Nitroseed's Survivor Series Tournament

nitroseed

By the way, just as an update, we have 30 entrants so far.

Also, I believe that, due to time constraints, we will be using 8 teams, each of which will only have 3 members instead of 4. I'm also going to set up an "alternates" pool consisting of the guys who don't get selected for a team, so if someone has to drop out of their team, we'll have a replacement available.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is a cool idea. Quick question. What all would a submission entail? Primary, secondary, tertiary, wordmark, uniforms? Or just a primary?

I'll put my name down considering myself more in a consulting role and work on unis if that's part of the deal.

Nitro...

Sicne this is a work in progress, I wanted to put forth a suggestion. Above all, this is your baby, so do what you feel is best. That said, this is my reccomendation;

It seems there are quite a few folks who want to be involved, but have stated in their posts that they are 'more of a consultant' or 'only work on paper' etc. It would be a shame if the Hat selected a team of thinkers, and no doers.

Could we have two classifications for entry - Conceptor and Constructor

The team is made up of these two groups in proportion to how many of each group enter. For insatance, 2 Constructors, and one Conceptor. The roles in the team would not be enforced in any way, and either person could do either part or both. BUT this will keep there from being a team of BiB, YH, and gbasalmon (all individuals who want to participate but have said they are not prepared to engage in full digital creation.)

Just a thought!

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Nitro...

Sicne this is a work in progress, I wanted to put forth a suggestion. Above all, this is your baby, so do what you feel is best. That said, this is my reccomendation;

It seems there are quite a few folks who want to be involved, but have stated in their posts that they are 'more of a consultant' or 'only work on paper' etc. It would be a shame if the Hat selected a team of thinkers, and no doers.

Could we have two classifications for entry - Conceptor and Constructor

The team is made up of these two groups in proportion to how many of each group enter. For insatance, 2 Constructors, and one Conceptor. The roles in the team would not be enforced in any way, and either person could do either part or both. BUT this will keep there from being a team of BiB, YH, and gbasalmon (all individuals who want to participate but have said they are not prepared to engage in full digital creation.)

Just a thought!

I was just about to suggest the same idea. Except I think it should still be 4 memebrs of a team, 1 being the "Conceptor". You would still have your drawing from a hat for each team, except you would put all the "Conceptors" in one hat, drawing one for ewach team, and drawing all the "Constructors" fromk another hat.

Whatcha gonna do when the Ultimate MegaPowers run wild over you!

UMPPrimarySig.jpgUMPWarriorSig.jpgUMPAltSig.jpg

This will only work if you have a GroupA of the top 8 designers, a GroupB of the 8 tweeners' (OK designers/conceptors) and a GroupC of 8 idea guys.

Some kind of seeding system.

If you blind draw everybody, you run the risk of having the whole thing over before it starts.

looks like i just missed the first 32, if someone is out count me in

Jungle, no one is guaranteed a spot in the tournament yet. The team members will be selected at random from the entire group of entrants, whether there are 32 or 132, so you have just as good of a chance of being selected as anyone else entered so far (with the exception of possibly captains; see below). Those left over will be alternates for people who need to drop out of the competition.

The three-member format is going to have to stay as is for the sake of time. The more members on a team, the longer it will take to finish a match, and ultimately the tournament. With three members, each match can only go to a maximum of five rounds.

As for the Constructor / Conceptualist idea, it's a tricky situation. Unfortunately, I'm seeing that I may be forced to implement a rule that states if you are unable to create your own concepts in any way without assistance from another person, then you cannot enter. This is because even if a team had two illustrators and a conceptualist, if all the illustrators were eliminated, the conceptualist could not enter for himself.

I sincerely apologize to those of you who are strictly conceptualizers, but in order to uphold the integrity of the competition, I'm afraid that you will be ineligible to participate. I will try to work around this for the next competition.

As for MoJoTo's idea, I had considered that, but more to the extent of having the 8 "marquee players" as team captains, then pooling everyone else together. I don't want to get into the pitfall of classifying everyone as a "tweener" or "low rate" designer. So for the captains idea, if everyone thinks that is fair, then I will go with that plan.

Well, I'll take it a step further and say that if there are people who are prepared to get their hands dirty in the actual design area, I'm more than willing to step aside and let them do so. I don't necessarily think teams need a designated "conceptor" when they've got "creators" who are more than capable of "concepting" as well.

I'm content to just sit back and admire the beautiful work that will, no doubt, be submitted to this contest.

Brian in Boston

I think it'd be alright if Nitro picked his 32 participants, as planned, then classified them as a "conceptor" or "creator" before he draws the teams.

That way everybody has an equal chance to participate, and we don't have to worry about teams being imbalanced.

Mojo, got your spoon out ready to stir the pot, eh? :lol: You know the mess that would result from us trying to rank the designers.

I'd glad for nitro to seed, glad for nitro to rank, glad for nitro to assign captains, glad for nitro to separate into conceptors and designers, I'd trust Nitro to do this his own way, and we will have fun doing it. If Nitro seeded be 32nd, that'd be fine by me, I wouldn't get my feelings hurt. In any case, whatever Nitro decides is cool with me.

I look forward to seeing what comes out of all of this.

Huzzah for the next great contest!

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

8 Captains would be fine - and the rest are the pool.

I don't profess to know who those 8 are, or how to pick them - but it's the only way to secure an on-going tournament. Kind of like everybody waiting around the TV as the NCAA committee announce the seedings for the March Madness tournament. Somebody is going to be left out...but hey!

Then you'll have to deal with the fact that the Big 8 couldn't be voted out until a certain point in the contest - or their team is severely diminished. They would be the obvious target of the other teams.

I don't plan on entering so I don't care, but I think it's a good concept if done properly. I'd be happy to bring some of my old game show producing and rules making experience into the mix.

Well, how about if I pick the 8 myself... but don't announce who they are. I don't want to end up protecting captains or giving them an advantage in any way. I believe the teams will end up strong enough and even enough that losing a "captain" won't condemn them to losing entirely. That's why there is such a thing as an "upset." :)

Well, how about if I pick the 8 myself... but don't announce who they are. I don't want to end up protecting captains or giving them an advantage in any way. I believe the teams will end up strong enough and even enough that losing a "captain" won't condemn them to losing entirely. That's why there is such a thing as an "upset." :)

Somehow I'm still not balancing the concept of voting one participant off after each competition. It is apparent to most people in the community who the top people are.

If you look at the results of the Logolympaid, there were only about 10 artists that had a chance to win each competition, and in fact, it was dominated by about 6 or so people.

I'm not sure where you're going with the elimination thing in your grand scheme, so it may work. But I think the elimination of a whole team might be a more effective and exciting alternative....building team unity, forging new relationships etc....maybe even a double elimination thing for each team.

Let anybody that wants to "declare" that they are fit to be a Big 8 - if they feel so inclined. You won't get more than a dozen . Then you pick the Big 8 from those that declared. The rest become the random pool assigned to one of the 8.

Hey, I'm all for the team captains idea. Keeps us from having this mega-logo dream team of, hypothetically, Nitro, Avenger, and Rozilla...

I say, in the wise words of the NBA Finals commercial, "Let's get it started."

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Archived