My NFL: Simple, Sleek, Brand Cohesion (Updating with additional views)

thespungo

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice work, I love this.

My favorites: Ravens, Browns, Eagles, Saints. All fantastic

Least favorites: And really the only ones I didn't care for....Panthers (too much black), Cowboys (hate those weird colored pants and would love a concept based on the Thanksgiving unis), Titans (wish they lost the navy and were based more on the old Oiler unis), Redskins (love their current unis and this was too far from those)

But overall I'm a big fan of what you've done here.

Overall, I liked these. I like the clean modernizations of a lot of the identities. One thing I'm not a fan of is the huge helmet stripes (except on the Giants' uniforms). As was mentioned by someone else, it would be nice to see more views of the helmet.

Awesome: Bengals, Broncos

Good: Cardinals, Panthers, Bears, Cowboys, Colts, Chiefs, Vikings, Saints, Jets, 49ers, Seahawks, Titans

OK: Falcons (the red looks a bit orangeish), Bills, Lions, Packers (good except for helmet stripe), Jaguars, Dolphins, Patriots (it's good, but it just doesn't say 'Patriots'), Giants, Raiders (No to the 'Black Hole' alternate. It just doesn't even remotely say 'Raiders'), Steelers (not a fan of the silver alternate, though), Chargers, Rams

Meh: Ravens, Browns, Texans, Eagles (the wings don't really look like wings)

No: Buccaneers

Aye-yi-yi!: Redskins (Really, everything about this is awful: the number font, the black, the war paint. I get what you were going for, but it just doesn't work for the Redskins.)

"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life.'" - John 14:6

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

Really appreciate everyone's comments so far -- both the praise and the constructive criticism. As has been said, I did put a lot of thought into these, so if you have more questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to explain the choices I made. I'll try and group my responses below:

Why would the Panthers make Carolina Blue their main color, this is what a Panther looks like after all...

I understand where you're coming from, as many of concepts attempted to replicate animal colors and prints onto the uniform, but sharing the NFC South with two teams who predominantly wear black, the blue is an ownable color for the Panthers and sets them apart from division rivals who have a history of black in their palettes.

These are really well done. I love your creativity and attention to detail. I would really like to see different angles of these concepts. We can't see the helmets or striping well.

I've seen this mentioned a few times, and while I agree that more angles would be nice, that is just adding on too much additional work. For the most part, the helmets have stayed the same on the side, unless otherwise described by me, so you're not missing much by not seeing that angle. As for the pants, the stripes -- if present on a uniform -- would stay consistent with the striping seen elsewhere on the jersey, socks, and helmet, so filling in the blanks there hopefully should not be too difficult.

The Bills, Pats, and Giants all look really similar to me.

I can understand why you'd say this as I'll freely admit that out of my entire project, these three teams do share some distinctions of the same elements. But apart from the obvious color palette similarities (although in fairness, each team has a different shade of blue and red) the Bills, Patriots, and Giants all have a unique identity with their own distinctive, ownable elements -- from the striping to the number and letter type. And to my credit, I feel I did my best with what is a fairly ubiquitous color scheme throughout all major sports.

And as the Patriots and Bills share the AFC East, I took greater care to create distinctive looks for each, while not worrying so much about the impact of the Giants from the opposite league.

...Raiders (No to the 'Black Hole' alternate. It just doesn't even remotely say 'Raiders')...

Not even remotely? One of the team's most marketable aspects is The Black Hole and their sometimes frightening fan base can often be seen at home games dressed head to toe in black. It seemed like an intimidating, appropriate home alternate for special occasions.

The reason I say it doesn't look like the Raiders is because there are so many teams that wear all black, and the all-black Raiders look very generic. The look could work, but if you just showed me the black-out uniform, it would take me a long time to guess what team it was. I think maybe switching the helmet to silver would help with this.

I second what matthew823 said about the Broncos.

"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life.'" - John 14:6

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

As mentioned before, you've done a great job, regardless of whether someone likes the design, at paying attention to detail. I for one would like to see up close shots of the side of the uniform such as the helmet, shoulder area and pants. Overall though this is a very nice concept thread, well done.

Curious as to why the Steelers alternate is all grey. Last night it was all yellow with a grey helmet and all it needed was grey pants.

