rvrdgsfn

Meanwhile, because Formula 1 has shed almost 20 per cent of its grid in the space of mere weeks, the FIA looks set to tweak the knockout qualifying format for Austin and Brazil.

Actually cut the field down to 17 for the USGP with Vettel being expected to sit out qualifying as he takes a penalty for using his unscheduled sixth Renault engine of the 2014 season. I am looking forward to what the FIA comes up with for qualifying in Austin.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So in the US, CNN interviewed Gene Haas

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/sports/2014/10/22/spc-circuit-f1-gene-haas-intv.cnn.html

Plus this is how quick they built they're building in Kannapolis....

As an American, I wish him all the best in this & I hope this goes far.

There are also reports that Sergio Marchionne is heading to Texas to make 2 huge announcements...

Vettel is coming, Alonso is going.

baltimoreravens.png

BUMP for IndyCar's 2015 schedule...

March 8 Autódromo Internacional Nelson Piquet Brasília, Brazil

March 29 Streets of St. Petersburg St. Petersburg, FL

April 12 NOLA Motorsports Park Avondale, LA

April 19 Streets of Long Beach Long Beach, CA

April 26 Barber Motorsports Park Birmingham, AL

May 9 Grand Prix of Indianapolis Indianapolis, IN

May 16-17 Indianapolis 500 Qualifying Indianapolis, IN

May 24 Indianapolis 500 Indianapolis, IN

May 30 Raceway at Belle Isle Park Detroit, MI

May 31 Raceway at Belle Isle Park Detroit, MI

June 6 Texas Motor Speedway Fort Worth, TX

June 14 Streets of Toronto Toronto

June 27 Auto Club Speedway Fontana, CA

July 12 The Milwaukee Mile Milwaukee, WI

July 18 Iowa Speedway Newton, IA

Aug. 2 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course Lexington, OH

Aug. 23 Pocono Raceway Long Pond, PA

Aug. 30 Sonoma Raceway Sonoma, CA

So there we go, only one duel race, Houston is gone & We get 2 new races, Brazil is back in a new course & New Orleans. No Abu Dhabi (at least this season).

baltimoreravens.png

Great to see Indy Car back in Brazil but a shame about not going to UAE. Here's hoping this is just temporary

In F1 news, Alonso is starting to squeeze Ferrari for a big severance payout. Reports say Ferrari will have to compensate Alonso to the tune of tens of millions of euros — just as it had to do at the end of 2009 when Raikkonen was farewelled ahead of time. Reports have it that the Spaniard has a choice: either drive [in 2015] or take the severance. I can see him taking the severance and moving on to WEC through Audi...

http://www.grandprix247.com/2014/10/29/alonso-squeezing-ferrari-for-big-severance-payout/

F3 champion Esteban Ocon impresses Ferrari in F1 test at Fiorano. It was a special day for the newly crowned European Formula 3 champion, having a test in a Ferrari F10, the car which Scuderia Ferrari ran in the 2010 Formula 1 World Championship. The test was his prize for winning the F3 championship, which the Frenchman managed in his first season in the category. Maybe a future Ferrari driver? Who knows.

Did anyone watch USGP Qualifying session? TSN is official broadcaster of F1 in Canada and they didn't televise qualifying on any of their 5 channels, instead televising figure skating, college football and CFL. I had to read about it on formula1.com...not impressed at all with TSN. They don't even have a replay scheduled. But good for Rosberg to snatch the pole for tomorrow's race over his team mate plus both Williams cars taking the second row.

Other news, Caterham’s Marcus Ericsson is to join Sauber for the 2015 season, the Swiss team announced on Saturday. Sauber, whose current race drivers are Adrian Sutil and Esteban Gutierrez, will confirm his team mate at a later date. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2014/11/16557.html

Results from the United States Grand Prix:

1. Hamilton

2. Rosberg

3. Ricciardo

4. Massa

5. Bottas

6. Alonso

7. Vettel

8. Magnussen

9. Vergne

10. I never thought I would see this... Maldonado

I love this track. There were some great battles on the track today, especially the battle between Button & Alonso as well as Vergne & Maldonado. Hamilton trying to build some cushioning but not as long as Nico is 2nd. Next week, Brazil.

baltimoreravens.png

Results from the United States Grand Prix:

1. Hamilton

2. Rosberg

3. Ricciardo

4. Massa

5. Bottas

6. Alonso

7. Vettel

8. Magnussen

9. Vergne

10. I never thought I would see this... Maldonado

I love this track. There were some great battles on the track today, especially the battle between Button & Alonso as well as Vergne & Maldonado. Hamilton trying to build some cushioning but not as long as Nico is 2nd. Next week, Brazil.

