2014 FIFA World Cup

DS729

No, the Group of Death is G.

What sways this in favour of Group B as "Group of Death" is the second placed team has to play Brazil in the second round. Only one team's really coming out of this group no matter what.

liverpool-1.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Portugal always falters in qualifying, it's nothing new... they have consistently performed in tournaments. Had to enter a playoff the last three qualifications, their pre-tournament games are not indicative of their tournament form. Portugal was a PK away from the finals two years ago against the eventual winners. Stopping Ronaldo is every team's gameplan, both internationally and on his club side, but it doesn't exactly work. He scores for fun in the Champions League, and singlehandedly brought Portugal out of that playoff.

He is a great player no doubt, but there are individual talents on that team that get pushed to the side as part of the supporting cast. Moutinho was the centre of a huge rebuild this summer, Nani has shown his talents when he is hot, Pepe and Alves are one of the most intimidating centre back pairings in the world. This team will be much better than that of two years ago...the emerging talent like Bruma, William, and Nelson Oliveira who is having a great start to the season at Rennes is much better than what was lost. Hugo Viana and Quaresma will not be missed.

For USA to advance, they should hope to tie Portugal and beat Ghana. Both are tall orders. Ghana is the best African team on paper, they have a borderline world class midfield.

Group B and D are the Groups of Death. One of Italy, England, Uruguay and Spain, Netherlands, Chile will not make the Ro16. That's a huge loss.

Group C will be the most interesting to watch.

I say the US advance. Ghana has knocked us out the last two WC's, but we've played them well and first. Portugal is just stopping Ronaldo, who carries them. No one knows the shape he'll be in with a deep Champions league run. The first two games are key to getting points. Germany is Germany, and the US players are stubborn enough to not care about reputation. In my opinion, this is the best team the US has ever had.

I agree, by far the best US team I've seen*, but still it's a tough group, but there's also 6 months to go, and honestly there's alot that can change. It's going to be a struggle, but USMNT aren't strangers to upsets, either.

On a side note, I'll be out of school by June 13th (when the first game kicks off) so I have a legit shot at being able to watch nearly all of the games. Last time around, our school didn't go out a week after the World Cup started, and I missed the epic US-Slovenia match (that's what I told it was).

*-Born in 1999.

So really we're comparing to just the 2010 World Cup team.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

To further screw England and the U.S. appease broadcasters and heighten the profile of the city, FIFA has decided to move the start times for all games in Manaus, from 9pm to 5-6pm local time, when temperatures are 85-90°F and humidity is at 80%.

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=9260267

Portugal always falters in qualifying, it's nothing new... they have consistently performed in tournaments.

Yup, I'd say recording one win—over North Korea—in 2010 is proof of a team that consistently performs in tournaments.

I've never been high on Portugal as a contender to ever win anything. That doesn't mean they're not a good team but I think we can beat both them and Ghana.

It's very doable to get out of this group. Tough? Yes. Of course, we have to rid ourselves of the curse in the first match of this group to have a chance.

See y'all at the pub in June.

6fQjS3M.png

Portugal always falters in qualifying, it's nothing new... they have consistently performed in tournaments.

Yup, I'd say recording one win—over North Korea—in 2010 is proof of a team that consistently performs in tournaments.

Oh please. The same exact record as the US, in a much tougher group.

Eh, for the same inexplicable reason as always, I'll be pulling for Ghana in group G. Belgium is my new #1 team (for reasons other than just that they're good now) and Denmark's sadly out. (Man, I'm really :censored: at choosing teams) Canada? NO, SHUT UP AND BE REASONABLE!!

But I wouldn't write off Ghana, they might be the best African side right now. After all, they did make the Quarter's last finals and they would have advanced if it wasn't for that :angered: Suarez. They could match up to the US and even Portugal if they play decently. Germany's could easily walk out of that group with 9 points though.

Group C though, wow, a selection of High Flyers, Talented Dark Horses, Exciting under-ranked young players, and Greece.

