All Purpose Stadium Thread

kw11333

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like the idea of using stadiums/arenas for multiple sports when it is done correctly. BC Place is a good example. The stadium was recently renovated primarily to house Canadian football and soccer. When football is being played, it looks like this:

910c97e94f27a51414dfc0b244e4.jpg

But when the shorter soccer pitch is used, it looks like this:

6956487680_af7995384c_o.jpg

Seats are added on all sides to make for a better atmosphere, and the top tier of seats are hidden by large tarps. Interestingly, when Canada's womens national team played Mexico there not too long ago, they didnt add the extra seats of the soccer setup.

How about baseball too?

baseballclassic1.jpg

Doubt this is still possible after the big 500 million dollar renovation but when she still had her baggy roof BC Place could and did host baseball exhibitions. She was even used as a threat stadium for teams looking for new ballparks. Though obviously the layout was less than ideal down the first base line.

\Since the scoreboard can be raised, it is possible. They've asked MLB for a ruling and have yet to receive one.

Anubis.png

I really like the idea of using stadiums/arenas for multiple sports when it is done correctly. BC Place is a good example. The stadium was recently renovated primarily to house Canadian football and soccer. When football is being played, it looks like this:

910c97e94f27a51414dfc0b244e4.jpg

But when the shorter soccer pitch is used, it looks like this:

6956487680_af7995384c_o.jpg

Seats are added on all sides to make for a better atmosphere, and the top tier of seats are hidden by large tarps. Interestingly, when Canada's womens national team played Mexico there not too long ago, they didnt add the extra seats of the soccer setup.

How about baseball too?

baseballclassic1.jpg

Doubt this is still possible after the big 500 million dollar renovation but when she still had her baggy roof BC Place could and did host baseball exhibitions. She was even used as a threat stadium for teams looking for new ballparks. Though obviously the layout was less than ideal down the first base line.

\Since the scoreboard can be raised, it is possible. They've asked MLB for a ruling and have yet to receive one.

Thought they changed the stands too much for that type of layout to be done anymore...

Metropolitan Stadium--home of the Twins and Vikings.

The seats past the 3rd base coaches box and the left field grandstands were added in 1965 to increase capacity. It made for a pretty good set up for baseball

mnhs_pf107711_overview.jpg

but for football, there is way too much space between the stands and the sidelines.

metro6.JPG

The Insight Bowl actually set up pretty nice inside Chase Field (it was Bank One Ballpark at the time), it was fun to go to. I saw the 2004 game which featured Brady Quinn, Anthony Fasano, Derek Anderson, Mike Hass, and Yvenson Bernard. Pretty good game. Here's another pic of the setup:

128449669_c73255791a.jpg?v=0

One I absolutely hated: the Coyotes playing at America West Arena (now US Airways Center):

yotes.jpg

Seriously obstructed views, though (notice how you can't see the net thanks to the overhang in the far end in the pic above):

interior2.jpg

And for a random one, my alma mater plays both football and basketball in the Skydome, and it's just sad when there's basketball games:

nauvssamhouston_JenniSolberg_web_2.jpg

BONUS: a parking lot to ice rink conversion at Caesars Palace (opposite of what the Coyotes are working on):

QHIZ4zG.jpg

Always thought the Tacoma Dome made for a weird football "stadium".

T-DomeFootball.jpg

It makes for a weird anything.

000122-06_zpseb65640a.jpg

Agreed. Can anybody find a pic of the baseball layout in the Tacoma Dome? I heard they supposedly held state playoffs there on at least one occasion.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

How many yards was that field?

Per wikipedia, "Because of the limited dimensions of the indoor arena, special rules were adopted for the game. The dirt-covered field itself was only 80 yards long and 10 yards narrower than the regulation width. The sidelines were butted up against the stands. The goal posts were moved from the endlines to the goal lines. The ball was automatically moved back to the 20-yard line every time one team crossed midfield. For the first time, all plays would start with the ball on or between the hash marks, which were ten yards from the sidelines."

The ball was automatically moved back to the 20-yard line every time one team crossed midfield.

Wait, how would this work?

Sounds pretty self explainatory.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The ball was automatically moved back to the 20-yard line every time one team crossed midfield.

Wait, how would this work?

Sounds pretty self explainatory.

You have to remember, they weren't chucking the ball down the field like today's game.

iq5b7nF.png

Archived