Your first jersey...

infrared41

I can't recall if we've ever had a thread addressing this. Nothing similar came up in a search. Anyway...I was reading through the Super Bowl VII helmet carts thread. There is a post with an old Sears ad for NFL jackets and hats in there that's from the early 70's. Seeing that ad reminded me of all the NFL stuff I had as a kid and my first NFL jersey. I thought it might be fun to post where we got our "uniform geek" start.

My first jersey was a #79 Packers jersey with the long sleeves. My cousin gave it to me so I have no idea where it came from. It was basically a kids version of one of these...

83003a_lg.jpeg

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

33-70604-1-Y.jpg

I asked for a LaDainian Tomlinson jersey for Christmas 2002, based only on the word of a classmate who said Ladainian was the best player in the league. As a Redskins fan with no Internet or cable, I had never even heard of him, much less seen him play. But I had blind faith in this kid, so come Christmas morning, I got this jersey.

I know that the powder blue jersey the Chargers have now is better, but I can't say I like it a fraction of the amount of how much I like the one in my post.

I'm not sure if it was a Dodgers or a Rangers 1987 replica. It was a pullover, and I had them peronalized, with Mickey Hatcher for the Dodgers and Oddibe McDowell for the Rangers. I bought the Rangers one because that was the last team I played on.

The first one I bought on my own was the Brazil home shirt from the 1998 world cup. It cost me $110 which took quite a bit of saving at 11 years old

The first one bought for me was a David Robinson road jersey in 1996. I still have it although it's a bit snug now. It did solidify my following of the Spurs which paid dividends over the next decade or so in a big way.

A number 84 Washington Redskins jersey. No name on back, but at the time Gary Clark was a member of the Skins. No clue where my parents bought it from, but my 7 year old heart didn't care it was the greatest gift ever........ until I got a Super Nintendo that summer with Street Fighter 2 :P

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Archived