College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man Utah has been on point all season with their uniforms. I find myself watching their games each week now because they look solid. This game versus USC tonight is just a great matchup of traditional vs modern.

A bit homerish, I know, but I wholeheartedly agree. Teams doing the modern thing should look to Utah (and my alma mater Utah State, to a lesser extent) to how to do it right: Keeping the modern aspects/patterns of the uniform (Utah's mountains, Utah State's checkerboard-ish pattern and gradient*) limited to the sides (sleeves, numbers) or otherwise subtle (as on Utah State's helmet). Hell, Utah only seems to wear their black uniforms once a year instead of keeping it in the permanent rotation (I'm looking at you, Oregon, Boise State, Arizona State, ...), and you rarely see the black helmets outside of the blackout as well. The Utes and Aggies have also minimized the use of chrome, keeping it limited to one-off decals, so far.** I think the key to a good modern, nay any, uniform is restraint, and both schools have shown a quite a bit of it.

*It does help here that Utah State's gray is a lighter shade.

**Admittedly, I don't think we've seen the last of this year's Utah's black helmets, while Utah State may use the chrome "U State" logo decals if they clinch a bowl berth this year.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Surprised nobody mentioned Ohio State in the chrome helmet and all white but then I remembered nobody cares about the Big 10

That was one of the first things I noticed when I saw the Buckeyes out there. Didn't think they'd break those out again.

Oklahoma State's helmets today will have the old Oklahoma A&M logo on it.

B0z1v1ACEAAg8Nn.jpg

B0z21d8CEAADE-U.jpg

Did Wyoming change their colors? LOL. It's too similar to Wyoming's helmet logo. I'm also shocked Oklahoma St. finally figured out how to reverse a logo so that it's facing forward on both sides of the helmet. For some reason they still haven't figured out how to do this with their cowboy head logo.

Surprised nobody mentioned Ohio State in the chrome helmet and all white but then I remembered nobody cares about the Big 10

That was one of the first things I noticed when I saw the Buckeyes out there. Didn't think they'd break those out again.
I figured they'd be brought out for the Michigan State game. I also noticed Penn State covered the red Riddell back bumper with Ridell in blue but much smaller. Why couldn't they just order the bumpers in blue?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Arizona State in yellow/white/maroon looks really good - just a solid look. Washington needs to ditch the chrome helmets.

I agree. I tried to be open to the "new" UW look but they need to ditch it. They are a historic program that shouldn't try and be Oregon. Only Oregon is Oregon and trying to copy them is simply sad for UW. Go back to the solid, traditional uniform and hopefully the play on the field will eventually follow. You aren't new and fancy, hip. You are old traditional, like Alabama, Notre Dame, USC. Embrace that. Please.

apple_cup_1991.jpg

B0z1v1ACEAAg8Nn.jpg

B0z21d8CEAADE-U.jpg

Did Wyoming change their colors? LOL. It's too similar to Wyoming's helmet logo. I'm also shocked Oklahoma St. finally figured out how to reverse a logo so that it's facing forward on both sides of the helmet. For some reason they still haven't figured out how to do this with their cowboy head logo.

It's funny with the Okie State - New Mexico State lawsuit over similar logos that OSU would change to another logo that's similar to another school...

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

B0z1v1ACEAAg8Nn.jpg

B0z21d8CEAADE-U.jpg

It's funny with the Okie State - New Mexico State lawsuit over similar logos that OSU would change to another logo that's similar to another school...

I thought this looked a lot like Wyoming in orange

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

I didn't like the idea of Illinois wearing gray when it leaked in the summer, but it was worse yesterday than I was expecting. Depending on the TV, the gray looked too light to be worn against white. Wearing white helmets with all gray is always a bad idea. If they weren't going to buy gray helmets, they should have switched the decals on the blue helmets instead. It also looked half-assed since they kept the helmet stickers on the back which were orange and blue while only have gray decals and stripes on the helmet otherwise. The worst part of this is still the fact that they decided to wear one-off gray uniforms and won't have navy jerseys until next year. I'm still a big fan of the rebrand last spring, but going with gray football and basketball uniforms was a big mistake.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived