North American Pro Soccer 2014

DS729

Figured we might as well start one up, this is for really North American soccer only, no European stuff as there is an International Soccer thread for that.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Cosmos just picked up Dutch striker Hans Denissen, formerly of the San Antionio Scorpions. Dennisen was an NASL Best XI striker in 2013.

http://www.nycosmos.com/article/uuid/y5jr5skmtldz116hcjq6gpa51/hans-denissen-signs-with-cosmos

Good move, plugging a hole while weakening a league rival.

Yeah, Denissen's been a beast for San Antonio. I was hoping MNU would look into signing him.

Speaking of Nouveau Cosmos, I'm working on getting a group of us to head to The Center of the Universe (in Their Own Minds) for the May 12 game.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Didn't DeRo at TFC already go really, really badly?

It depends how you look at it. He was very good on the field, and wanted to be paid accordingly. When Winter took over, they clearly didn't see DeRo as a DP-type player. They were happy to send him away so they could bring in Frings and Koevermans. I'd say that management is fully responsible for the DeRo fiasco. While he shouldn't have "signed the cheque" in the way he did, I can't really blame him for doing it.

1zqy8ok.gif

Didn't DeRo at TFC already go really, really badly?

It did in terms of the politics behind the scenes and him wanting more money and making it public (the famous cheque signing incident), not dealing with it quietly.

I think it's clear that the 2 Tims (Bezbatchenko and Lieweke) have basically grabbed a hold and got rid of the B.S. going on that constantly was an issue.

I also think, after quickly being bounced from New York and having a less than stellar year last season, that Dero has come to realize that he is in his final years and kind of has dropped the attitude/entitlement he was known for.

The word from the latest Canadian National Team camps is that Dero has been nothing short of amazing with all the young kids coming into the camps and has been a great veteran presence.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Rumours are that the Defoe to Toronto deal has earned Tottenham around £6-8m as a transfer fee. Which is a lot in my opinion for an MLS club to spend on a 31 year old without the marketing power of a Beckham, Dempsey or Donovan etc.

I love Defoe and think he is a great player. His goals per minute record is impressive. This is a lot down to him appearing as a substitute or in weaker competitions like the League Cup and the Europa League though. He tended to struggle without the space in behind defenders to run into, which wasn't there too much when teams would come to White Hart Lane and 'park the bus'. He should score a lot of goals in the MLS though where games are not often as tight as over here.

Once again Spurs doing good business(-ish) by offloading players abroad as opposed to direct Premier League opposition. I hope Defoe is a success for Toronto.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

The number I've heard is that TFC/MLS (some cloudiness as to who is paying the transfer fees) are set to spend a total of $100 million in salaries and fees for Defoe and Bradley, which is not much more than the entire TFC franchise was valued at recently.

But the stands should be filled from opening day, which has not been the case the past few years. I'm just disappointed I live on the other side of the country now. My only chance to see TFC play this season will be in the Canadian Championship.

Both players are set to be introduced in Toronto on Monday, Defoe will then head back to Tottenham until the end of February.

In addition to the Defoe transfer, MLSE and Tottenham Hotspur will have an advertising agreement

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/tottenham-striker-jermain-defoe-to-join-toronto-fc-next-month/article16278360/

The Defoe transfer includes an advertising deal between the two clubs that includes promotional, branding, broadcasting, social media and digital rights. MLSE will stock, promote and sell official Spurs merchandise at all its retail outlets and support the THFC Official Canadian Supporter’s Club.

Spurs will also play an exhibition game in Toronto on July 23, in the middle of a summer tour that will also see matches against the Seattle Sounders on July 19 and Chicago Fire on July 26.

I saw, I came, I left.

I just want to thank Toronto FC for handing over 10$M for Bradley, almost completely repaying the Nainngolan acquisition. Nainngolan is a much better player than Micheal Bradley, so to get that kind of money for someone who was never above adequate is a coup, even if I was one of the few who thought that Bradley was a fairly reliable backup for De Rossi. I'm not going to miss the senseless running and the backwards passes, but Bradley was an outstanding pro, and for that I thank him.

I also thank him for this:

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Rumors of Xavi to Red Bulls after the World Cup.

I doubt it, although he's really seeming to drop off, I wouldn't be surprised to see Barcelona replace him, even though his contract runs through 2016.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Archived