Anyway, predictions!:

Group A: Brazil, Cameroon

Group B: Spain, Netherlands

Group C: Japan, Cote D'ivoire

Group D: Uruguay, Italy

Group E: France, Switzerland

Group F: Argentina, Iran

Group G: Germany, Ghana

Group H: Belgium, Russia

So the picks are not in any order of 1st or 2nd seed, and I'm refraining to predict the knockout stages since literally anything can happen there. (At least for now)

Belgium was my pick for the "European team that looks really good but falls flat on their ass in their group" award. Only problem is Russia, Algeria, and South Korea are in their group. Russia's not bad, but I can't see them falling behind Algeria or South Korea.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Belgium was my pick for the "European team that looks really good but falls flat on their ass in their group" award. Only problem is Russia, Algeria, and South Korea are in their group. Russia's not bad, but I can't see them falling behind Algeria or South Korea.

Ooooh, can I get a list of your awards?

Oh please. The same exact record as the US, in a much tougher group.

But nobody's trying to defend the US as a title contender...

6fQjS3M.png

I agree, nobody is...

A draw against two of the best teams in the world at the time is not under-performing, that's performing as expected.

The fact is, the team took the champions at club and country of the better part of the last decade to PKs after a qualifying session that saw them enter through with a playoff with Bosnia.

Putting too much stake into the qualifying stages of a tournament is dangerous, the stage is MUCH different, and that is applied to everybody.

Netherlands had an almost perfect qualifying two years ago...

What the US needs to hope for is a hot Altidore and a back four that can work seamlessly together and play better than the sum of their parts, they don't lack quality in the midfield.

This post has more to do with the site of the World Cup than the actual competition. I was reading an ESPN the magazine article (which normally I cannot stand) about the riots and protests in Brazil. It got me thinking...why have the Cup in unstable countries? I'm not saying Brazil is terrible but I don't think it should host a World Cup ever. It makes me wonder about Qatar in the future too.

This post has more to do with the site of the World Cup than the actual competition. I was reading an ESPN the magazine article (which normally I cannot stand) about the riots and protests in Brazil. It got me thinking...why have the Cup in unstable countries? I'm not saying Brazil is terrible but I don't think it should host a World Cup ever. It makes me wonder about Qatar in the future too.

Especially when you have the US on the table. We won't have to be builing stadiums, and we should be able to sell tickets, isn't that as close to a slam dunk as you can get for a World Cup.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

• 4 months later...

In my point of view, Germany will win the 2014 FIFA World Cup. Though some big fights will be kicked off among Spain, Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Portugal and Netherlands. I know that a lot of people will say that Brazil have the super chance to win this fifa world cup, as this world cup is going to be hosted by Brazil itlself. Personally, I don't think this can make a big effect on Brazilian players.

Groups ranked from lowest sum of Soccer Power Index rankings among all four teams to highest sum among all four teams in group:

1. Group D: "The England/Italy/Uruguay Group of Death" (highest average Soccer Power Index among 4 teams, also has by far the lowest standard deviation of SPI)

2. Group B "The Depends-on-how-bad-each-team-beats-Australia Group"

3. Group G "The U.S. & Ghana vs. Portugal Group"
4. Group E "The Switzerland vs. Ecuador Group"

5. Group F "The Argentina and.... Group"

6. Group C "The 'Hopefully Ivory Coast Wins This' Group"

7. Group A "The Brazil Group"

8. Group H "The 'Belgium better :censored: beat Russia' Group"

- Belgium has really fallen in the SPI rankings since the last time I checked, they were definitely in the Top 5 last time, now #13.
- Ukraine is the top-rated team not playing in the World Cup; they are ranked #17 in SPI, Russia is ranked #18.

- Algeria is, by far, the worst team in the tournament at #69, the next worst is Australia at #41.
- Switzerland and France are in the same group (Group E, remember that odd method used in the Group Draw?)
- Costa Rica got shafted.

- Belgium has really fallen in the SPI rankings since the last time I checked, they were definitely in the Top 5 last time, now #13.

They may be one of the best teams on paper, but they're an inconsistent team at best.

Archived