Calgary Flames...guest starring a few of the new third's proposed logos

Discrim

As I figure most of us know, the Flames unveiled a new third jersey that...is so okay it's average. The sunset/mountains/wheat patch, I love. The odd looking 5, yeh it looks weird. The yoke looking like a stereotypical cowboy's shirt, it's alright. The script is decent, but looking at those rejected ideas Icethetics got a shot of, it seems like a missed opportunity. As Mills Lane would say though, let's get it on.

Main

flamesmain1.png

The simplified burning C caught my eye, and I wanted to see what it'd look like on a uniform. As I like their current number font, I thought it'd be a waste to not use it, though the red jersey uses gold numbers rather than black. I normally don't bother with helmets as far as hockey concepts go, even though I should, but I'm imagining red helmets here.

Third

flamesalt1.png

Sue me, I liked the boot. Granted, the CALGARY is admittedly a bit messy, but the boot was simple enough to trace. Figured to differentiate this from the main reds, there'd be no black outlining, different pants shell, and obviously different striping. The horseshoe number was the final touch I'd wanted to add, but then came the problem of striping. Some of you may recall how I occasionally bitch about one of my older concepts, a Drummondville Voltigeurs set whose third jersey was said to look like "every other hockey jersey ever," as that was not a compliment, to put it mildly. The striping I went with is based on what I'd used for the Voltigeurs home/away, except the inner stripes on that version were vertical, here they're at a slight angle, somewhat mimicking the "podium stripe" of the late Fleury era.

I'm thinking of making at least one more set here, though other than intending to use the regular C if I do so, I make no promises.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Here goes set #2 with the normal C

flamesmain2.png

Yeh, somewhat Flyerish, but it simply popped in my head, this one.

The third...a bit of a quandry. The cowboy hat looks best in white...and in hindsight, maybe a red/white look with hints of gold would've worked better. Oh well...here it is anyway.

flamesalt2.png

2016cubscreamsig.png

It's always good to see your concepts, Discrim! I really prefer the first set to the second. The traditional striping works better with the simplified C. The Flyers/Kings template combined with the modern C just feels too cut and paste for my liking. That's not meant as an insult or a jab; I love your work, but I'm not feeling that set.

Now... As for the thirds, the first one with the boot is excellent! Maybe just a little too much going on. Perhaps cutting the C from the shoulders would give it a little better flow? The Cowboy hat third is clever! Again, maybe a bit much going on, but the only critique I would make would be to suggest a white outline around the crest, maybe even the numbers. Still not sure...

And I never noticed this before, but not only is the crest a cowboy hat, with the tail of the C forming the brim, but it also looks like the Saddledome profile! Brilliant!

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

Can't really accept your thanks as far as the logos Fry, I merely traced em...the simple C, the boot and the hat were all among various logos the Flames rejected while creating their new thirds, a decent pic of a good number of em being posted on Icethetics. Among the ones I traced from that pic that I haven't used yet are a few CFs and some Calgary scripts that had a flaming C, another Calgary script that resembles the Angels lettering, that one I wanna sharpen up before I even think about using. That wasn't even all of em. Just trying to head off being either further misthanked or worse, some idiot bashing me for claiming the rejected Flames work as my own when I never said I was.

Far as the opinion, yeah, admittedly main set #2 wasn't exactly a masterpiece, though that said, it's not exactly something one would be ashamed of wearing 40 or so times a year. And I hadn't noticed either, the Saddledome connection, but now I'm glad I can't unsee it. :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

If I post anymore of these, it'll probably only be thirds. Anyway, here goes main set #3

flamesmain3.png

Deciced to go with white numbers this time out, as well as red pants. And as you can see, I took the mountains and wheat from the alt logo and turned it into striping.

And third jersey #3

flamesalt3.png

Another one from the Calgary third's reject pile...there were various CF monograms, including one that might look more at home on an Australian footy guernsey...anyway, the horseshoe version, I felt would make a nice crest...but it'd be too easy to slap it on a Canadiens ripoff. Since you don't even see it often in its native arena, I figured the Ajax stripe was worth looking into. Sleeve stripes of various widths complete the third.

2016cubscreamsig.png

• 3 weeks later...

Here goes set #2 with the normal C

flamesmain2.png

Yeh, somewhat Flyerish, but it simply popped in my head, this one.

The third...a bit of a quandry. The cowboy hat looks best in white...and in hindsight, maybe a red/white look with hints of gold would've worked better. Oh well...here it is anyway.

flamesalt2.png

Great third jersey.

Taking a look at the first set - remember, an upside down horse shoe is actually bad luck...

You've taken one set and made amazing changes to create the others. Well done. Set #2 with the normal C is awesome and would be in stores tomorrow if it was up to me.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived