Your town/state's most significant championship.

charger77

Vet dont you mean January 2005? (when the Eagles were last in the superbowl)

Even tho I wasn't alive when it happened (missed by 4 years abouts), it seems like the 1980 world series win by the Phillies was, I will say the 2008 win was very sweet but Im sure the 1980 was crazy.

Then I guess would be the flyers first win.

God help the city if the eagles ever win a superbowl.

No. I meant Jan 19 2003 (2002 season). The worst loss in the entire history of philadelphia pro sports.
I know a playoff loss is tough, but what makes that one the worst? Last Eagles game at the Vet? The Buccaneers not winning a game in cold weather? Both? More?

Both of those, the Eagles coming off a close NFCCG against the Greatest Show on Turf the year before, hosting the NFCCG for the first time in 22 years, a top defense, McNabb entering his prime, and then it started like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS8VST07at0

.....and it was all downhill for the next 59 minutes -_-

Just listen to that crowd. I was there (still can't believe how hard it was just to get a single ticket.) The Vet was a special place. BRING IT BACK! BRING BACK THE... nevermind.

Yeah, 2002 was their year. I've never... and I mean NEVER seen this city as amped up for anything in my life (I was 25 at the time) (holy hell - it was that long ago?)

Their defense was great. Their offense was... well, they were getting by. McNabb seemed to have some heart still at that point of his career. They owned Tampa. It was cold. Oakland was going to make it out of the AFC, and the Eagles would have crushed them.

Then... McNabb sucks, Andy Reid is out coached, Levon Fat Ass Kirkland (remember him?) and Barry Gardner couldn't stop anyone (Trotter was in DC at the time) and Blane Bishop was like 150 years old, and all I remember is Joe Jerevicious (sp) being unstoppable, and Ronde Barber running down the field and taking the life out of 70,000 people. The parade was basically planned.

The 2004 loss to the Patriots was very disappointing, but really - they weren't the better team. What sucks is that they should have won - if McNabb plays even a competent game, and doesn't throw up while trying to execute the worst 2-minute drill in history. Again - Andy Reid and Donovan McNabb cost them in the big one. TO was the best player on the field from either team. McNabb should have been the one to go - not TO.

Anyway... yeah - 2002 was the worst loss ever. And no matter how great 2008 was (and it was pretty great), the most significant championship will be when the Eagles finally win it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Los Angeles, I'd say the 1985 Lakers Championship triumph over the hated Celtics. The 1988 Dodgers title, and the 1999 Lakers title are a close second.

For my hometown, Redondo Beach, I'd say winning the schools first state title in basketball and the first state title in any sport since the 30's is Redondo's most significant championship.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

2004 I remember the NFC wasn't exactly that strong. It was the Eagles, then inconsistent Vick at QB for Atlanta, and 2 8-8 teams made it in. It wouldve been very disappointing if Philly wasn't Super Bowl bound that year, especially after 3 straight Final four faceplants.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

You're right about that - 2004 was essentially the nadir of the NFC in recent times. Remember that those two 8-8 teams also ended up winning their first round games, the Rams who beat the Seahawks for the third time of the season and the Vikings getting payback on the Packers for two grueling regular season defeats. The Falcons were the only team anywhere near the Eagles' level, and an indoor team playing in late January in Philadelphia generally doesn't end well.

I have to agree with the sentiments here, kinda like I did in the earlier post. The 2002 Bucs were a very good football team, but we're talking about a team who had only won one game in their entire (then) 26-year history in sub-40 weather (Week 17 of 2002 against the Bears). The Eagles flat out had their number at that point in time. Everything was aligned for the Eagles to get to the Super Bowl that year. Jurevicius with the 70 yard run-and-catch which set up the immediate TD response turned the tide of that entire game around in a way that I did not think the Bucs had in them.

All things considered, that's probably my favorite Bucs game ever, Super Bowl duly noted. That game was a blowout. The NFCCG was payback for the Eagles total domination in the prior two seasons, and the feeling of finally getting over the hump (TB was also in the NFCCG in '79 and '99, both against the Rams, and had a fantastic chance of beating the Greatest Show on Turf on their own turf in '99) was exhilarating. The Super Bowl did not feel like a post-mortem by comparison at the time, but the tenor the game as it turned out quickly made it feel like one. Oakland had no chance.

spacer.png

New York's waaayyyyy too hard to determine with the 8 NYC teams (for this exercise I'm counting the Jets and Giants and not going into the usual "THEY'RE JERSEY NOT NEW YORK" stuff). Even if it's the whole "underdog" narrative, you still have the 68 Jets, 69 Mets, and 08 Giants that you have to pick out of. The Yankees have 27 titles, Buffalo hasn't had anything to celebrate besides a AFL title for the Bills in the pre-Super Bowl era, 3 of the 4 Islanders cups were ho-hum, and the 94 Rangers got a monkey off their back, but hockey isn't in the fabric of NYC like baseball or basketball is. Syracuse's basketball national title's a regional deal, as is Cornell's hockey titles back in the day. So..... I guess the correct answer is the Miracle on Ice because it was played in Lake Placid? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My high school's won baseball state titles and the other high school in town's also had success in baseball and wrestling, so there's that.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

For Los Angeles, I'd say the 1985 Lakers Championship triumph over the hated Celtics. The 1988 Dodgers title, and the 1999 Lakers title are a close second.

