Thrift Store Gems 2014

johnnysama

Last night at TJ Maxx I saw Red Wing Winter Classic jerseys (lettered and non-lettered) for $49.00 and the previous Minnesota Wild road jersey for $39.00.

Not a bad deal for either.

Do you know if there was any left on the Red Wings?? I would kill for one at that price!
Like 10
I have a list of people if you're serious.....

Because I am.

I am also very serious about this, my paypal is ready when you are

They had blanks and Howard jerseys. I can check again on Monday. We can do it at cost + shipping if you'd like.

I would love to! I would need a M/L, any player/blank is fine for me

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For some reason, I had a hunch that I should swing by T.J. Maxx today to see if they had any hockey stuff. My hunch paid off. Picked this up for 40 bucks. They had exactly two Jackets road jerseys - both in my size. The best part is I was planning on buying this exact jersey at Nationwide next month at the game I'm going to. Saved myself about 80 bucks.

Jersey.jpeg

BB52Big.jpg

<p><p>Got these for $10 total at a flea market this weekend. 2014-09-15130928_zpsb2cdc79d.jpg Any help in putting a date on these? Michigan State was still "Michigan State University of Agriculture and Applied Science" until 1955 - that's about all I've got. Looking into the history of the seals of Notre Dame and Maryland to try to narrow it down further. Also, anyone know what's up with the maroon and gold colors on the Michigan State pennant? edit: This site contends that the "Established 1857" date on the Michigan State pennant dates it to pre-1934.

• Note: Artifacts bearing an MSC logo with "Established 1857" indicate that the item was marketed before 1934 when MSC decided to use 1855, not 1857, as the year the school was established. Today, the official seal of MSU shows "Established 1855" at the center."
Maryland used black and gold as primary colors from the early 20s until 1942 when they adopted red and white.

For some reason, I had a hunch that I should swing by T.J. Maxx today to see if they had any hockey stuff. My hunch paid off. Picked this up for 40 bucks. They had exactly two Jackets road jerseys - both in my size. The best part is I was planning on buying this exact jersey at Nationwide next month at the game I'm going to. Saved myself about 80 bucks.

Jersey.jpeg

Just out of curiosity, which game are you going to?

Jersey.jpeg

What an underrated modern classic. That's a fantastic jersey.

Jersey.jpeg

November 21 against the Bruins. We're also going to the New Years Eve game against Minnesota. Those are the two we're sure of. We'll probably go to 5 or 6 more this season. We're also kicking around the idea of buying a partial season ticket package in the club section.

BB52Big.jpg

Jersey.jpeg

I found the same deal, too bad they're all XXL's. I wanted one so bad, but it's so big on me it's not worth it.

Jersey.jpeg

November 21 against the Bruins. We're also going to the New Years Eve game against Minnesota. Those are the two we're sure of. We'll probably go to 5 or 6 more this season. We're also kicking around the idea of buying a partial season ticket package in the club section.

No way, I was looking at going to the game against the Bruins as well. Ohio State is on my shortlist of schools I'd like to go to next year so I want to check out the campus. That weekend seems like a good time to go for me, considering the Bruins are in town and there's a football game the next day against Indiana.

went to my local Savers today to see what they had, pretty good dig. Sorry if the Images are big, but here's what I found.

I purchased the Hamilton Rangers jersey, and a Rams sweatshirt. I left behind the Kinsler and Field of Dreams jerseys, but if anyone want those I'd be happy to go back and send them to you if you'd like, I think they were both around $10 a piece.

jinjue.jpg

14y1e9t.jpg

mkc3f5.jpg

went to my local Savers today to see what they had, pretty good dig. Sorry if the Images are big, but here's what I found.

I purchased the Hamilton Rangers jersey, and a Rams sweatshirt. I left behind the Kinsler and Field of Dreams jerseys, but if anyone want those I'd be happy to go back and send them to you if you'd like, I think they were both around $10 a piece.

jinjue.jpg

14y1e9t.jpg

mkc3f5.jpg

Those Hamilton and Kinsler jerseys seem a bit sketchy. The lettering and numbers look too bubbly" to be legit, and I think (but I'm not 100% positive) that there' supposed to be some sort of trim colours on the blue jersey. Still, you only paid $10, so it's not like you were ripped off.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

I found what appears to be a team-issued 90s Colts jersey. I found it at Savers in Toledo, OH.

I'll take you through my thought process...

I take a quick stroll through the very limited jersey section... I see what appears to be a Colts jersey with sewn on lettering.

First thought is wow, who bought a Vinatieri jersey... Then I notice the NFL logo on the collar is the former shield. (This also helped me confirm that it was indeed, a Colts jersey.)

