Yakball is back: A few of my concepts

Jake88

Hi guys. This is my first thread on these boards so I hope it goes well. I will be posting a few of my yakall concepts that I have made in the past. If an idea that you guys have strikes me as "good" I might use it. Just a note: if you haven't seen the original yakball thread, I suggest you check it out, it will help explain a lot to you. I think that I will start with the first yakball concept that I ever did, Team Finland!

Yakball+Finland+Concept.png

So do you like it? The design on the arms is a inverted Finnish flag with some navy detailing. The colors are from the national ice hockey team. So thats really it. Like Raysox said on the original Yakball thread "these could be soccer concepts really" so if you comment thanks a lot! I will try to post another concept tomorrow.

Jake88%2BSignture.png

Hooray! Yakball is back! The concept is nice, but I'd get rid of some of the black, especially on the home numbers.

Not black; Navy. And it looked too bright with white numbers.

Can't believe I mixed that up. Navy's fine.

While these are generally well done, I think the lion for Macedonia would be controversial. That is an ancient symbol for the area, but it has not been adopted officially for the modern country (a Communist-style scene is still used instead), and, while there is some support to adopt the lion, there are ethnic and political concerns with that. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_the_Republic_of_Macedonia

Conversely, Finland does use a sword-wielding lion on its sports uniforms, which you might consider for Yakball.

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

While these are generally well done, I think the lion for Macedonia would be controversial. That is an ancient symbol for the area, but it has not been adopted officially for the modern country (a Communist-style scene is still used instead), and, while there is some support to adopt the lion, there are ethnic and political concerns with that. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_the_Republic_of_Macedonia

Conversely, Finland does use a sword-wielding lion on its sports uniforms, which you might consider for Yakball.

Didn't know that, odd thing is, I got that concept reviewed by a guy that has a Macedonian heritage and is very knowledgeable of their culture and he never pointed that out. The reason I used that lion logo is because I thought it looked pretty good as a sports crest. And personally I still do.

Since I am a big hockey fan I knew about Finland's lion crest that they use on their uniforms. Never even thought about using it. I don't think I am going to update it though. I wanted the crest to be distinctive to Yakball.

Next kit. My mom's college U of SC Gamecocks!

Yakball_Gamecocks_Jersey_Concept.pngThese were heavily based off the schools football uniforms, but with some changes to make them unique.

I really appreciate you guy's commenting, so keep it up!

Jake88%2BSignture.png

Didn't know that, odd thing is, I got that concept reviewed by a guy that has a Macedonian heritage and is very knowledgeable of their culture and he never pointed that out. The reason I used that lion logo is because I thought it looked pretty good as a sports crest. And personally I still do.

Since I am a big hockey fan I knew about Finland's lion crest that they use on their uniforms. Never even thought about using it. I don't think I am going to update it though. I wanted the crest to be distinctive to Yakball.

Yakball_Gamecocks_Jersey_Concept.pngThese were heavily based off the schools football uniforms, but with some changes to make them unique.

These are looking great, I'd love to see LSU...

NewOrleansBowl_zpsb1707dea.png

These are looking great, I'd love to see LSU...

Once I get done with the old one's, I could make a LSU one if you want. Still have about four to post.

Jake88%2BSignture.png

Here is the next one up in my "collection", the Montana State Bobcats!

Yakball_Montana_Jersey_Concept.pngI think that the colors really make this one pop. Also, for once I used the actual Yakball font.

I would appreciate some more comments on the South Carolina one, and this one too.

Jake88%2BSignture.png

For MBVSWB, LSU!

Yakball+Tigers+Concept.pngSince I finished this one early I decided, why not put it on now. For the jersey, I took inspiration from the schools football uniforms (again) and put some striping on the top of the jersey. I also made a chest stripe that continues onto the arms. I don't think it's "perfect" yet so if you have any ideas feel free to shout them out. Thanks.

Jake88%2BSignture.png

I don't know if this would help but on LSU, I might try going with a one color set, or adding a set of yellow shorts in place of the white or purple ones. Great job!

I tried the yellow shorts originally, but they didn't look that good.

The next concept I have is a big one (you'll get it when I unveil it) so I will put it on tomorrow. Meanwhile I really appreciate everyone commenting, though more is always better, so keep it up!

Jake88%2BSignture.png

I'm curious: how/why are you selecting the countries/schools you're doing?

I ask because you've had a couple SEC teams, a Big Sky team, and a couple, seemingly random, European countries.

Let's see

I had a good idea for Finland, so naturally I did it.

Macedonia was a fix to a friend's Macedonia concept.

South Carolina was my mom's school and she wanted me to make a concept for it.

I love Montana's logo...

And LSU was for MBVSWB (look/read some of the comments above)

Yeah, it is kinda random..

Jake88%2BSignture.png

Archived