All Purpose Stadium Thread

kw11333

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soccer being played at PETCO Park in San Diego initially before they brought the RF fences in for 2013.

PP-Overhead5.jpg

And now after the fences were brought in for 2013. This was the most recent soccer friendly at PETCO featuring the Club Tijuana Xolos of the Mexican first division (and the San Diego area's de-facto soccer team).

BOigSNHCYAA0uuS.jpg

The older configuration was actually passable. The new one was terrible with no good seats anywhere in the house. What's unclear is if the old configuration was no longer possible (which seems unlikely since the field had room to spare) or if the Padres merely requested the new configuration because it didn't disrupt the pitchers mound (which was a real complaint after a friendly in 2010 during the Padres playoff push in Sept of that year fouled up the mound and caused no end of griping among the Pads pitchers).

With regards to the soccer pictures: were the dimensions (width, chiefly) of the playing surface reduced at all to better fit better at any venue? An eyeball test is tough due to lack of markings but some get pretty close to the retaining walls and I'm sure shaving off a few feet on the sides would be negligible.

Louisville Cardinal football and the AAA Louisville Redbirds(Bats) used to share Cardinal Stadium at the Kentucky Expo Center. The fairboard has just let it rot the last 15 years.

ff9ce32b6e9c0f1a40dd1eadd310f67709f5d9bf

b1fcca77f4944dfddc75d8bc35fd870da51da89b

dd21bd1fe61e307479090e2f6bfe0cb83e57ac50

Made some good memories in that old place, especially during the year the Redbirds set the all-time MiLB attendance record in 1982 and again in 1983. If Charlie Finley had gotten his way in 1964, the A's would have played in this stadium instead of moving to Oakland. The other owners vetoed the move. It's interesting to speculate how Louisville's future might have turned out had the A's existed in the city the past 50 years.

The stadium was condemned earlier this year and people are not even allowed inside or beneath it. It will be torn down and I assume that will happen sooner than later.

With regards to the soccer pictures: were the dimensions (width, chiefly) of the playing surface reduced at all to better fit better at any venue? An eyeball test is tough due to lack of markings but some get pretty close to the retaining walls and I'm sure shaving off a few feet on the sides would be negligible.

The more recent PETCO Park soccer game was played on a ridiculously narrow and short field as I recall. Not sure of the exact dimensions but they were at or below the FIFA mandated minimums for field size. The older layout was regulation as were both Oakland Coliseum layouts I posted earlier.

Louisville Cardinal football and the AAA Louisville Redbirds(Bats) used to share Cardinal Stadium at the Kentucky Expo Center. The fairboard has just let it rot the last 15 years.

ff9ce32b6e9c0f1a40dd1eadd310f67709f5d9bf

b1fcca77f4944dfddc75d8bc35fd870da51da89b

dd21bd1fe61e307479090e2f6bfe0cb83e57ac50

Made some good memories in that old place, especially during the year the Redbirds set the all-time MiLB attendance record in 1982 and again in 1983. If Charlie Finley had gotten his way in 1964, the A's would have played in this stadium instead of moving to Oakland. The other owners vetoed the move. It's interesting to speculate how Louisville's future might have turned out had the A's existed in the city the past 50 years.

The stadium was condemned earlier this year and people are not even allowed inside or beneath it. It will be torn down and I assume that will happen sooner than later.

Glad the A's avoided that fate. The Coliseum is by no means good, but compared to that it looks like a veritable palace.

Love looking at some of these pictures. Especially the soccer ones. The AT&T stadium picture for football is downright incredible looking.

I saw somebody posted a picture of Tropicana field's bowl game for football from last year. I went to the game this year (Ohio Vs East Carolina) and thought the setup was very well done. Let me see if I can find some pictures online.

Here's Raley Field in Sacramento home of the A's AAA team the RiverCats hosting the defunct Sacramento Mountain Lions of the UFL

A3xfP0-CUAAqimV.jpg

Here's the same ballpark hosting an MLS soccer exhibition featuring the San Jose Earthquakes. Sac has a new soccer team starting play in 2014 in the MLS feeder USL. Luckily the Sac Republic have chosen to build their own Soccer Specific Stadium saving both teams from this...

101_1268-751046.JPG

Milwaukee County Stadium

2610781801_0d1dcb09bc_o_d.jpg

IIRC, this is the Packers-Jets game from 1973, the first time the Packers ever hosted a Monday Night home game; and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was on the Packers sideline. Lambeau Field wouldn't get MNF until 1979.

Archived