Immediately I look to the nameplate... Nothing! Dangit. I'll pass.

But then, I notice a shiny gold Wilson logo on both sleeves. I'm intrigued.

Jocktag... "NFL Pro Line Authentic: Tailored Exclusively for Prestige Teams"

So at this point I'm thinking it's quite possible that this was actually team issued. (I'd love confirmation from someone familiar with this kind of thing.)

So then I'm obviously curious whose jersey this might have been. ('90s NFL isn't my forte, so I look up "1996 Colts" just because that was my initial guess, as far as the era is concerned. I later decide it's more than likely '96 or '97.)

#4, Jim Harbaugh! (But why no nameplate?)

It made sense to me... He was born in Toledo! Maybe that's why it's here? Maybe it is team issued? Maybe I'm getting my hopes up? haha

I'm happy with the purchase no matter what. It was $7.99.

20141025_183345_zpseafb0c2e.jpg

More pics

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

That's a standard retail authentic jersey. For $8, though? An absolute steal.

Sweet, thanks for the info!

They were made that nicely at one point?! haha

I'm just impressed that the striping is sewn in like it is. I figured most were slapped on or sewn over the fabric... My youth is speaking though. Things were once made so well!

@LEWJ: That is an awesome jersey, however, if I got it, I would've sold it because Jim Harbaugh coaches a rival team (for me, at least), or at least entertained offers out here. But good on you on finding that gem. :)

UBwef0L.png

I'm just impressed that the striping is sewn in like it is. I figured most were slapped on or sewn over the fabric... My youth is speaking though. Things were once made so well!

Authentic jerseys in the 90s were made pretty darn well. Some of my favorites in my collection are from that era.

@LEWJ: That is an awesome jersey, however, if I got it, I would've sold it because Jim Harbaugh coaches a rival team (for me, at least), or at least entertained offers out here. But good on you on finding that gem. :)

haha I feel ya!

I might have to see if anyone is interested.

Authentic jerseys in the 90s were made pretty darn well. Some of my favorites in my collection are from that era.

Very cool.

Yea, I'm definitely impressed. It (quite clearly) fooled me!

Not so much a thrift store find, but rather an ebay find: I got five Minor League caps for almost $38 after taxes and shipping, and four of them I know, but it's this fifth one I am not familiar with:

$_57.JPG?rt=nc

Any clues?

Jamestown Jammers circa mid-90s. They switched their logo to a grape in the 2000s, IIRC. Sadly, they'll be relocating to WV next year.

Morgantown to be specific! In fact, the team name should be announced in a few days. Not to totally derail the thread, but just off topic for a moment, those that care you can vote on one of the 10 finalists here: http://morgantownprobaseball.com/top10vote.html

Going off-tangent again, the name has been announced: The West Virginia Black Bears.

UBwef0L.png

I found what appears to be a team-issued 90s Colts jersey. I found it at Savers in Toledo, OH.

I'll take you through my thought process...

I take a quick stroll through the very limited jersey section... I see what appears to be a Colts jersey with sewn on lettering.

First thought is wow, who bought a Vinatieri jersey... Then I notice the NFL logo on the collar is the former shield. (This also helped me confirm that it was indeed, a Colts jersey.)

Immediately I look to the nameplate... Nothing! Dangit. I'll pass.

But then, I notice a shiny gold Wilson logo on both sleeves. I'm intrigued.

Jocktag... "NFL Pro Line Authentic: Tailored Exclusively for Prestige Teams"

So at this point I'm thinking it's quite possible that this was actually team issued. (I'd love confirmation from someone familiar with this kind of thing.)

So then I'm obviously curious whose jersey this might have been. ('90s NFL isn't my forte, so I look up "1996 Colts" just because that was my initial guess, as far as the era is concerned. I later decide it's more than likely '96 or '97.)

#4, Jim Harbaugh! (But why no nameplate?)

It made sense to me... He was born in Toledo! Maybe that's why it's here? Maybe it is team issued? Maybe I'm getting my hopes up? haha

I'm happy with the purchase no matter what. It was $7.99.

More pics

Like others have said, it's a retail authentic Colts jersey (not a team-issued) but definitely worth $8 either way. Nice find! 1990s Wilson jerseys are among the highest quality retail authentics ever produced in any sport. They're my personal favorite.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

haha I feel ya!

I might have to see if anyone is interested.

As I am a die hard University of Michigan fan and they should change coaches in the off-season, with former University of Michigan quarterback Jim Harbaugh rumored to be on the list of potential head coach candidates, i am most certainly interested in purchasing the jersey from you. Message me the price you want to sell it for. if you're asking a lot for it though, it may take me a bit of time to save money up. ;)

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Archived