You must have caught it while I was still in the process of updating the thread, I saw you posted towards the beginning. Took quite some time to upload and edit the posts for all 32 teams and I accidentally uploaded the wrong file a few times. There are many uniforms that did not make the final cut, the yellow Steelers alternate you saw, included.

As for the Steelers alternate, I felt a nod to their name -- a "steel-dipped" uniform, helmet, and accessories -- would better reinforce their overall brand image.

Great concepts for the most part. Some concepts worked a lot better than others, but overall these are well done.

Not really digging the abundance of wide helmet stripes. Some teams' helmets (Browns, Packers, Giants) are untouchable, in my opinion.

Not really digging the abundance of wide helmet stripes. Some teams' helmets (Browns, Packers, Giants) are untouchable, in my opinion.

I can understand the sentiment for certain teams to stick with their traditional helmet stripe. However, in the case of the Packers, for instance, their traditional helmet stripe -- the green/white/green pattern -- is quite ubiquitous in the NFL today, with many teams opting for an A/B/A pattern on their helmets and pants despite the fact that they may have a completely contradictory striping pattern at use elsewhere on the uniform. The 49ers, the Browns, and the Cowboys are also similar offenders of contradicting stripe patterns, just to name a few.

If the NFL were to start from scratch and redesign every team, it wouldn't be good design sense to give teams like that an inconsistent look. With these concepts I set out to show how by sticking to ownable, distinctive looks, teams could enhance their existing brands and set themselves apart and be unique.

My first goal was to respect each team's uniform history and I did that as often as I could, but if a team's history was fraught with bad design sense, then I opted for a change.

First of all, let me say this is one of the most well-presented concepts I've ever seen on these boards. Your Photoshop work is top-notch--some of the best I've seen. It would be nice to see some sort of side view for the helmet and pants, though.

Now to the teams:

ARI: Not a big fan of the stitching or shoulder design. Wordmark doesn't translate to number font very well IMO.

ATL: I like the design and the brighter red. Not a fan of the belt loop coloring and contrasting belts on this or any concept.

BAL: Love it. The purple/black gradient works great, and I like the change from gold to silver. Numbers are very unique in a good way.

BUF: Like the single red stripe motif. Numbers seem a little minor league.

CAR: One of the best. Large helmet logo, three tapered stripes, and number font are all great.
CHI: NO to the orange pants.

CIN: Love the new shoulder/sleeve design and number font, don't love the sublimated stripes.

CLE: Doesn't really scream "Browns" to me. Also a little plain.

DAL: Perfect.

DEN: Somewhat of a lateral move IMO.

DET: Like the subtle changes.

GB: Current helmet stripe should stay. Otherwise solid.

HOU: Not a fan of anything here. Maybe play off the blue/red color split in the logo and Texas flag.

IND: Like the blue pants. Missed an opportunity for a double helmet stripe to match the jersey and pants.

JAX: Better than what they have now. Would have to see the spot pattern on the field to say if it's too much.

KC: Perfect.

MIA: More emphasis on orange would be nice.

MIN: If the stripe on the white pants is changed to match the white jersey, then perfect.

NE: I like these a lot. The stripes reflecting the logo are sharp.

NO: Probably my favorite. Love, love, love those numbers. Single helmet stripe looks better than current.
NYG: Love the addition of N'Western stripes to home and alt. Not a fan of the huge helmet stripe.

NYJ: Love the socks. Not much change needed.

OAK: Yep.

PHI: The shade of green is beautiful. I like the shoulder design and number font.

PIT: I'd like to see a potential change to the striping pattern. It's honestly too big for today's sleeves.

SD: Not a fan of the gradients. Yellow bolts on white need a blue stroke.
SF: Sleeve stripe fix is good. Not sure if I'm a fan of the ND helmet treatment.
SEA: Good changes. Like the addition of green to the road unis.

STL: I like the return of yellow and the yellow home. Home sleeves should be yellow though. The white just doesn't look good.

TB: Another favorite. The numbers and collar design are just sexy.

TEN: I'm a fan of their current uni design, so these are good for me.

WAS: Not a fan of these at all. The double stripes on their sleeves are unique in the NFL, so I would run with those. I'm not opposed to a little bit of black though.

Archived