College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

This game looked better than last night's:

Jake+Ballard+Rose+Bowl+Ohio+State+v+Oreg

Black #s looks horrible and Oregon was just a bland, yet chaotic mess.

35F9B239-82D7-4A55-9F2D-38B5D3767C93_cx0

BN-GK203_PLAYOF_P_20150113001144.jpg

I didn't get to see the game last night but holy heck man...shades of Super Bowl XXXVII going on there.

Oakland vs Tampa Bay for those not wanting to look it up...

p-163439-mike-alstott-autographed-tampa-

_39597043_gannon350.jpg

superbowl_37.jpg

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After tonight, I say never again should Oregon not wear a trace of school colors. The uniforms mirrored how they played: dull, flat, and not how they looked all year long. They are now 0-3 in the past 2 seasons when they've not worn a single ounce school color (Arizona last year and Arizona and Ohio State this year.) Nike and Oregon really overthought this game again in choosing their uniform choice and trying to appeal to a "cool" color scheme in order to attract recruits. I'd rather them win or lose in at least one school color than look like some generic team that's forgotten its past.

I'm not trying to troll, so I'm going to try and word this respectfully. But, do you, or anyone else, really think the reason Oregon lost is because they don't wear school colors? At the very least, does anyone think that it, even in the smallest amount, affect their play at all? To me, I've always abided by the "Look Good, Feel Good, Play Good" mantra. Oregon looked damn good last night, regardless of colors.

They looked boring. Like the Oakland Raiders, only minus the charm and history and makes the Raiders' uniforms good.

As for the effect the uniforms had? Obviously they had none, but you're on the wrong forum if you're getting upset about people focusing on the uniforms.

Really, though, it's not about anyone saying "Oregon would have won had they worn green and gold." No, it's about the fact that Oregon has twice now worn uniforms devoid of school colours in National Championship games and has come up short both times. For those of us who find their unwarranted sense of self-importance (see those "Traditions Don't Change, Champions Do" banners) and over-thought sense of branding annoying? It's satisfying to see that their attempts at "sticking it to tradition" haven't been rewarded.

The Ducks epitomized the argument that Woody Harrelson's character floated in White Men Can't Jump:

"A white man wants to win first, look good second. A black man wants to look good first, win second."

Racial overtones aren't the point obviously, but Oregon is so worried about their fashion statement they forgot to show up.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Also, I think some of you other guys are now understanding the banality of living in Eugene and NOT drinking the Ducks' volt-colored koolaid.

Cue my annual debate with co-workers about how despite Oregon's loss, they still have national titles (they don't) and have historical relevance on par with teams like Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma and other top ten all time winners (they don't).

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Also, I think some of you other guys are now understanding the banality of living in Eugene and NOT drinking the Ducks' volt-colored koolaid.

Cue my annual debate with co-workers about how despite Oregon's loss, they still have national titles (they don't) and have historical relevance on par with teams like Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma and other top ten all time winners (they don't).

What would you expect from a town that's in the center of Duck territory? People in areas that lean heavily to one side will always have a certain color to their views. I'm sure in Lincoln, you'd get some pretty biased, uneducated fans as well when comparing Nebraska to other programs. Just because Oregon doesn't have the history or tradition of other programs, it doesn't mean they (and in turn, their fans) need to be denigrated for trying to better themselves by doing unorthodox things to overcome obstacles they face.

What would you expect from a town that's in the center of Duck territory? People in areas that lean heavily to one side will always have a certain color to their views. I'm sure in Lincoln, you'd get some pretty biased, uneducated fans as well when comparing Nebraska to other programs. Just because Oregon doesn't have the history or tradition of other programs, it doesn't mean they (and in turn, their fans) need to be denigrated for trying to better themselves by doing unorthodox things to overcome obstacles they face.

Smugness without titles = Delusion

It's pretty funny, because I have had to deal with the exact same crap all the way across the country in Maine since high school. Chip Kelly's is from one town over (Dover, NH) and is best friends with my high school's basketball coach, so everyone there was drinking the same exact kool-aid. It killed me how many people there acted like Oregon was a team on par historically with the greats without having ever watched an Oregon game before Kelly and the newest uniforms showed up. (hell, I bet half of them hadn't even watched a college football game before... Nobody watches it up in New England).

