 5 digit.  Though evidently it goes way back, and I should have noticed it.

 

 

Image result for bart starr    Image result for paul hornung

 

 

Still, they weren't consistent, either in Starr's and Hornung's day...

 

 

Related image

 

 

...or afterward.

 

 

 Image result for packers 1979    Image result for packers 1990   

 

 

Anyway, I associate that no. 5 with a team in whose stadium the Packers used to play some games, the Brewers.

 


Image result for cecil cooper

 


And it was used by the football Giants in 1975.

 

 

giants-shea.jpg

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the S pattern in the Sounders' jerseys. So subtle you don't really see unless up close and in person but I think it creates a perfect texture. 

 

Jersey-Tease-Site_0.jpg

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

And it was used by the football Giants in 1975.

 

 

giants-shea.jpg

 

 

For some reason, I have strong memories of watching that game on TV . . . even though I was 8 at the time.  That was the season that the Giants played at Shea Stadium since Yankee Stadium was being "renovated" and Giants Stadium was being built.

 

Since I was only 8 and the Colts played the Jets twice a year then, the Giants seemed like the oddball New York team to me.  Obviously, I was wrong about that, since the Jets seem to be the clear No. 2 in New York.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The interesting quirk of today's game in San Antonio was the two different dugout configurations.  The Indians had soccer benches on their side and the Rangers were set up like the Japanese dugouts with tiered seating. With a short porch at right I'm surprised we didn't see football scores. 

20170318_135252.jpg20170318_134503.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The interesting quirk of today's game in San Antonio was the two different dugout configurations.  The Indians had soccer benches on their side and the Rangers were set up like the Japanese dugouts with tiered seating. With a short porch at right I'm surprised we didn't see football scores. 

20170318_135252.jpg20170318_134503.jpg

This just looks like a bad idea. This looks worse than the trop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would agree. There didn't seem to be any issues for the players though. If the Missions were playing here full time you'd probably see another turf field specific to baseball brought out rather than cutting up the old turf and laying it down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always really loved the flag-stripe the South Africa baseball team had on the sleeves. They should've had one on the pants also. 

 

IMG_5911.JPG

 

IMG_5912.JPG

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2017 at 4:01 PM, dont care said:

I personally hate hanger effects, and see no purpose in them.

While teams try and say it is to "enhance the brand", they are just there to make it tougher for counterfeiters. The Canes' flag pattern belongs on the jerseys, not just the inside collar. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

While teams try and say it is to "enhance the brand", they are just there to make it tougher for counterfeiters. The Canes' flag pattern belongs on the jerseys, not just the inside collar. 

The hanger effect should just be for small, cool, little wordmark that adds minimal effect to the sweater. It's not for something that should be an essential part of the branding... 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2017 at 7:04 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Very interesting!  I must say that I didn't realise that the Packers used that 5 digit.  Though evidently it goes way back, and I should have noticed it.

 

Image result for bart starr    Image result for paul hornung

 

Still, they weren't consistent, either in Starr's and Hornung's day...

 

Related image   

 

Those number styles were determined by the manufacturer - whenever the Packers got a new supplier, the numbers changed.   And they changed a lot during Lombardi's tenure. 

 

And since jerseys were re-used from season to season, it's not uncommon to see multiple styles on the field at the same time. 

 

c1959-60_celebration.jpg

c1959-60_numbervariations.jpg

 

1960_Lions-Packers_4.jpg

1960_Lions-Packers_4a.jpg

 

And of course, this goes way back.  Any uniform style with longevity had multiple variations.  

 

1939packers_4s.png

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I played in high school, that "5" was the standard for every high-school uniform.  My last year was the first year for upgraded "pro style" uniforms (this was a little before teams started getting Nike and other national brands to supply or at least have their logos appear on the uniforms) we still had that 5.  

 

Ours was different from the Packers in that ours didn't have the little notch on the top part where the horizontal bar connects to the vertical.  Ours was just straight like a normal 5, even though we had the triangle part drooping down.

 

I mentioned this to a few of my teammates and got beat up for caring about what the numbers looked like.

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jaguars helmets that looked black but you could see the teal around where the lights hit directly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now