Kelly Green used in uniforms/logos

Tygers09

Is it me or does it seem like sport teams aren't using Kelly Green as much as they use to? I mean the Eagles changed to Midnight Green, the Seattle dropped it from their main color scheme. The Jets went to Hunter Green, On the flip side the Canucks added it with blue to their main colors. Thankfully the CFL Roughriders still use it. Anyone care to comment or suggest this reasoning?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe one issue is that, for football and soccer at least, it blends with the grass background and is more difficult to see-- a problem for teammates, especially in sports when split-second reactions are crucial. As a Jets fan I seem to remember some player or coach back in the kelly green era complaining about that.

i personally never liked kelly green too much. It's just too bright, and looks bad in outdoor games on grass, oakland A's are about the only outdoor team i liked in kelly because the yellow went with it really well, i like the stars in kelly because the white ice is a good back drop and same with celtics because of the hardwood. i really thought the kelly throwbacks the eagles wore a few years ago looked really bad, a lot worse than the currents, and think the eagles should go with a forest or hunters green rather than any other color they have worn

Maybe one issue is that, for football and soccer at least, it blends with the grass background and is more difficult to see-- a problem for teammates, especially in sports when split-second reactions are crucial. As a Jets fan I seem to remember some player or coach back in the kelly green era complaining about that.

I think its just the opposite... the brightness of the kelly green helps. I remember thinking a few times during the Rose bowl that MSU's dark forest green got lost on the grass.

I think its just the opposite... the brightness of the kelly green helps. I remember thinking a few times during the Rose bowl that MSU's dak forest green got lost on the grass.

Yeah I only saw a minute of it but it was tough to watch. They totally blended in. Kelly would have been fine.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think its just the opposite... the brightness of the kelly green helps. I remember thinking a few times during the Rose bowl that MSU's dak forest green got lost on the grass.

Yeah I only saw a minute of it but it was tough to watch. They totally blended in. Kelly would have been fine.

An argument for colored fields? I kid, I kid.

Personally, I prefer greens shifted towards blue rather than yellow, with Kelly green just about the breaking point (it has that just enough "coolness" to it that it mellows out.) Any green with more yellow than blue (apple green to forest green) becomes too acidic in appearance and becomes unappealing in my opinion.

An argument for colored fields? I kid, I kid.

Personally, I prefer greens shifted towards blue rather than yellow, with Kelly green just about the breaking point (it has that just enough "coolness" to it that it mellows out.) Any green with more yellow than blue (apple green to forest green) becomes too acidic in appearance and becomes unappealing in my opinion.

What, you don't find this beautiful?

orlando_110503_WIDE.jpg

Archived