Ooh. So close.

I'm not from LA, but that series was all kinds of awesome. The high point of my Lakers fandom. Hell, even Kareem got fired up in that one

So fired up, he became Sports Illustrated's "Sportsman of the Year" in 1985, because beating the Celtics in the NBA Finals at Boston Garden is a big deal!

1223_large.jpg

For my city that would be a tough one as it is a smaller city and is far from big enough to be in any major (or even minor) league, and is too far away from other cities for even a major juinior hockey team in the OHL or WHL.

Thunderwolves won the OUA championship in hockey in 2005-06 but came in 2nd in the CIS national championship so it wouldn't be that one.

The summer collegiate baseball team the Thunder Bay Border Cats won the Northwoods league championship in 2005 and 2008.

The soccer team the Thunder Bay Chill won the USL Premier Development League Championship in 2008.

The city has won 10 Allan cups (if you include pre-1970 when it was the two cities of Port Arthur & Fort William). The senior amatuer hockey championship was a bigger deal in the past than it is now in recent times. The Bombers win wasn't too big a deal in 2005, the Twins in the 1970s and 80s a bigger deal. The Port Arthur Bearcats wins were well before my time (though they did win an Olypmic silver for Canada in 1936 and were to be Canada's team for the 1940 Olympics - cancelled due to WWII).

Though hockey easily the number one sport in my city, instead of picking the Twins Allan Cup wins in the 1980s or other victories on some level in the "major" sports, I'll go with the Al Hackner rink winning the Briar in dramatic fashion in 1985 by tying the game with "the shot" and winning the game in the extra end; by winning the Briar they would represent Canada and they would go on to win the Silver Broom (World Championship). The shot was named the greatest moment in Northern Ontario curling history by the Northern Ontario Curling Association.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASH8dWdlEIo

As far as state (province) we're too far from southern Ontario in distance as well as culture to really celbrate any of their wins. The Blue Jays World Series wins would be almost as much a national thing as a provincial one, but I'd probably pick their 1st win if I had to pick a "state" most significant championship.

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

For my adopted hometown, I'd have to say Kidderminster Harriers' Football Conference title in 1994. Whilst we won the league again in 2000, and were finally promoted to the Football League, the '94 title was the Harriers' first, and I'll never forget the closing minutes of the last game of the season, when we finally clinched the title and the fans invaded the pitch (a good-hearted display, back in the days when such things were tolerated). Sadly, as our ground wasn't up to code, we were denied promotion (even though the required improvements were completed well within the deadline).

My birthplace of Manchester has had no end of championships to choose from, but for me, City's Premiership title in 2012 tops the list. Not only my favourite sporting moment ever, but one of the greatest days of my life, something I'd only dreamed about.

2004 World Series for pretty obvious reasons.

I was trying to figure out what yours would be.

I was going with the '04 Sox but also thought about this year because of the bombing or even the Patriots' 1st Super Bowl in light of 9/11.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

*opens sports record book*

Connecticut...hmmm...

Well, we had three straight Eastern League (AA) champions in the early 2000's (New Haven-New Britain-Norwich)...the Hartford Wolf Pack won the city's only hockey championship in 2000 (no, the New England Whalers' title doesn't count since they were a Boston team then)...

Ah hell, who are we kidding?

1995. UConn women's basketball wins its first of eight NCAA titles, establishing that as what Connecticut does that doesn't involve insurance, jet engines, or submarines. Or, if you will, 1999...when the men's basketball team shocked the world and beat the Dookies.

Basketball...it's what we do.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Definitely the most significant championship for the city of Louisville is the 2012-13 Cardinals Men's Basketball team. This team beat UK for the first time in 4 years, survived the Kevin Ware injury, and brought home their first championship since 1986. The closest chance for the football team to win a championship would've been 2006 if it wasn't for Rutgers. :angered:

Sorry, as good a story as last season was particularly in light of Kevin Ware's injury that's only #2 to me. I think the 1980 NCAA Championship was bigger - that was the first championship for the school and was really a huge deal for a city that had lost its pro basketball team (and kind of felt screwed out of being in the NBA when the Colonels were left out of the merger) and its minor league baseball team during the 1970s. I was a HS Senior that year and it really brought the city and the school together in a big way.

