College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

I saw this tonight on our 247 board. They were shooting our stadium intro video today so it was the first time that the players got to wear the new jerseys. I have to say that they look better than I thought they would. Really my only complaint is that it says Razorbacks across the front rather than Arkansas

2991371.png

There's just something about that "Razorbacks" on front that look awfully off. Almost like there's way too much going on in that part of the jersey.

RAZORBACKS is two letters longer than ARKANSAS, which means smaller font, more crowded kerning, etc., to fit in the same space.

Also, there's some instant mental recognition on the word ARKANSAS because the first A stands out by being an "angled" letter (A, K, V, etc) instead of a "mostly straight, but round" letter (B, D, R, etc).

At a distance, Arkansas is just a less visually-straining word to read.

This is the first I've ever heard that angled letters provide for a less visually straining read. I'm at a loss for words (rounded AND angled).

Then you've never taken a course in typography. This sort of stuff is discussed endlessly.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw this tonight on our 247 board. They were shooting our stadium intro video today so it was the first time that the players got to wear the new jerseys. I have to say that they look better than I thought they would. Really my only complaint is that it says Razorbacks across the front rather than Arkansas

2991371.png

There's just something about that "Razorbacks" on front that look awfully off. Almost like there's way too much going on in that part of the jersey.

RAZORBACKS is two letters longer than ARKANSAS, which means smaller font, more crowded kerning, etc., to fit in the same space.

Also, there's some instant mental recognition on the word ARKANSAS because the first A stands out by being an "angled" letter (A, K, V, etc) instead of a "mostly straight, but round" letter (B, D, R, etc).

At a distance, Arkansas is just a less visually-straining word to read.

This is the first I've ever heard that angled letters provide for a less visually straining read. I'm at a loss for words (rounded AND angled).

Then you've never taken a course in typography. This sort of stuff is discussed endlessly.

In design terms, it's sort of like negative space.

Imagine each letter lives in it's own box, much like how an old style printing press had blocks for each letter. Letters like A have a good balance of negative space, which makes it more "readable." A letter like B has less negative space, making it slightly harder to decipher.

Of course, font choice plays a huge role in this as well. Serif fonts like Times New Roman tend to be more legible at a distance than something like Impact, for example.

Posting the image.

BtzEK6LCMAAqfLA.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

New alternate for Air Force!

Bt5C1EsCYAAI3uS.jpg

I'd need to get a closer look to fully judge the execution of it, but I kinda like that Air Force helmet so far. I get a "clear blue sky" vibe from the gradient, and given that they're Air Force, it's somewhat fitting.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Bt4ci4aIIAEDawL.png

My favorite new look

Looks like Florida A&M, not Miami!

it seems like a lot of these new uniforms would be good if they weren't attached to name brand schools. That Miami look would be top 10 if it wasn't for the history and tradition of Miami and their classic white helmet/uniforms

there are four ibis logos visible in this still shot

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

New alternate for Air Force!

Bt5C1EsCYAAI3uS.jpg

I'd need to get a closer look to fully judge the execution of it, but I kinda like that Air Force helmet so far. I get a "clear blue sky" vibe from the gradient, and given that they're Air Force, it's somewhat fitting.

I really like it. It looks real good and clean.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Bt4ci4aIIAEDawL.png

My favorite new look

Looks like Florida A&M, not Miami!

it seems like a lot of these new uniforms would be good if they weren't attached to name brand schools. That Miami look would be top 10 if it wasn't for the history and tradition of Miami and their classic white helmet/uniforms

there are four ibis logos visible in this still shot

I don't want to live in a world where these would be a top 10 look

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

I know I said it last year but I'll say it again...good fashion in college football is dead. Miami looks like a train wreck and Air Force is now trying to get in on it too??

I fail to see how Miami looks like a trainwreck. If anything, the look they just replaced was the real trainwreck.

VuGdNdU.jpg

I can't decide whether the random blobs looked worse on the front or the back. And that pants stripe was just brutal.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I... Like that green Miami combo. It's not replacing the white helmet, and while a bit over the top with the graphics, it's tastefully done, IMO. I don't know why, it kinda works for me. The grey isn't as good, though.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

I... Like that green Miami combo. It's not replacing the white helmet, and while a bit over the top with the graphics, it's tastefully done, IMO. I don't know why, it kinda works for me. The grey isn't as good, though.

I agree. I like most of their new unis except for the gray ones.

I know I said it last year but I'll say it again...good fashion in college football is dead. Miami looks like a train wreck and Air Force is now trying to get in on it too??

I fail to see how Miami looks like a trainwreck. If anything, the look they just replaced was the real trainwreck.

VuGdNdU.jpg

I can't decide whether the random blobs looked worse on the front or the back. And that pants stripe was just brutal.

The green helmet that looks like a watermelon ruins the rest of this year's look. I'm sure the new uniform will look great with the white helmet.

Archived