The Big Ol' Counterfeit Jersey Thread

On 9/27/2016 at 0:26 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

On Fridays, we had Dressdown days for teachers in my school board (Jeans, hoodies, whatever the teacher likes), and technically he was a ECE (Early Childhood Educator) & it was when we had that playoff run in 2013. 

I got suspended for uttering something offensive to a member of authority. 

If one of my students called out a teacher for wearing a fake jersey, he/she would drown in A's tbh

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here in Nova Scotia, the knockoff game is strong. 

But the worst place by a mile is Glace Bay. 

I recently started a new job at my old place of work. The place employs at least 800 people over several lines of business.

About a month ago, they had a Jersey Day. I wore one of my authentic Ducks jerseys. They eventually got all people who were wearing jerseys to meet in the lounge for an activity.

In a group of about 100 people, only about 4 jerseys weren't knockoffs.

And other than that day, I have not seen a legitimate, even replica, jersey wore by anybody but myself. And there's usually two or three people per day wearing jerseys there. Including one guy in the training department who is always wearing a knockoff Carey Price Habs jersey every second day. And a guy on my floor who also wears a different jersey every day and every one he's worn so far have been fakes.

But three things take the cake for me...

1. The local supermarket, back in January, had various Super Bowl promotions on snacks and sodas. At their take-out counter where you can buy wings and pizzas and stuff, they had like 8 NFL jerseys hanging over the counter, and ALL of them were fakes.

2. Glace Bay has a very tiny mall. It is an actual indoor mall that has like 10 stores max. One of them is a sports memorabilia store that sells autographed pictures and bobbleheads and even old video games too. They also sell dozens of "New Era" hats, and none of them are legitimate. There is a second store that's kind of like a bargain store of designer stuff that also sells only knockoff sports stuff.

3. The fact this group exists that caters to my hometown region and nobody in the group are none the wiser:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dcetscbb/

I'd like to put it on notice, but anytime I've ever said anything about knockoffs before, most people are just like "who the f cares?" 

• Like 1

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

15 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Anybody have an opinion about how legitimate this site might be?

http://www.vikingscustom.com/

15 hours ago, dont care said:

Since they are selling game and limited it looks pretty legit

I'm asking because they have sizes and players that the NFL's official shop doesn't.  Plus everything is significantly cheaper.  For instance, they're selling Limiteds for $100... how does that work?  You know, the old saying... if it seems to good to be true...

Anyway, I just wanted somebody with a sense for these things to check out the website and give me an opinion.

52 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm asking because they have sizes and players that the NFL's official shop doesn't.  Plus everything is significantly cheaper.  For instance, they're selling Limiteds for $100... how does that work?  You know, the old saying... if it seems to good to be true...

Anyway, I just wanted somebody with a sense for these things to check out the website and give me an opinion.

It seems like they ship from China.  I wouldn't trust them just for that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cosmic said:

It seems like they ship from China.  I wouldn't trust them just for that.

They also sell half-n-half jerseys, I wouldn't trust them just for that

• Like 3

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

On 2016-11-21 at 6:54 PM, BShaw20 said:

Just in time for Thanksgiving I have a family member who arrived from the habitat of the counterfeit and I got these classics. The Curry one is Yankee blue.

IMG_6975.JPG

I think you're missing the point of this thread...

• 2 weeks later...
On November 24, 2016 at 5:21 PM, Gobbi said:

I think you're missing the point of this thread...

Um, no? He pointed out that they are a) knockoffs, and b ) the poor colour/quality of them.

• Like 2
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

1 hour ago, nash61 said:

Um, no? He pointed out that they are a) knockoffs, and b ) the poor colour/quality of them.

I guess I misinterpreted the use of the word "classics". I read that as him being happy to have received them. 

• 3 months later...

**Disclaimer: business teacher on snow day #2**

I have looked at this issue from both sides for a long time. It bothers me that most (literally 80%+) jerseys I see at NFL games are fake, but, honestly, I get it. 15 years ago, replica jerseys retailed for $45 and have more than doubled in price since. Increases in quality and inflation don't justify that spike in cost. The NFL created the counterfeit market by grossly inflating the value of their own intellectual property. Nobody was buying fakes in the late 90's because the real ones were affordable and nobody was making fakes because the margins were too low.

Authentic-style jerseys were available in the 90s, but the prices were sky high (via JC Penney, as low as $150 for a screen-printed Bills jersey, but as high as $410 for a Steelers jersey). However, demand was so low that the hypothetical production costs and high quality seemed to justify the high prices. In my opinion, when the authentic jersey market took off, Reebok and Mitchell & Ness got greedy, overcharged, and gave the counterfeit game life. Reebok was reasonable with $65 replicas that were objectively nicer than prior Champion & Puma offerings. People weren't as keen on dropping $2-300+ on an authentic, though. $100 EQT jerseys helped bridge the gap, but once Nike swooped in and made $100 the minimum, it was game on.

The new low-quality $80 screened Nike jerseys feel like a backhanded, "too little, too late" attempt to level off prices. Patrice O'Neal had a great bit about how shoe companies skyrocket prices and then offer minor discounts to trick consumers into feeling thrifty. That trick doesn't work when alternatives exist at an 80% discount. I seriously doubt the average person cares about the quality gap or "robbing" the financially bloated institution of professional football enough to take food off their child's plate and respect the NFL's overvaluation of its own intellectual property with unjustifiably high-priced apparel.

Then again, for all I know, NFL merch sales are at an all-time high and knockoffs are a drop-in-the-bucket-sized amount of collateral damage. The NFL seems awfully fixated on the counterfeit market, though...

In short, NFL:Counterfeiters::USA:Al-Qaeda

Anyways, sorry, I'll be back in school tomorrow. :wacko:

On 11/20/2016 at 8:03 AM, Roger Clemente said:

But three things take the cake for me...

1. The local supermarket, back in January, had various Super Bowl promotions on snacks and sodas. At their take-out counter where you can buy wings and pizzas and stuff, they had like 8 NFL jerseys hanging over the counter, and ALL of them were fakes.

2. Glace Bay has a very tiny mall. It is an actual indoor mall that has like 10 stores max. One of them is a sports memorabilia store that sells autographed pictures and bobbleheads and even old video games too. They also sell dozens of "New Era" hats, and none of them are legitimate. There is a second store that's kind of like a bargain store of designer stuff that also sells only knockoff sports stuff.

3. The fact this group exists that caters to my hometown region and nobody in the group are none the wiser:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dcetscbb/

I'd like to put it on notice, but anytime I've ever said anything about knockoffs before, most people are just like "who the f cares?" 

Agreed! My lone moral issue with fakes is when people dupe buyers into thinking they're real. If someone does research and nabs a quality knockoff (rare as they may be) at 1/5th the price, laissez faire. Mass-flipping fakes for a 5x profit on unsuspecting buyers is another story. Regardless, I would sooner buy a fitted game-used 90's jersey of a nobody on eBay for $50-100 than a $100 barrel-bodied Nike replica any day.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Cujo said:

Not sure on this one...

3a68a6120e1f8d48acc8b841e716fa42.jpg

Seems like something from a goofy sports comedy... "Well, I wanted 80, but so-and-so was already wearing it, so I wear 8E."

• Like 1