That's right folks, the 2013-14 Men's College Basketball season is almost here. What are your predictions for the year? In case you haven't seen the rankings, here they are now (Rankings reflect those of the USA Today Coaches Poll)

1. Kentucky

2. Michigan State

3. Louisville

4. Duke

5. Arizona

6. Kansas

7. Syracuse

8. Florida

9. Michigan

10. Ohio State

11. North Carolina

12. Oklahoma State

13. Memphis

14. Gonzaga

15. VCU

16. Wichita State

17. Marquette

18. Oregon

19. UCONN

20. New Mexico

21. Wisconsin

22. Notre Dame

23. UCLA

24. Indiana

25. Virginia

Others that received votes for the Top 25 are Tennessee, Colorado, Harvard, Creighton, Iowa, and about a dozen others. Those that fell from the rankings that were in at the end of the tournament were Miami (10), St. Louis (16), Georgetown (17), Kansas State (20), Creighton (21), Cinderella La Salle (24), and the more popular Cinderella Florida Gulf Coast (25).

How do you think the New Big East and AAC conferences will fair? Who do you see as potential Bracket-Busters come mid-March? Post away as we begin the quest towards the Madness!

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Virginia shouldn't be ranked at all. Wasn't very good at all, and didn't bring in any notable recruits (at least not to my knowledge) Final Four will probably be something like Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, and Michigan State/Louisville. Pitino and Izzo are too good of coaches to expect both to miss the Final Four when they both have great teams. I couldn't give a :censored: about the regular season only because the conference tournaments ruin every point of the regular season. It's basically just a warm-up to March Madness.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

I really can't wait for this season. It's gonna be really interesting for Illinois. Only three players returning from the team that was a Larkin step back three/blown out of bounds call from a Sweet 16. We have a couple transfers and a full class of freshman coming in.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Does anyone who doesn't work for a major TV network really care about basketball rankings?

Eh... I just threw them out there. I think they use them just so when a top ranked team loses, they can say "SUCH-AND-SUCH STATE TECH COLLEGE UNIVERSITY HAS FALLEN!"

Just like every year, I pick my preseason favorite, but when it comes tournament time, my bracket is busted, but I tend to get an above .500 percentage and win (too bad we here at home don't pay to play)

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Does anyone who doesn't work for a major TV network really care about basketball rankings?

Eh... I just threw them out there. I think they use them just so when a top ranked team loses, they can say "SUCH-AND-SUCH STATE TECH COLLEGE UNIVERSITY HAS FALLEN!"

Just like every year, I pick my preseason favorite, but when it comes tournament time, my bracket is busted, but I tend to get an above .500 percentage and win (too bad we here at home don't pay to play)

Yea. Honestly, rankings are a joke. Gonzaga was ranked #1 through most of February and March because they won 30+ games in a row against cupcakes. When the NCAA came around, they lost in the second round. Exactly. Rankings matter until maybe February when teams get deep into conference play, then they're nothing more than silly numbers for ESPN and other sports networks to call "favorites" and scream about when they lose.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Yea. Honestly, rankings are a joke. Gonzaga was ranked #1 through most of February and March because they won 30+ games in a row against cupcakes. When the NCAA came around, they lost in the second round. Exactly. Rankings matter until maybe February when teams get deep into conference play, then they're nothing more than silly numbers for ESPN and other sports networks to call "favorites" and scream about when they lose.

Get it right. Gonzaga was ranked #1 in both polls only in the month of March, March 3 to be exact for the first time in school history.

Their non-conference season they went 13-2. They went 5-0 against the Big XII (OK.State, Baylor,K-State, OUand WVU), 3-0 against top-25 RPI schools, 5-2 against top-50 RPI schools and 11-2 against top-100 RPI schools. At season's end, they did not lose to a team which had an RPI lower than 40 in Illinois.

So Rams80 got a look at the preview for this upcoming basketball season at his Summit League grad school, and the ravages of realignment have clearly taken their toll. The Summit League shrank by one school after the chain reaction of realignment brought on by Creighton thinking they were "East", and that left a couple of holes on the schedule that needed to be filled.

So we're playing 2 Division III schools and something called "Grace Bible College", Fun!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So Rams80 got a look at the preview for this upcoming basketball season at his Summit League grad school, and the ravages of realignment have clearly taken their toll. The Summit League shrank by one school after the chain reaction of realignment brought on by Creighton thinking they were "East", and that left a couple of holes on the schedule that needed to be filled.

So we're playing 2 Division III schools and something called "Grace Bible College", Fun!

Omaha Maverick fan, I presume?

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

He is in Macomb at Western Illinois.

The only sure positive for this season it that MSG will host a NCAA Regional. The handcheck enforcement is TBD.

Anyone else watched Gonzaga-Oregon tonight? Oregon won, but I think Joshua Smith, #24 from Gonzaga, looks like he belongs on the football team than the basketball team.

So, opening night, and we already have a significant upset as Miami goes down to St. Francis (Brooklyn).

The bigger revelation here is that St. Francis (New York) decided at some point to cash in on that "Brooklyn" craze.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The only sure positive for this season it that MSG will host a NCAA Regional. The handcheck enforcement is TBD.

Cracking down on handchecking is not gonna happen, at least once conference play comes around. I'll be shocked if Aaron Craft gets called on that once in Big Ten play.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Cracking down on handchecking is not gonna happen, at least once conference play comes around. I'll be shocked if Aaron Craft gets called on that once in Big Ten play.

Oh they better because that :censored: is sure as hell going to be called in the Tournament. Get the players used to it now.

Today, we are all otaku.

Last year we played something called the University of Mary. Nothing says it's the beginning of the college hoops season like tiny bible colleges you'll never hear from again.

Archived