College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

This actually isn't a bad look imo.

833331.jpg

Those have always been my favorites.

The black Pro Combat unis were/are a thing of beauty as well.

Dude I usually don't like bfbs but those were so awesome.

weren't they universally loathed when they came out, almost as bad as the maryland pride uniforms

Idk, maybe. But I loved them. The graphics were awesome. I thought the circuit board gradient was genius and beautiful.

I actually liked the Maryland pride uniforms and think they are the best set marylands worn since.

I think they were pretty awesome as well.

icon_15443333-675x380.jpg

They were genius, IMO. Loved the numbers and stripes too.

spacer.png

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I'm the only person who HATES the BFBS trashes Tech wore a few years ago.

First thing, BFBS is a terrible idea for a team like Virginia Tech. We have such an unique color scheme that doesn't need to be ruined by a basic, bland color like Black. Also, it doesn't even go along with the maroon and orange we have, look at the uniform, see how little maroon there is? It's because it looks god awful ugly next to the black. They practically minimized the maroon on these, so now we look like a black and orange team, kind of like an Oklahoma State, which completely takes away the unique color scheme that Tech has.

Secondly, what the hell is it with the whole circuit-board thingy in every stripe? This may be a bit more personal, but again it still looks like crap. It's even on the numbers for christ's sake! If they used it that much, they should make a whole uniform themed out of it. I wouldn't mind it a lot less if they hadn't included the design in every available stripe possible. It doesn't look good, so why would you use it as much as possible without dying the whole uniform that color? IMO, this is on par with what Texas A&M (nearly) did with the Zubaz/Carmoflauge design. Yep, it's that bad. I hate these uniforms with a passion.

Thirdly, this is more of a rant on Nike Pro Combat, but the premise of the Pro Combat is complete and utter crap. Cool, I'm a little bit lighter than everyone else and I have a black uniform with a nasty design in every stripe on me! Yeah! Nike Pro Combat may make you lighter, but it doesn't make you that much faster. The factor it gives off is so little you can't think it would even matter. There's also no point in designing uniforms and trying this hard if they're only going to wear it once. While some look good (White VT, Pitt, Oregon State) others have completely fallen on their ass. (LSU, Ohio State, West Virginia). I hope they stop making these and hype up their new templates, I don't care if you released a new template that looks ugly as hell and make 0.00000000000000000000000000001x faster.

TL:DR I hate the uniforms because they're black and therefore ruin the color scheme, and have that weird circuit broad thingy everywhere.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

I guess I'm the only person who HATES the BFBS trashes Tech wore a few years ago.

You're not.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

To get back on topic, I'm sure most know that there was the rumor Ohio State was getting new uniforms. With how much the "rivalry" set has been implemented in 2013, there might be a set based on it in 2014.

I really hope they don't change. They currently have one of the best looks in all of college football and switching to those bastardizations of their look would likely be the biggest uniform downgrade in history. Besides, if they really were planning on changing, they would have changed this year as they were switching to the Pro Combat/Speed Machine/Elite 51/whatever the hell you want to call it.

I would love to see Virginia Tech bring back this look. I don't really care for their current set.

.38933_NC_State_Virginia_Tech_Football.jp

Agreed. That was their best look by far. VT should be a "modern" program, honestly, since most of their success and relevance has come from the late '90s on.

I still don't get the point of throwing back to a uniform set that wasn't memorable or iconic to the program, simply because Beamer wore it in his playing days. If VT had to have a "retro" look, the Michael Vick-era uniforms were classic enough while still being recognizable. Those looked better too.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I would love to see Virginia Tech bring back this look. I don't really care for their current set.

Agreed. That was their best look by far. VT should be a "modern" program, honestly, since most of their success and relevance has come from the late '90s on.

I still don't get the point of throwing back to a uniform set that wasn't memorable or iconic to the program, simply because Beamer wore it in his playing days. If VT had to have a "retro" look, the Michael Vick-era uniforms were classic enough while still being recognizable. Those looked better too.

Like everything except the numeral font. From my perspective, too many of the new style numeral fonts are poorly crafted and undesigned.

I like the traditional look for VT simply because they have such a unique color scheme and can pull it off. I'd much save the modern looks for teams with more common colors (like red/crimson and white, like everyone and their brother seems to use) which actually need crazy templates to stand out.

Yeah but Lights, that theory is great and all, but what if the uniforms a team had great success in absolutely sucked. For example what if the Islanders did well in the Fishstick jerseys? Do you throwback to those? No. I didn't like the Vick era uniforms because there was no character to them, they were glorified practice jerseys. The VT uniforms with UCLA stripes and stripes on the pants are so much better as they show off the unique colors of VT. But I would take the Vick era uniforms over the gimmicky crap they have been doing recently.

I'm a little disappointed that Arky is already ditching their set. I thought the tweaks they made this year (ditching the gradient numbers, red hog on white helmet, etc.) made it a very solid set.

I actually agree with this. I wasn't a fan of them last year but I really liked them this year after the changes. It was something unique from the rest of the SEC. I know the new uniforms will look good because they will be conservative but we'll also look similar to over half of the rest of the league with minimalist looks. Not a bad thing obviously but still kind of boring.

I agree with everything here. Arkansas' traditional look is too much like Alabama's. That might have been okay in the SWC days, but I think what they have now is perfect... no reason to get rid of it.

I finally upgraded my Miami unis...now they go out and get new ones. Prediction...Orange/White, White/White as the main combo. Orange/Orange and White/Orange as the alts...with some stupid gray jersey available too. Smoke helmet becomes the norm...Hope I'm wrong. Hope they don't go single color numbers like the baseball/basketball teams. Should have Ray Lewis Era unis, current font, current helmet, Orange/Green/White jerseys and pants and actually wear the green stuff again.

KISSwall09.jpg

Man, just heard Brent Musberger say that the College Football Playoff National Champ will get a new trophy. Can't believe they are retiring the crystal ball.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

I wouldn't mind seeing the ball stay but get more creative with the place where it sits. The big black rectangular box has always been kinda crappy to me esp when it holds a crystal football! How bout rose bowl and mls mixed together with the crystal ball in the middle? Maybe they can have a pillow of crystal Benjamins that the ball rests on

Archived