More perspective - U of L was a city-supported university until 1972 when it became part of the entire state university system. The school went from about 6,500 students to 17,000 pretty much overnight. While the Commonwealth was providing funds to UK to build a football stadium, U of L used all their funds to build buildings for students. It went from being this little school known for engineering, law school and medical school to being that "little brother" that Joe B. Hall called it to jab at Denny Crum. The 1980 Championship was "little brother" announcing they had grown up a bit; the next announcement came in the 1983 NCAA Regional Final.

The 1980 championship team was a very close #2 but the only reason it wasn't #1 was because the 2013 team was the first Louisville team to win a championship when I was alive then. Still, I love the 1980 team because of Griffith (Dr. Dunkenstien!) and Denny Crum's coaching mentality.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Peoria, hmmm.....semi-tongue in cheek I'd say the 1952 U.S. Olympics men basketball team. (The team was a hybrid combo of Caterpillar's house AAU team, Kansas, and the AAU Phillips 66ers)

More seriously, 1991 Peoria Rivermen. Longest win streak in pro hockey. Ridiculous talent. Probably could have beaten a couple NHL teams. If Bradley were to have ever won an NCAA Tourney they'd supplant them, though.

I can't speak for sure on St. Louis but its almost certainly some Cardinals World Series title.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

For Dallas, I suppose it might be 1971 Super Bowl, for being the first major championship and for proving they could win the whole thing. Though the 95 Super Bowl, finally beating the Steelers, might be the winner.

I know this is probably recency bias, but the Mass win in 11 is pretty special. Dirk finally gets a ring, they sweep the hated Lakers, and they beat the Heat, who had beaten them 5 years earlier in a controversial and heart breaking way.

Chicago is still celebrating the '85 Bears Super Bowl win, albeit in increasingly caricaturesque fashion as many of my friends and family are slowly morphing into Da Superfans.

Beyond that, I really don't know. The '96 NBA Champion Bulls, maybe?

That's so sad. The Jordan Bulls were so amazing and for such a sustained amount of time. The Kobe Lakers are kind of close in pedigree, but those are really two distinct eras. Even those the first three and second three had different role players, the core of Jordan/Pippen/Jackson made all six seem more cohesive. Sometimes it ain't right how much football overshadows everything.

Chicago teams have won nine championships since the '85 Bears, yet all of them combined don't mean as much to people as the Super Bowl does (the White Sox really bring down the average). I'm sick of it. The real story of the Bears shouldn't be that they won it all in '85 but rather that they failed to win more of them. The Redskins won multiple Super Bowls in that era but no one seems to care all that much, probably because they didn't make a rap video and also because Washington isn't a proving ground for sketch comedy like Chicago is.

But I can't take it anymore! I'm tired of Steve McMichael running for public office, or Dan Hampton selling me pickup trucks, or Jim McMahon opening restaurants that fail before they open, or Maury Buford endorsing god knows what, and DITKA DITKA DITKA. ENOUGH. NO MORE. All of you achieved less than Mark Rypien. Shame on you.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Technically they accomplished the same amount as Mark Rypien.

speaking of him, here's a picture of Mark Rypien with the Seahawks. When did this happen?

1377800269000-AP-SEAHAWKS-RYPIEN.jpg

Something else I didn't know - Mark Rypien is Canadian.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Definitely the most significant championship for the city of Louisville is the 2012-13 Cardinals Men's Basketball team. This team beat UK for the first time in 4 years, survived the Kevin Ware injury, and brought home their first championship since 1986. The closest chance for the football team to win a championship would've been 2006 if it wasn't for Rutgers. :angered:

Sorry, as good a story as last season was particularly in light of Kevin Ware's injury that's only #2 to me. I think the 1980 NCAA Championship was bigger - that was the first championship for the school and was really a huge deal for a city that had lost its pro basketball team (and kind of felt screwed out of being in the NBA when the Colonels were left out of the merger) and its minor league baseball team during the 1970s. I was a HS Senior that year and it really brought the city and the school together in a big way.

More perspective - U of L was a city-supported university until 1972 when it became part of the entire state university system. The school went from about 6,500 students to 17,000 pretty much overnight. While the Commonwealth was providing funds to UK to build a football stadium, U of L used all their funds to build buildings for students. It went from being this little school known for engineering, law school and medical school to being that "little brother" that Joe B. Hall called it to jab at Denny Crum. The 1980 Championship was "little brother" announcing they had grown up a bit; the next announcement came in the 1983 NCAA Regional Final.

The 1980 championship team was a very close #2 but the only reason it wasn't #1 was because the 2013 team was the first Louisville team to win a championship when I was alive then. Still, I love the 1980 team because of Griffith (Dr. Dunkenstien!) and Denny Crum's coaching mentality.

I perfectly understand - complete difference in perspective based on age. If you're under 30 the 1980 and 1986 championships would just be history; it's a different thing to have lived through them.

Archived