North American Pro Soccer 2014

DS729

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, this isn't 2014 but still relevant given its recent nature and isn't worthy of a new thread.... when NYCFC and OCSC join the MLS, are Sporting and Houston just going to go RIGHT back to the West? Otherwise we'd be at an imbalance of 12-9

They could go back to the 3 conference system at 7-7-7. Although that caused more problems than it will solve. I eventually hope the MLS just goes to a European-style table. With promotion/relegation in time. In time.

It'll be so freaking hilarious if MLS decides to go back to having three divisions because this logo will likely be resurrected:

mls-central-division-primary-logo-primar

See, this logo was used, then killed off, then brought back for a possible future run. My point being that MLS should never have had a three-division format with only 12 teams in the entire league in the early 2000s.

New York City FC has a "sibling" in the Manchester City FC "family".

Manchester City FC heads-up a consortium that has bought Melbourne Heart FC of Australia's Hyundai A-League.

http://www.footballa...Statement/83936

http://www.footballa...r-City-FC/84083

Insofar as this relates to NYC FC, there has been much speculation as to how closely the MLS side would ape its EPL parent with regard to branding. Similar speculation is taking place in Australia, as a group called MHFC Holdings Pty Ltd registered with IP Australia for trademark protection of the name Melbourne City FC on January 16, 2014.

Further, on July 10, 2013, Holding M. S. Australia Pty Ltd - Melbourne Heart FC's new minority shareholders, as well as owners of the National Rugby League club Melbourne Storm - registered the business name Melbourne City FC with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission and bought the domain name MelbourneCityFC.com.au.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/23/manchester-city-buy-melbourne-heart

http://www.smh.com.a...0124-31e4j.html

Could Melbourne City FC be joining Manchester City FC and New York City FC as part of a unified family of global soccer brands? Only time will tell.

I read an article recently on the Star Tribune's site, and I guess the NASL MN United FC and the Minnesota Twins are teaming up and want to own an MLS team in Minneapolis (not Zygi Wilf, owner of the NFL's Vikings, who's said himself he'd want an MLS team in the new Vikings stadium when it opens in 2016).

Here's an excerpt:

"While the Vikings have a five-year exclusive right to try to bring a Major League Soccer team to the new stadium, former UnitedHealth Group head Bill McGuire is trying to build support for a separate soccer-only stadium in downtown Minneapolis. Already, McGuire is getting help from the Minnesota Twins — McGuire has eyed a site near the Twins’ Target Field — and Twins president David St. Peter said he would “never say never” to having Twins officials invest financially in McGuire’s plans."

This is pretty interesting to me. Where would the funding come from for a new SSS in downtown Minneapolis? Minnesotans are noted for hating paying for all these new stadiums we've gotten (although this SSS probably wouldn't be nearly as expensive as the Xcel Energy Center, TCF Bank Stadium, Target Field or ZygiWorld).

With spots 20/21 going to NYCFC/OCSC and spots 22/23 presumably going to Miami/ATL, does this put the Twin Cities in good position for spot #24??

What will come of this 'competition' between Zygi and McGuire??? Interesting to think about

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

There's talk that the article was quite premature and presumptive. Then again, that talk mostly starts with the president of the club, Dr. McGuire's son-in-law.

My understanding is that if a stadium were to be built, it'd likely be privately funded, with some logistics assistance from the city.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

New York City FC has a "sibling" in the Manchester City FC "family".

Manchester City FC heads-up a consortium that has bought Melbourne Heart FC of Australia's Hyundai A-League.

http://www.footballa...Statement/83936

http://www.footballa...r-City-FC/84083

Insofar as this relates to NYC FC, there has been much speculation as to how closely the MLS side would ape its EPL parent with regard to branding. Similar speculation is taking place in Australia, as a group called MHFC Holdings Pty Ltd registered with IP Australia for trademark protection of the name Melbourne City FC on January 16, 2014.

Further, on July 10, 2013, Holding M. S. Australia Pty Ltd - Melbourne Heart FC's new minority shareholders, as well as owners of the National Rugby League club Melbourne Storm - registered the business name Melbourne City FC with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission and bought the domain name MelbourneCityFC.com.au.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/23/manchester-city-buy-melbourne-heart

http://www.smh.com.a...0124-31e4j.html

Could Melbourne City FC be joining Manchester City FC and New York City FC as part of a unified family of global soccer brands? Only time will tell.

I think this new Melbourne City FC should play all their games at Etihad Stadium :P

I saw, I came, I left.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I see Chivas USA leaving California and going to the Midwest....I think MLS wants to lessen the number of clubs in California and increase numbers in the Midwest.

And this would make sense how? California is still growing and the Midwest is not.

Haven't been to the midwest lately, have you?

The entire region is blowing up like crazy right now. Columbus OH, Indianapolis (especially), Louisville, Nashville--hell, even Des Moines IA--all these areas are currently experiencing a population boom. And the funny thing is a good number of those new residents have relocated/are relocating from the west coast. (Not that any of this means Cali ain't still growing,

because it is--just don't sleep on the midwest in that regard.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I see Chivas USA leaving California and going to the Midwest....I think MLS wants to lessen the number of clubs in California and increase numbers in the Midwest.

And this would make sense how? California is still growing and the Midwest is not.

Haven't been to the midwest lately, have you?

The entire region is blowing up like crazy right now. Columbus OH, Indianapolis (especially), Louisville, Nashville--hell, even Des Moines IA--all these areas are currently experiencing a population boom. And the funny thing is a good number of those new residents have relocated/are relocating from the west coast. (Not that any of this means Cali ain't still growing,

because it is--just don't sleep on the midwest in that regard.)

It depends... some parts of the Midwest are located in the heart of the Rust Belt like Michigan, Northern Ohio, Northern Indiana, Illinois, etc. are in serious decline, while the plain states and others like Kentucky and much of southern Indiana are booming.

I'm a firm believer that the next MLS franchise will go to Atlanta, and I think #24 is either going to St. Louis or Minneapolis. I'd relocate Chivas to which of the latter 2 that didn't get an expansion franchise.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Archived