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

I hear the "doing unorthodox things" defence for the wacky uniforms all the time. That they need to, in order to get recruits to consider the program.

First off, that's no longer the case. It was at one point but Oregon has made a name for themselves. They don't need weird uniforms to get highly touted prospects to consider them.

Secondly, but related to the first point, is that the uniform thing has ALWAYS been overblown. Maryland has wacky uniforms too. Yet they still suck. Oregon is going to get its share of prospects because they just made it to the National Championship game. Not because they have wacky uniform combinations. That's why they've elevated their program while Maryland hasn't. The latter just has the weird uniforms. The former has those, but also built things up the right way. Which meant way more then a cool jersey with chromed wings ever could.

Oregon looked dull, slow, awful, boring and uninspired. And oh, that's how they played too.

I'm still slightly amazed at their arrogance to come into this game wearing non school colors, and unis that were similar to tOSU.

LOL, da hell do you think you are, Oregon??! I said before, you have dozens of uni combo's to chose from, and that is what you came up with??!

MUhahahaahahahaahahahaahahhaa.

I hear the "doing unorthodox things" defence for the wacky uniforms all the time. That they need to, in order to get recruits to consider the program.

First off, that's no longer the case. It was at one point but Oregon has made a name for themselves. They don't need weird uniforms to get highly touted prospects to consider them.

Secondly, but related to the first point, is that the uniform thing has ALWAYS been overblown. Maryland has wacky uniforms too. Yet they still suck. Oregon is going to get its share of prospects because they just made it to the National Championship game. Not because they have wacky uniform combinations. That's why they've elevated their program while Maryland hasn't. The latter just has the weird uniforms. The former has those, but also built things up the right way. Which meant way more then a cool jersey with chromed wings ever could.

I still feel Oregon has to continue doing things like they have because for all their success and winning, they still have some problems when it comes to recruiting. In the last decade, Oregon's top-rated recruiting class was only #13. Nearly every other year was between 15 and 20. For all of their success, they've had to consistently overachieve to compete with those at the top of the polls and recruiting landscape. Oregon has to fight hard to maintain its foothold in the CA recruiting hotbed since the state of Oregon produces so few D1 talent. To overcome Oregon not having proximity, good weather, or a major metro area to sell to CA recruits on, the uniforms are one thing they can use to help differentiate themselves. I'd rather Oregon continue pushing the boundaries of uniforms since them becoming super conservative in that area would take away a positive, not a negative, aspect of their program. They have the solid backing of Nike and its founder so it'd be dumb to shut off that pipeline just so they fit in with more serious, traditional schools.

Oregon looked dull, slow, awful, boring and uninspired. And oh, that's how they played too.

I'm still slightly amazed at their arrogance to come into this game wearing non school colors, and unis that were similar to tOSU.

LOL, da hell do you think you are, Oregon??! I said before, you have dozens of uni combo's to chose from, and that is what you came up with??!

Is it too late to dub these uniforms the "white flag" set? Oregon surrendered the national title.

I don't think this was arrogance and I don't think there was any intent to look like OSU.

This was just Oregon being Oregon (or Oregon being Nikegon) for better or worse. We here are obviously split on it.

And as much as I do not like Oregon being Nikegon, I don't look at it in nearly this bad of a light. I don't see any arrogance or any slight to OSU or anyone else. And I personally think this uniforms sucked. It looked like a shout-out to that one household that still watches a black-and-white TV; now the uniforms look the same to all viewers! I did not like them overall and either way I hate that they don't use school colors (and feel Oregon can still be what they are with school colors). But this was no different than all the other times they eschewed school colors. Arrogant? No. Willing to be Nike's billboard? Absolutely.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Off topic here, but how do the natives pronounce Oregon? Or-a-gin, with a hard "g" and not like the drink? This might be one of my insane quirks, but I pronounce the state Or-a-gon, but always pronounce the school Ore-a-gin, because that's how people refer to it.

Likewise, it seems like most people say "New Or-leens," but nobody says "New Or-leens Saints." They say "New Or-lins Saints."

OldRomanSig2.jpg

orygun_tshirt.jpg?height=250&width=250&p

This is probably the easiest way to remember the way locals pronounce it. Being a non-native Oregon resident, I tend to pronounce it like you have both raw metal (ore) and a weapon (gun). Ore-uh-Gun.

UyDgMWP.jpg

Archived