Ranking NFL Helmets only

ScubaSteve

Forget the rest of the jersey completely. This is strictly your ranking of NFL headgear. Here' mine 5 best and worst:

Best

1. 49ers - I usually prefer imagery over text but its hard to deny how good this looks
  2. Eagles - Not even being biased because I think the rest of the jersey really needs an upgrade
  3. Bills - timeless image plus the thick stripes imply power
  4. Rams - I like it when teams dont just slap their main logo on the helmet but get creative with it.
  5. Bengals - for the same reason as the Rams and Eagles, thinking outside the box. Plus every stripe is different

Worst

1. Jaguars - why, just why
  2. Falcons - a shame because their red throwback alternate would easily make my top 5
  3. Ravens - they just kinda threw the logo on, disregarding the fact that the logo isn't that great
  4. Panthers - I cringe whenever I see those flared stripes in the back
  5. Chargers - Just too much white space on the helmet. Why not put that stallion-shield logo on there?

I'm interested to hear everyones thoughts

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best (in no order):

Chargers - hard to beat the bolt

Seahawks - i like the matte helmet, and glossy stripe

Patriots Throwback - i miss seeing it, its better than the current

Eagles/Bengals - both unique

Worst:

Jaguars: good idea, failed horribly

AmPJ0Ty.png 

1) Cincinnati Bengals

2) Philadelphia Eagles

3) St. Louis Rams

4) Tampa Bay Buccaneers

5) Atlanta Falcons

28) Chicago Bears

29) Carolina Panthers

30) New York Jets

31) Kansas City Chiefs

32) Jacksonville Jaguars

What a difference a couple of years makes. Jacksonville and Seattle would have been tied for #1 on my list as recently as two seasons ago. Now the Jaguars sport an utter abomination of a helmet and the Seahawks spoiled their great helmets with the matte finish and "wing" pattern.

Best to Worst

1. Bengals

2. Buccaneers

3. Chargers

4. Saints

5. Titans

6. Broncos

7. Packers

8. Jets

9. Bears

10. Patriots

11. Lions

12. Falcons

13. Panthers

14. Steelers

15. Texans

16. Raiders

17. Chiefs

18. Eagles

19. Redskins

20. Dolphins

21. Rams

22. Seahawks

23. Vikings

24. Cowboys

25. Giants

26. Colts

27. Ravens

28. Browns

29. 49ers

30. Cardinals

31. Bills

32. Jaguars

spacer.png

Rams and Eagles are good concepts but the execution isnt there because the colors kind of suck with the Eagles automobile green and the Rams boring navy/gold combo. Both of those teams need to go back to their old color schemes and they'd probably be Top 5. .

Bengals are far and away #1 due to the creativity, colors, and overall look. Vikings and Chargers are up there as well helmet-wise.

Bottom 5 would probably be:

Jags - OK logo, awful color pattern

Browns - yawn

Chiefs - blah, has no gold in it but has black for some reason?

Ravens - the logo is still lame even if it's flying shield predecessor was worse

Jets - boring, non-descript

Best to Worst

1. Bengals

2. Buccaneers

3. Chargers

4. Saints

5. Titans

6. Broncos

7. Packers

8. Jets

9. Bears

10. Patriots

11. Lions

12. Falcons

13. Panthers

14. Steelers

15. Texans

16. Raiders

17. Chiefs

18. Eagles

19. Redskins

20. Texans

21. Rams

22. Seahawks

23. Vikings

24. Cowboys

25. Giants

26. Dolphins

27. Ravens

28. Browns

29. 49ers

30. Cardinals

31. Bills

32. Jaguars

Man you must really hate the jaguars if they're worse than the devils gray face masks huh?

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Best to Worst

1. Bengals

2. Buccaneers

3. Chargers

4. Saints

5. Titans

6. Broncos

7. Packers

8. Jets

9. Bears

10. Patriots

11. Lions

12. Falcons

13. Panthers

14. Steelers

15. Texans

16. Raiders

17. Chiefs

18. Eagles

19. Redskins

20. Texans

21. Rams

22. Seahawks

23. Vikings

24. Cowboys

25. Giants

26. Dolphins

27. Ravens

28. Browns

29. 49ers

30. Cardinals

31. Bills

32. Jaguars

Man you must really hate the jaguars if they're worse than the devils gray face masks huh?

