Small Details (and quirks) that You Love

OnWis97

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- The tiny Cubs logo on the upper left leg of their gray pants.

- Chief Blackhawk's slight but noticeable grin.

- UA putting a stripe or text on the front of the pants leg.

- The tiny specks of red on the Wild's green jersey.

7 minutes ago, dont care said:

Explain?

I think he's referring to the small triangle where the NHL patch resides, as well as the stars on the M and the "WILD" script. Although absent from the rest of the green/wheat jersey, red is still present but in very small doses.

t1vmp5xbx9f7w1bg2gf1wvz9t.png

1 hour ago, Gobbi said:

I think he's referring to the small triangle where the NHL patch resides, as well as the stars on the M and the "WILD" script. Although absent from the rest of the green/wheat jersey, red is still present but in very small doses.

t1vmp5xbx9f7w1bg2gf1wvz9t.png

Correct. 

• 2 weeks later...

Several members of the Adelaide Crows team in the Australian Football League women's competition are based in Darwin, the capital of the Northern Territory, and travel down to meet their teammates prior to each game. To honour their contribution, the Crows home and change kit features a small Northern Territory flag on the back upper centre of the jersey.

4 minutes ago, Yippy said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I love the droopy "5" the Packers use. 

c8e54ba43b186861044b90faad4297ac.jpg

Very interesting!  I must say that I didn't realise that the Packers used that 5 digit.  Though evidently it goes way back, and I should have noticed it.

Image result for bart starr    Image result for paul hornung

Still, they weren't consistent, either in Starr's and Hornung's day...

Related image

...or afterward.

Image result for packers 1979    Image result for packers 1990   

Anyway, I associate that no. 5 with a team in whose stadium the Packers used to play some games, the Brewers.

Image result for cecil cooper

And it was used by the football Giants in 1975.

giants-shea.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

13 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

And it was used by the football Giants in 1975.

giants-shea.jpg

For some reason, I have strong memories of watching that game on TV . . . even though I was 8 at the time.  That was the season that the Giants played at Shea Stadium since Yankee Stadium was being "renovated" and Giants Stadium was being built.

Since I was only 8 and the Colts played the Jets twice a year then, the Giants seemed like the oddball New York team to me.  Obviously, I was wrong about that, since the Jets seem to be the clear No. 2 in New York.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• 2 weeks later...

The interesting quirk of today's game in San Antonio was the two different dugout configurations.  The Indians had soccer benches on their side and the Rangers were set up like the Japanese dugouts with tiered seating. With a short porch at right I'm surprised we didn't see football scores. 

20170318_135252.jpg20170318_134503.jpg

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The interesting quirk of today's game in San Antonio was the two different dugout configurations.  The Indians had soccer benches on their side and the Rangers were set up like the Japanese dugouts with tiered seating. With a short porch at right I'm surprised we didn't see football scores. 

20170318_135252.jpg20170318_134503.jpg

This just looks like a bad idea. This looks worse than the trop

I would agree. There didn't seem to be any issues for the players though. If the Missions were playing here full time you'd probably see another turf field specific to baseball brought out rather than cutting up the old turf and laying it down. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 2/22/2017 at 4:01 PM, dont care said:

I personally hate hanger effects, and see no purpose in them.

While teams try and say it is to "enhance the brand", they are just there to make it tougher for counterfeiters. The Canes' flag pattern belongs on the jerseys, not just the inside collar. 

11 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

While teams try and say it is to "enhance the brand", they are just there to make it tougher for counterfeiters. The Canes' flag pattern belongs on the jerseys, not just the inside collar. 

The hanger effect should just be for small, cool, little wordmark that adds minimal effect to the sweater. It's not for something that should be an essential part of the branding... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 3/9/2017 at 7:04 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Very interesting!  I must say that I didn't realise that the Packers used that 5 digit.  Though evidently it goes way back, and I should have noticed it.

Image result for bart starr    Image result for paul hornung

Still, they weren't consistent, either in Starr's and Hornung's day...

Related image   

Those number styles were determined by the manufacturer - whenever the Packers got a new supplier, the numbers changed.   And they changed a lot during Lombardi's tenure. 

And since jerseys were re-used from season to season, it's not uncommon to see multiple styles on the field at the same time. 

c1959-60_celebration.jpg

c1959-60_numbervariations.jpg

1960_Lions-Packers_4.jpg

1960_Lions-Packers_4a.jpg

And of course, this goes way back.  Any uniform style with longevity had multiple variations.  

1939packers_4s.png

When I played in high school, that "5" was the standard for every high-school uniform.  My last year was the first year for upgraded "pro style" uniforms (this was a little before teams started getting Nike and other national brands to supply or at least have their logos appear on the uniforms) we still had that 5.  

Ours was different from the Packers in that ours didn't have the little notch on the top part where the horizontal bar connects to the vertical.  Ours was just straight like a normal 5, even though we had the triangle part drooping down.

I mentioned this to a few of my teammates and got beat up for caring about what the numbers looked like.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived