All Purpose Stadium Thread

kw11333

I still don't understand why both benches have to be on the same sideline at AT&T. It seems like there's plenty of room on the sideline closest to third base for a team

I still don't understand why both benches have to be on the same sideline at AT&T. It seems like there's plenty of room on the sideline closest to third base for a team area.

I think it's simply for the benefit of the fans sitting in the seats on the third-base side. They would likely not be able to sell some of the first few rows.

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it was already mentioned, but here's a panorama I took at the Pinstripe Bowl on Saturday...shame Rutgers lost.

TeCUUSU.jpg

It was packed (pictures from half time so it doesn't really do it justice) and the seats I had, which were probably as far from the field as you can get, were actually quite good. They released extra tickets on Christmas Eve for the sections that they reserve to push the snow into in case it snows and still sold out. It was the highest attended Pinstripe Bowl yet.

That said, they still haven't added extra seats for a football game since the 2010 Notre Dame-Army game.

I have more pictures, including some from the 2011 Rutgers-Army game and the 2011 Pinstripe Bowl between Rutgers and Iowa State which I was on the field for if people are interested.

Anubis.png

Old Mile High Stadium was used for a few different sports. It was originally built for the Denver Bears baseball team.

1954DenverBears_POW.jpg

And then when the Broncos started, it was renovated to accommodate them better.

mileold.jpg

mile_high.jpg?sfvrsn=0And the Rockies played there for two years while Coors Field was being built.

mile-high-baseball.jpg?sfvrsn=0

Old Mile High and Sports Authority Field housed the Rapids for a few years before their stadium was built, and Sports Authority Field currently houses the Denver Outlaws LaCrosse team.

jNTsTyQ.png

Monster Jam @ Metrodome

Race of Champions @ Wembley Stadium

Wembley_Stadium_Race_of_Champions_-_geog

I'd like to see the time-lapse transformation to that, then back to the pitch. That's a pretty remarkable change.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Monster Jam @ Metrodome

Race of Champions @ Wembley Stadium

Wembley_Stadium_Race_of_Champions_-_geog

I'd like to see the time-lapse transformation to that, then back to the pitch. That's a pretty remarkable change.

Here's the best one I could find. Doesn't show the overhead camera the whole time which is unfortunate, but still pretty cool.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1610679505?bclid=1497977641&bctid=1342094140

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

memorialbalt1.jpg

Memorial Stadium -- not the best quality, but it gives an idea of the baseball and football layouts.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I still don't understand why both benches have to be on the same sideline at AT&T. It seems like there's plenty of room on the sideline closest to third base for a team

I still don't understand why both benches have to be on the same sideline at AT&T. It seems like there's plenty of room on the sideline closest to third base for a team area.

I think it's simply for the benefit of the fans sitting in the seats on the third-base side. They would likely not be able to sell some of the first few rows.

They wouldn't have been able to sell over half the lower deck if they hadn't gone with that double bench arrangement. AT&T Park is fairly shallow even for a ballpark. As it was if you were down far enough you were still looking through or around support personnel.

I really like the idea of using stadiums/arenas for multiple sports when it is done correctly. BC Place is a good example. The stadium was recently renovated primarily to house Canadian football and soccer. When football is being played, it looks like this:

910c97e94f27a51414dfc0b244e4.jpg

But when the shorter soccer pitch is used, it looks like this:

6956487680_af7995384c_o.jpg

Seats are added on all sides to make for a better atmosphere, and the top tier of seats are hidden by large tarps. Interestingly, when Canada's womens national team played Mexico there not too long ago, they didnt add the extra seats of the soccer setup.

How about baseball too?

baseballclassic1.jpg

Doubt this is still possible after the big 500 million dollar renovation but when she still had her baggy roof BC Place could and did host baseball exhibitions. She was even used as a threat stadium for teams looking for new ballparks. Though obviously the layout was less than ideal down the first base line.

Buffalo Bills setup at Rogers Centre.

toronto-story.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Busch:523e2aa822c30.preview-620.jpg

also, could've sworn that the astros played at a football stadium this year

who was playing at Busch? High School game?
I think it was Southeast Missouri St. & Southern Illinois.

I'm surprised they didn't have a better matchup. At least one involving Missouri and/or Illinois... SE Missouri and Southern Illinois? Why even play that game at Busch?

90758391980.gif

Busch:523e2aa822c30.preview-620.jpg

also, could've sworn that the astros played at a football stadium this year

who was playing at Busch? High School game?
I think it was Southeast Missouri St. & Southern Illinois.

I'm surprised they didn't have a better matchup. At least one involving Missouri and/or Illinois... SE Missouri and Southern Illinois? Why even play that game at Busch?

That's not exactly a terrible crowd for those two teams however.

Archived