Hey, at least I placed your Cowboys and your rivals the Giants higher than 3 teams with gray facemasks, and don't forget the Raiders at 16 because all three of those teams should have gray facemasks.

spacer.png

1. Arizona Cardinals

Everything works. The logo is a perfect update of the original and the plain white shell/grey facemask just works for the oldest team in the league.

2. Cincinnati Bengals

This is what real innovation looks like Nike. It's not different just to be different. It's both different and effective. This would probably be my #1 if I didn't love the Cardinals' logo as much as I do.

3. Chicago Bears

My favourite of the NFL's "classic" helmet designs. The logo is indeed classic and the colours are perfect.

4. Dallas Cowboys

The Cowboys' uniforms have problems. The helmet, however, is perfect. It's a truly iconic design.

5. St. Louis Rams

The colours may be a bit dreary, but you can't deny the classic nature of the look. It's also the NFL's first helmet design. While it's currently in its least attractive colour scheme it still looks better then most of the league's designs.

==============================================

28. New York Jets

The design's considered a classic by some, but the logo's really showing its age. An oval that contains the JETS wordmark, an NY, and a football? It's to much. The plain oval/NY mark they used a while back would have served as a great update while keeping the overall look intact.

29. Miami Dolphins

The new logo's terribly generic and just doesn't fill out enough of the helmet. The striping also needs more orange.

30. Seattle Sehawks

The matte finish is incredibly gimmicky and the wing pattern looks odd. It reminds me of a piece of plastic wrap someone forgot to peel off. The wing pattern itself can only really be viewed if you're close up to the helmet, which hampers the design.

31. Baltimore Ravens

The tapered helmet stripes used by the Ravens, Broncos, Titans, and Panthers all seem incredibly dated. The latter three, however, manage to get by with passable logos. The Ravens? Their logo's just awful and it sinks the design.

32. Jacksonville Jaguars

It's a joke.

Best to Worst

1. Bengals

2. Buccaneers

3. Chargers

4. Saints

5. Titans

6. Broncos

7. Packers

8. Jets

9. Bears

10. Patriots

11. Lions

12. Falcons

13. Panthers

14. Steelers

15. Texans

16. Raiders

17. Chiefs

18. Eagles

19. Redskins

20. Texans

21. Rams

22. Seahawks

23. Vikings

24. Cowboys

25. Giants

26. Dolphins

27. Ravens

28. Browns

29. 49ers

30. Cardinals

31. Bills

32. Jaguars

You have the Texans at 15 & 20. I'm guessing one of them is supposed to be the Colts.

For me?

1. Bucs

2. Texans

3. Panthers

4. Chargers - nice helmet...poor with home/away uniforms though.

5. Eagles

Worst

1. Jags - horrible

2. Steelers - looks way too dated. They need to replace the gray with yellow and they could put six "bolts" holding the logo to the helmet repping the six SB wins. They need to slap it on the other side too

3. Browns - gray mask. No logo

4. Colts - gray mask

5. Cards - gray mask

6. 49ers - gray mask, washed out colors

KISSwall09.jpg

In order:

1. Steelers- maybe some bias, but still.
  2. Bengals
  3. Vikings
  4. Chargers
  5. Cowboys
  6. Bears
  7. Eagles
  8. Rams
  9. Seahawks
  10. Bills
  11. Packers
  12. Raiders
  13. Giants
  14. Browns
  15. Patriots
  16. Chiefs
  17. Saints
  18. Redskins
  19. Broncos
  20. Panthers
  21. Buccaneers
  22. Colts
  23. Lions
  24. Titans
  25. Jets
  26. Ravens
  27. Cardinals
  28. Dolphins
  29. Falcons
  30. Texans
  31. Titans
  32. Jaguars.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

I don't know. I feel like teams with a single letter for the helmet, like the Bears and the Packers, are so plain it's hard to screw up. Granted, there is something to say for simplicity, but at the same time, it feels too safe and kind of dull I'd like to see some more design, like Jacksonville, Tampa, Buffalo or Washington. If the Jags kept their helments black, I think they'd have a Top 10 design, but the gradient just screws it all up.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

I think this illustrates an interesting point. Almost everyone has the Jaguars last (as would I). And almost everyone has the Bengals in the top 5 (as would I).

Both helmets are "innovative." Therefore, "innovative" is neither good nor bad.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived