My NFL: Simple, Sleek, Brand Cohesion (Updating with additional views)

thespungo

zInq82E.jpg

St. Louis Rams

- An adaptation to what many fans would say is their best look, using navy for a modern twist on one of the NFL's most classic uniform sets.

- A bold custom number type with a strong base and hard edges, reminiscent of the mountains that a ram would call home.

- Solid-color socks and navy shoes gives this traditional uniform a slick, modern feel.

Nice. Very nice.

Although I'm sad to see just how many teams Adrian Peterson is getting traded to.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would the Panthers make Carolina Blue their main color, this is what a Panther looks like after all

Black-Panther-animals-13128434-1280-800.

I've never seen a Honolulu blue Lion before, yet that's the Lions primary color...

Most of these are very well done. I think my favorite would have to be St. Louis with that yellow jersey.

nlog42.jpg

Thanks Dolphins91 for the jersey avatars.

First of all, let me say this is one of the most well-presented concepts I've ever seen on these boards. Your Photoshop work is top-notch--some of the best I've seen. It would be nice to see some sort of side view for the helmet and pants, though.

Now to the teams...

A lot of great, constructive criticism -- thank you. Really enjoyed reading that and would even say I agree with several points.

whats the wordmark on the rams road uniform?

cWlMhRh.jpg

First of all, let me say this is one of the most well-presented concepts I've ever seen on these boards. Your Photoshop work is top-notch--some of the best I've seen. It would be nice to see some sort of side view for the helmet and pants, though.

Now to the teams...

A lot of great, constructive criticism -- thank you. Really enjoyed reading that and would even say I agree with several points.

whats the wordmark on the rams road uniform?

cWlMhRh.jpg

Thinking it would look better with a capital S.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Theese are great concepts.

Ravens: If the gradient is iridescent like Oregon's mallard wings, then I really like it.

Bills: the set really pops.

Bengals: sublimation is awesome.

Browns: this is one of my favorites in your set.

Eagles: this concept is the bees knees.

Giants: red nw stripes on blue is really dark and hard to see and the same of the red alternate with the blue stripes.

Skins: war paint is genious just the black makes it hard to see and dark.

Really appreciate everyone's comments so far -- both the praise and the constructive criticism. As has been said, I did put a lot of thought into these, so if you have more questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to explain the choices I made. I'll try and group my responses below:

Why would the Panthers make Carolina Blue their main color, this is what a Panther looks like after all...

I understand where you're coming from, as many of concepts attempted to replicate animal colors and prints onto the uniform, but sharing the NFC South with two teams who predominantly wear black, the blue is an ownable color for the Panthers and sets them apart from division rivals who have a history of black in their palettes.

These are really well done. I love your creativity and attention to detail. I would really like to see different angles of these concepts. We can't see the helmets or striping well.

I've seen this mentioned a few times, and while I agree that more angles would be nice, that is just adding on too much additional work. For the most part, the helmets have stayed the same on the side, unless otherwise described by me, so you're not missing much by not seeing that angle. As for the pants, the stripes -- if present on a uniform -- would stay consistent with the striping seen elsewhere on the jersey, socks, and helmet, so filling in the blanks there hopefully should not be too difficult.

The Bills, Pats, and Giants all look really similar to me.

I can understand why you'd say this as I'll freely admit that out of my entire project, these three teams do share some distinctions of the same elements. But apart from the obvious color palette similarities (although in fairness, each team has a different shade of blue and red) the Bills, Patriots, and Giants all have a unique identity with their own distinctive, ownable elements -- from the striping to the number and letter type. And to my credit, I feel I did my best with what is a fairly ubiquitous color scheme throughout all major sports.

And as the Patriots and Bills share the AFC East, I took greater care to create distinctive looks for each, while not worrying so much about the impact of the Giants from the opposite league.

...Raiders (No to the 'Black Hole' alternate. It just doesn't even remotely say 'Raiders')...

Not even remotely? One of the team's most marketable aspects is The Black Hole and their sometimes frightening fan base can often be seen at home games dressed head to toe in black. It seemed like an intimidating, appropriate home alternate for special occasions.

I wasn't really clear with my comment. It makes sense they will all look similar given the color palettes- and you did do a great job on this whole series, just at first glance if they were side by side I'd be hard pressed to tell who was who. Actually look at it for a minute or two and it's clear. I think other angles (side profile and helmet) would help so you can really see the detail.

Really liked the red skins war paint and the broncos- those were pretty slick

5exu75.jpg2i1dojp.jpg

Why would the Panthers make Carolina Blue their main color, this is what a Panther looks like after all

I've never seen a Honolulu blue Lion before, yet that's the Lions primary color...

That's a great point. The color of an animal in real life does not necessarily have to translate to a team's primary logo, as is the case with the Lions, as well as a number of other teams. As long as it's consistent throughout the set and consistent with the brand, this gives teams an easy avenue towards crafting a distinctive look.

Theese are great concepts.

Ravens: If the gradient is iridescent like Oregon's mallard wings, then I really like it.

If it were up to me, yes, it would have iridescent qualities. I'm a big fan of Nike's experimentation with new uniform technologies and would employ some of that with a few different uniforms in this project.

That Jacksonville Jaguars and Washington Redskins ones are absolutely fantastic. The Bucs one, especially the number font, just don't work well. It looks kinda thrown together. I'd like to see you give that one another go because it's obvious some of these you spent a lot of time doing and others you threw together. The ones you spent a long time on, look phenomenal!

That Jacksonville Jaguars and Washington Redskins ones are absolutely fantastic. The Bucs one, especially the number font, just don't work well. It looks kinda thrown together. I'd like to see you give that one another go because it's obvious some of these you spent a lot of time doing and others you threw together. The ones you spent a long time on, look phenomenal!

Glad you liked a few of them, but I can assure you none of these concepts were "thrown together".

Glad you liked a few of them, but I can assure you none of these concepts were "thrown together".

By no means do I only like a few of them. I like the majority of them! Just a few I would potentially re-visit, that's all.

Really enjoying everyone's comments, thanks a bunch for taking time out to let me know what you think!

What font did you use for the Charger's numbers?

Using their current number type as a base, I simply italicized the numbers and strengthened the edges and points.

Chargers, Ravens, Eagles, Broncos, Jaguars are all amazing in my opinion. I respect the work you put into the rest of your concepts as well, even if some of the designs don't quite appeal to me; very nicely executed all around, mate.

What did you use for the Eagles' font?

Thanks! Not sure for me personally I would include the Broncos and Jaguars among my best, but I would definitely say both concepts for the Eagles and Ravens are in my top five.

I started off with a blank slate for the Eagles -- just a normal block type. I wanted something that appeared aerodynamic and also had points and serifs that could abstractly represent an eagle's talons and wingtips.

WlQgoBl.jpg

Kansas City Chiefs

- Another strong, proud uniform tradition remains virtually untouched.

- Solid-color socks and red shoes gives one of the NFL's most traditional uniforms a slick, modern feel.

Love the sold color socks. They make all the difference.

My suggestion is to add some striping to the helmet (the same stripes from the red jersey sleeves). I made a post about a month ago with those stripes and I thought it made the helmet look more complete

Archived