The USGP was a great race this year again. Lots of great battles throughout the pack. The lead is now 24 pts but Hamilton cannot rest on his laurels with Brazil then the double points in Abu Dhabi. I would have thought that Maldonado would actually turn in a good drive this season...not me.

In FIA WEC, the 6 Hours of Shanghai was run today and Anthony Davidson came up with the victory. Highlights below.

Sky Sports F1 Ted's Notebook post USGP. For the people who don't really follow F1 through Sky Sports, they have by far the best coverage of F1 in the world. Ted Kravitz is the pit lane reporter for the Sky Sports F1 team, one of the best in the business...

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/f1/9547292/ted's-race-notebook-united-states-#ooid=t1aTZocToAF7DUS5liP31gHOQWGP9awC

I don't know about the rest of you, but not having Marussia or Caterham on the grid at the USGP didn't bother me in the least.

I had the thought the other day, that the smaller budget teams should be allowed to run single car entries. They're never a factor in the team championship, but if a single car effort can outscore a 2-car team in final constructors standings, more power to them!

With news of neither Marussia and Caterham not being in the paddock for the Brazilian GP at the beginning of the week, it's official Marussia has folded as of today. The London-based administrator of Marussia shut down the Formula One team on Friday cease trading, and the remaining staff were made redundant following its move into bankruptcy protection in October, joint administrator Geoff Rowley of FRP Advisory said. ''It is deeply regrettable that a business with such a great following in British and world motorsport has had to cease trading and close its doors.''

http://www.thescore.com/formula1/news/624240

In Caterham news, the team has launched a crowd-funding project to ease its financial difficulties and return to the grid for the final grand prix of the season in Abu Dhabi this month. There are different perks/rewards for people wanting to contribute to the team, with an end result of $3.7m USD to be raised.

http://www.thescore.com/formula1/news/624310

Also with Sutil not being named to the Sauber 2015 lineup but having a valid contract through 2015...he hints at there are things occurring behind the scenes at the Swiss team that could cause the team to follow the same path as Caterham and Marussia. Time will tell.

http://www.grandprix247.com/2014/11/07/sutil-it-doesnt-mean-sauber-is-going-to-drive-in-2015/

AUTOSPORT has reported that Fernando Alonso's switch to the McLaren Formula 1 team is set to be confirmed before the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, once the team knows who his team-mate will be either Magnusson or Button. It is suggested that Alonso would prefer for Button to remain on board next year because it would help accelerate the team's push towards the front of the grid.
However, financial factors could also play a role in the decision, with Magnussen being a much cheaper option for the team. I am hoping Button survives another year with McLaren and it would be a good partnership with Alonso...now if only they can get they car competitive. Let's hoping that the Honda power plant will help with that.
http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116713

Red Bull boss Christian Horner says Formula 1 should consider ditching the current V6 turbo engines and going back to the old V8s.

Amid the row over engine freeze rules, plus the crippling cost of the new power units for customer teams, Horner thinks that abandoning F1's new fuel efficient engines should not be totally ruled out.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116729

Now is it just me or does Horner sound a little like a sore loser at the moment. With the V8 engines, Red Bull was the dominant team for four straight years and now that the turbo V6 comes into play and Mercedes has destroyed Renault powerplants by a country mile (plus seeing their four time defending world champion leave to go to Ferrari), I can see a boy that cried wolf. Yes the rising costs in F1 are increasing and yes maybe these new power plants have driven two teams to administration (but not totally proven to be the case). I think Horner needs to worry about putting a more competitive car on the track for 2015 than trying to push for going back to V8. The FIA will not let it happen...

