2014-15 Soccer Kits & News (too early? nah)

Conrad.

I think it's a standard template, but the lack of sponsor and the commemorative crest are rather nice.

I know Hearts are a fair bit older than 100 years, so I'm guessing this (along with the 'honouring the greatest' strapline) is tied into the centenary of the start of the First World War - many of the Hearts players joined up, forming one of the first 'football battalions' and a number were killed in action.

Were they known as anything other than hearts? I know Manchester United had centennial patches on their 2001-2002 uniforms as 1902 was the first year tehy were announced as Manchester United.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They've been 'Heart of Midlothian' since their formation - they're named after an old dance hall, which took its name from the Sir Walter Scott novel. Which in turn was named after a prison...

Yeah, the kits are honoring the start of World War I—Hearts would've almost certainly won the 1914-15 title had 16 of the players not become the first of the so-called "footballer's battalion." They kept on playing after the formation of the battalion on 25 November but eventually, the military training caught up to them, sometimes having nocturnal marches the night before a league match—they finished second, 4 points behind Celtic.

Of those 16 that enlisted, 7 ended up perishing in the war. It's a connection that Hearts still hold strong.

(FWIW, I'm a casual Hearts supporter.)

6fQjS3M.png

Yeah, the kits are honoring the start of World War I—Hearts would've almost certainly won the 1914-15 title had 16 of the players not become the first of the so-called "footballer's battalion." They kept on playing after the formation of the battalion on 25 November but eventually, the military training caught up to them, sometimes having nocturnal marches the night before a league match—they finished second, 4 points behind Celtic.

Of those 16 that enlisted, 7 ended up perishing in the war. It's a connection that Hearts still hold strong.

(FWIW, I'm a casual Hearts supporter.)

I totally forgot about that Hearts and WWI connection. I remember my grandfather telling me that story when I was younger when I was first really getting interested in football. In my eyes, that centennial logo actually means something. Not like most of the spacial patches and logos that are are used by clubs nowadays. Well done to Hearts!

But, didn't they wear Adidas this season?

Yep, you're right - my mistake.

Reebok are owned by Adidas of course, and Bolton wore Reebok kits until a couple of years ago. But it looks like a complete switch to Macron. Bit of a shame, as Reebok were founded in Bolton so there was at least a local link there.

Puma sure does love its tribal patterns. Its unique when it's done for 1 or 2 teams, but when they do it for every single one from Africa it's just too much.

Yap, and here's Namibia. :P

namibia-new-kits-2014-2015.jpeg

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

Udinese. Yellow strikes again

udinese-hs-football-2014-15.jpg

yeesh, can manufacturers put yellow on a kit this year without it looking like a cycling jersey? Probably the hem stripes add to that case.

That said, it's not a bad look.

I like the retro Whitecaps kit, nice way to celebrate their 40th anniversary v San Jose. I wonder if those kits are available to purchase?

As for Bolton Wanderers kit switch and stadium renaming, that is a complete shame to loose that last local sponsorship to the club. I know football is about making money but unfortuantely it seems like they are selling themselves for a buck and loose their local soul.

Archived