2,104 posts in this topic

2016-09-03.pngLogoTemplate_VintageLogos_MichiganWolver

hmmmmmmm.........

I don't know who patrat55 is nor do i know if anyone cares, but i just wanted tot notify  everyone that this is out there.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Htown1141 said:

2016-09-03.pngLogoTemplate_VintageLogos_MichiganWolver

hmmmmmmm.........

I don't know who patrat55 is nor do i know if anyone cares, but i just wanted tot notify  everyone that this is out there.

Of course we care when someone rips off one of Ren's logos, or anyone's for that matter.. Thanks for notifying us, hopefully Ren will be able to send a cease and desist.

On another note, I should have another update posted soon :D

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thnx for the heads up Htown!  I'll look to see what can be done. Pretty tuff to combat these things when so much artwork is out there for the picking for these guys.  Looked on his page & also found hettinger_rl wolverine concept being sold as a sticker by someone else.

 

WolverineEBAY.png

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before I get deep, there has been a lot of great work posted on here! I'm mad at myself for not keeping up with it! 

 

The last couple of posts have brought up a topic that I always struggle with. When do we as the artists own the work? I like to think that as soon as you put pen to paper (or pen tool to digital art board) you own that design. However, when you are doing a logo update you aren't creating a unique design, you are improving an existing one. So do you own the rights, or does the school? See Shepard Fairey's HOPE poster for example. 

 

I was always taught growing up that the only way to cheat in art is to put your name on someone else's work. Unfortunately, that's not how copyright laws work and it's not that easy to understand. In this case, someone clearly took Ren's logo and started using it for profit, which is definitely a no-no in my book. 

 

Im curious what Ren and others think on this topic, especially with the theme of this thread! 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, mdlesatz said:

Before I get deep, there has been a lot of great work posted on here! I'm mad at myself for not keeping up with it! 

 

The last couple of posts have brought up a topic that I always struggle with. When do we as the artists own the work? I like to think that as soon as you put pen to paper (or pen tool to digital art board) you own that design. However, when you are doing a logo update you aren't creating a unique design, you are improving an existing one. So do you own the rights, or does the school? See Shepard Fairey's HOPE poster for example. 

 

I was always taught growing up that the only way to cheat in art is to put your name on someone else's work. Unfortunately, that's not how copyright laws work and it's not that easy to understand. In this case, someone clearly took Ren's logo and started using it for profit, which is definitely a no-no in my book. 

 

Im curious what Ren and others think on this topic, especially with the theme of this thread! 

You've brought up an interesting point I've never considered before. I'm not really sure where I stand on that.

As an artist who puts time and effort into redoing these logos, I'd like to receive some sort of recognition for doing that logo. It's one thing if the original school is profiting off of one of my logos, I would be fine with that even if they only credited me by adding my name. But when a person who we're assuming is not connected to the school in any way, is profiting off of one of our logos I would consider it to be theft. The least that person could have done was ask for permission, but of course it seems like these days if a person sees a logo on google or what not they think it's fair game. That's my two cents on it.

 

On another note, I finished a new vintage logo.

This time it's the Denver Broncos, as requested by @ihaveno

txIbMZq.png

 

 

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mdlesatz said:

Before I get deep, there has been a lot of great work posted on here! I'm mad at myself for not keeping up with it! 

 

The last couple of posts have brought up a topic that I always struggle with. When do we as the artists own the work? I like to think that as soon as you put pen to paper (or pen tool to digital art board) you own that design. However, when you are doing a logo update you aren't creating a unique design, you are improving an existing one. So do you own the rights, or does the school? See Shepard Fairey's HOPE poster for example. 

 

I was always taught growing up that the only way to cheat in art is to put your name on someone else's work. Unfortunately, that's not how copyright laws work and it's not that easy to understand. In this case, someone clearly took Ren's logo and started using it for profit, which is definitely a no-no in my book. 

 

Im curious what Ren and others think on this topic, especially with the theme of this thread! 

 

It's a very valid point to say we are simply updating pre existing logos which are property of their respective schools.  However, these updates breath new life into those vintage marks which some would never think possible given the bad quality of the some of the original & sometimes only available image.  With that being said, every image posted online always runs the risk of being used by someone out there for their own personal gain & I'm fully aware of that possibility.  I'm sure if I spent countless hours online looking for more of my work being used I would probably find others but I just don't have the time or desire to do so and that's just on the internet.  Imagine how many others are using our work right now but we will probably never know it because it can be a small town high school, elementary, etc.  As a matter a fact I can tell you of one instance...We took a trip to San Antonio & went to Fiesta Texas.  That day there was lots of schools there doing there summer trips, so they all wear their school spirit shirts.  Guess what I saw?  My Meridian CC Eagles logo I did for my other thread & that's an original logo of mine.  I looked at my wife & I said "that's my logo on those kids tees"  She was like..you did that for them? & I said nope.  Her eyes opened up & she says..."they stole it"  I just shrugged my shoulders & said looks that way.  Then just went about our business.  Like I said, it's impossible to police every single piece of artwork you post.  All we can do is stamp our mark on it but again, If you post it...they will come & eventually one will take it. Some will tweak it a little & assume it's ok while others will just use it as is & call it a day.  Bottom line is I don't lose sleep over the work I post online.  I know the risk is there & very high but sometimes the reward is much greater.  So...Yes, these logos are updates of someone elses artwork but the way I see it.  If school's such as Eastern Illinois & Mott College are willing to purchase MY version of THEIR logos then others wanting to use my work for a profit should to.  That's just my 2 cents, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was actually for Boise State, but it looks good either way since there's no name attached to it. 

 

Thank you!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with both of you that there is a sense of sweat equity attached to our designs. The original design may not be ours, but the updated logo has a new feel and life which we created. It only gets tricky if money is involved. 

 

Take that stellar Florida Gators logo for example. I would 100% say that Ren should get any credit for the use of that logo...but can he sell shirts or hats with that on them? 

 

As a creative, I have a love hate relationship with copyrights if you couldn't tell! 

 

Great at work on both the Bronco and Gator! Maybe in my ever-elusive free time I'll try one or two to get back in the hang of illustrator. I may even have a couple that I started but never completed. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ihaveno said:

It was actually for Boise State, but it looks good either way since there's no name attached to it. 

 

Thank you!

Oh lol. I thought for sure with the colors it was a Broncos logo :D Thanks for pointing that out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished a Texas Tech revamp. Not sure if it's been done yet, but I did it regardless.

Tb2xGqH.png

Getting all of those points done in PowerPoint is super time consuming :P 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might have already been asked but could you do the 1980s and 90s logo please.

image.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, InkPark said:

Heres one of my remakes!

GeorgiaTech.png

Wow, what a fantastic update. That (hornet?) is infinitely better than the one they have now :D It's always great to see new talent come to the boards. Welcome to the forums @InkPark (Thanks for the dribbble follow, your page is awesome ;)  )

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ZionEagle said:

Wow, what a fantastic update. That (hornet?) is infinitely better than the one they have now :D It's always great to see new talent come to the boards. Welcome to the forums @InkPark (Thanks for the dribbble follow, your page is awesome ;)  )

It's a yellow jacket😀!! Really good update! 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2016 at 7:26 PM, ZionEagle said:

Just finished a Texas Tech revamp. Not sure if it's been done yet, but I did it regardless.

Tb2xGqH.png

Getting all of those points done in PowerPoint is super time consuming :P 

That's rather intriguing. It would be an interesting secondary logo.  

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now