I am hoping Button survives another year with McLaren and it would be a good partnership with Alonso

Red Bull boss Christian Horner says Formula 1 should consider ditching the current V6 turbo engines and going back to the old V8s.

Now might be the right time for Button to switch into another format of motorsport; like Webber did. I just don't see both Alonso and Button driving for McLaren. The wage bill would be too high and they would be better putting that kind of money into developing a car and sticking with Magnussen.

Horner is right about the cost implications of the V6 Turbo engines but I think the demise of the smaller teams is more down to revenue sharing issues and other problems surrounding pay drivers and what value they actually bring to the sport. As we have seen with other rule changes though, if enough teams cause a fuss then changes can be brought on. I just think that V6 engines are here to stay and he is wasting his time with this particular instance.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

I am hoping Button survives another year with McLaren and it would be a good partnership with Alonso

Now might be the right time for Button to switch into another format of motorsport; like Webber did. I just don't see both Alonso and Button driving for McLaren. The wage bill would be too high and they would be better putting that kind of money into developing a car and sticking with Magnussen.

Horner is right about the cost implications of the V6 Turbo engines but I think the demise of the smaller teams is more down to revenue sharing issues and other problems surrounding pay drivers and what value they actually bring to the sport. As we have seen with other rule changes though, if enough teams cause a fuss then changes can be brought on. I just think that V6 engines are here to stay and he is wasting his time with this particular instance.

As for Button with the possibility of switching motorsport formats, there were good rumors when the Alonso saga started, with Button going to WEC to drive for Porsche LMP1 next season with Webber.

As for the revenue sharing in F1 at the moment, it is wrong to think that the pay out structure in place is fair to the smaller teams. Plus the way drivers have to bring huge finances to the team in terms of sponsorship backing is weighted heavier than his or her driving ability. Hence the one of the main reasons why Maldonado has a seat with Lotus this season. Things will need to change soon through FOM and the FIA or even some of the mid table teams like Force India and Lotus could be forced out too. I also believe the V6 turbo is here to stay.

If Rosberg wins the world championship only because of the double points scenario then I will officially be done with F1 until Bernie leaves (or becomes too old/dies. I can't see him ever leaving voluntarily).

I am 95% of the way out the door but the competition between Hamilton and Rosberg as well as just the general excitement of the races this season keeps dragging me back in.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Good old Uncle Bernie (and I emphasize old) is passing his own views around to people (in an interview in Campaign Asia Pacific) who think they want to know what the dinosaur thinks. "Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has ensured the world of Formula 1 will be discussing one thing – his controversial views – this time declaring that Formula 1 does not need to attract young fans." “I couldn’t see any value in it. And I don’t know what the so-called young generation of today really wants,” he said. He admitted he is more interested in marketing Formula 1 to the older generation, because a 70-year-old has “got plenty of cash." This dinosaur needs to leave the sport soon or there will be no F1 left because without the younger generations, the sport will not continue to grow nor will you get the drivers. Wake up Bernie, the talent is in youth no the old :censored:s like yourself.

http://www.grandprix247.com/2014/11/14/ecclestone-theres-no-point-f1-trying-to-reach-kids/

Bernie's views on youth and social media have hit a real nerve, especially with a fellow F1 fan and father of a 10 year old boy who is travelling to Abu Dhabi next week. Roy Franks emailed Grand Prix 247 and had the following to say:

“So I spend over €4,000 booking flights, tickets and hotel to go to the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix with my ten year old son, who is an avid Lewis Hamilton fan only to be told by the boss of Formula 1 that young fans and those who cannot afford a Rolex are not wanted by the sport. I say: :censored: you Bernie Ecclestone time for you to go!!! I am astounded at the garbage this scoundrelof a man is allowed to spew and the likes of Mercedes, Red Bull,Ferrari, Honda, Renault, Emirates and even CVC do nothing. They are either a bunch of cowards or simply as corrupt as the kingpin scoundrel himself. Shame on you Formula 1. I am sure that when you sell the sport on the amount of eyeballs that watch F1 on TV in your ongoing efforts to wrench big money out of broadcasters, you don’t just count those eyeballs attached to a Rolex. You hypocrites. I will journey to Abu Dhabi because it is all my son has talked about for the past month or so since we booked the trip – a big chunk of money for me a white collar worker who has never ever contemplated buying a Rolex, and now will probably never do so thanks to Bernie. In the end it is a special trip he will probably remember forever. Did most of us not start watching F1 at around ten or eleven? Fortunately my son’s passion for F1 is matched by his passion for football, so next year I say :censored: F1 we will rather book a trip to the Classico between Barcelona and Real Madrid where we will undoubtedly be treated with respect and appreciation. Now you print this GP247, unless you are also in the dirty rotten scoundrel’s pocket too…"

And the good thing was that GP247 actually printed the entire email. Unfortunately Bernie doesn't care about the fans and their views, he cares about the billions of dollars he makes from selling F1 to broadcasters all around the world. Oh what has our beautiful sport we love have become.

http://www.grandprix247.com/2014/11/15/fck-you-bernie-ecclestone-time-for-you-to-go/

Caterham will be in Abu Dhabi for the season finale race. The team released the following statement: “The Caterham F1 Team is delighted to announce that it will be racing at the final Formula 1 Grand Prix of the season in Abu Dhabi next week thanks to the support of the fans, who have helped the team raise enough money to make it possible through Crowdcube, the world’s leading investment crowdfunding platform.” It's good to see one of the two low level teams will make it.

http://www.grandprix247.com/2014/11/14/caterham-looks-set-for-abu-dhabi-finale/

I am so looking forward to Toyota and Porsche to both push Audi next year in endurance racing...it will be great to be highly competitive.

In two excellent news of the day:

1. Jules Bianchi has been awakened from his artificial coma http://www.grandprix247.com/2014/11/19/bianchi-family-jules-is-no-longer-in-artificial-coma/

2. Michael Schumacher is now in a wheel chair but unfortanately he cannot speak plus he has memory problems http://www.grandprix247.com/2014/11/19/schumacher-in-wheelchair-cant-speak-and-has-memory-problems/

For both of these individuals, they both have a long hard road ahead to full recovery (if that is possible). I myself will be supporting them both through their recoveries.

In other news, Business Book GP has released the salaries of all 22 drivers that was in the 2014 F1 field and there is some disparity to say the least.

• Sébastian Vettel (Red Bull) : €22 million
  • Fernando Alonso (Ferrari) : €22 million
  • Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari) : €22 million
  • Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) : €20 million
  • Jenson Button (McLaren) : €16 million
  • Nico Rosberg (Mercedes) : €12 million
  • Felipe Massa (Williams) : €4 million
  • Nico Hulkenberg (Force India) : €4 million
  • Romain Grosjean (Lotus) : €3 million
  • Pastor Maldonado (Lotus) : €3 million
  • Sergio Perez (Force India) : €3 million
  • Adrian Sutil (Sauber) : €2 million
  • Kevin Magnussen (McLaren) : €1 million
  • Valteri Bottas (Williams) : €1 million
  • Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull) : €750.000
  • Jean Eric Vergne (Toro Rosso) : €750.000
  • Jules Bianchi (Marussia) : €500.000
  • Esteban Guitiérrez (Sauber) : €400.000
  • Danii Kvyat (Toro Rosso) : €250.000
  • Max Chilton (Marussia) : €200.000
  • Kamui Kobayashi (Caterham) : €150.000
  • Marcus Ericsson (Caterham) : €150.000

Yup, this truly was F1's worst kept secret. Either way, it should be fun to see plus it will be a challenge for both. Although we all know by now that Alonso is going to McLaren and I think Jenson is gone. I wish that wasn't the case, I like Jenson but I can't deny Magnussen's talent either. The kid is good. I think Jenson will go endurance racing now either with Porsche & Webber or possibly Audi since Tom Kristensen is retiring.

EDIT: Now this was funny....

http://youtu.be/UfIgmTr8CYQ

Last but not least...

9ks5mo.jpg

Ambrose is back home now.

baltimoreravens.png

Archived