Real1

Hi everyone,

I decided to do a total rebrand of the Detroit Lions as if "bubbles" and the current branding never existed. I did it more for fun and as a challenge to myself to come up with a full branding system. I warn those who are Lions fans that this doesn't keep much of what is currently in the system or on the uniforms. It definitely has a less traditional feel to it. I mean no disrespect to the current branding or the traditions from which it came from. That being said, let's go into the project.

I based my logo concept off of a 70's profile Detroit Lions Logo that I found on this very site, and made an updated version of it. I thought the profile head would look great for the helmets and be able to be used in many different applications. I then thought to do a front view to be able to be used on the uniforms, and additional logos can help merchandising. I based the typography on a black letter style since the tigers use blackletterI then did the unthinkable and darkened the Lions blue and added a surprise color into the uniforms. I felt that the orange could symbolize fire: the fires of industry found in Detroit, the rebirth of a team from the ashes etc. I also thought the new color could help be a driver for new merchandise lines. For the Uniforms I included watermarks on the shoulderpads of tire patterns representing the motor city, and a grid of the city on the silver uniform.I then decided to extend the series to include a stationary system for their corporate offices. I hope yall like them, and I'm open to your feedback.

Thanks, enjoy

ScreenShot2014-01-11at122225AM_zps86aa93Profile primary

ScreenShot2014-01-11at122127AM_zps1e88f5Profile full body

ScreenShot2014-01-11at122156AM_zpsaf3ae3front facing logo

ScreenShot2014-01-11at122244AM_zps92c94cLions script

ScreenShot2014-01-11at122900AM_zps708379Lions Helmet

ScreenShot2014-01-11at123722AM_zpsee7cb5Uniform front

ScreenShot2014-01-11at123609AM_zps94f90dUniform front with Lion patch

ScreenShot2014-01-11at123623AM_zps22313bUniform back

Full Uniform

ScreenShot2014-01-11at123849AM_zps7c8150full uniform silver

ScreenShot2014-01-11at11044AM_zpsa8175b0Lions Stationary

Sorry forgot to say I used templates from Frasier Davidson for the helmet and uniform shot

As a Lions fan, I'd LOVE this. The one thing I'd lose is the numbers, they remind me too much of the Blackhawks, I think I would try something like the word mark font, without going too overboard, also incorporate yellow into the logos. Just my opinion, otherwise I love these, they're fantastic. I'd like to see them take the field in these in preseason this year, as soon as possible. :)

As for the stationary... I'd hope that Whiz will receive a head coaching job from the Lions shortly ;)

As a Lions fan, I'd LOVE this. The one thing I'd lose is the numbers, they remind me too much of the Blackhawks, I think I would try something like the word mark font, without going too overboard, also incorporate yellow into the logos. Just my opinion, otherwise I love these, they're fantastic. I'd like to see them take the field in these in preseason this year, as soon as possible. :)

As for the stationary... I'd hope that Whiz will receive a head coaching job from the Lions shortly ;)

I agree. And less yellow in the numbers too. Maybe a trim. I'd get them confused with Michigans jerseys.

voRwpN1.png

I agree. And less yellow in the numbers too. Maybe a trim. I'd get them confused with Michigans jerseys.

voRwpN1.png

This is very good! Nice consistent set. I say turn the yellow a little more orange so not to be confused with Michigan. Wordmark seems a perfect choice for the Lions. It's almost royal and a nice nod to the old english "D" of the Tigers who play next door. Overall a "thumbs up". Look forward to more of your work on here.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

The logos here are VERY impressive. The attention to detail is obvious and they are very cohesive. I'm a big fan of the wordmark as well. When I read blackletter I wasn't sure how it would look, but it works.

The uniforms, on the other hand, aren't very good. They don't look like an NFL uniform, and they're not very cohesive with the brand. I would get rid of all the city-related patterns and most of the yellow. The yellow should just be used as subtle trim. I would suggest using a two stripe pattern reflecting the stem of the L in the wordmark. Also, the road jersey should be white, as the NFL doesn't allow silver primary road jerseys.

Also, for me the yellow should be orange. I know you called it orange in your post, but it looks yellow.

Wow. Those logos are phenomenal. While I am a fan of the Lions' current look, I'd take something like these in a heartbeat. I'm honestly not a big fan of the uniforms. While I like the patterns subtly used (I don't think it's necessary, but I like the idea), I think it'd look better with some kind of striping. It just needs something that's not transparent or subtle. I also think the yellow throws the whole thing off a bit. I'd either incorporate it into the logos more, or completely remove it from the uniforms.

Overall, i think you've got a GREAT base...just bring the whole thing together, and you've got one hell of a winner.

...and I just noticed that you took the time to actually make the letter about Dominic Raiola. Fantastic!

Drop the gold, and stick with just the navy/silver combo. Awesome job on the profile primary, and forward facing lion's head. Not sure on the full lion's body and font text though. Keep the silver helmet with either gray or navy facemask, and use the navy helmet and uniform as a alternate, and you have a winner!

Here is my issue: Lions are yellow. You have decided to use yellow on this concept. Therefore, the lion should be yellow. If you want to use yellow, then use yellow. Right now, it looks like you designed the logos (all of which are great), then decided that you needed another color. Yellow could probably work if you incorporated it into the logos. Personally, I don't think you need it. I'd say stick with blue and silver.

For the uniforms, you're all over the place. I see two different collars and the back of a blue uniform. The helmet appears to be blue too, but I'm not totally sure. And that's it. For the road (?), I see a primarily silver jersey with matching pants that lack any blue whatsoever. There is also a square sublimation pattern that doesn't match anything else in the set. Why is there no blue? What is that pattern? Why doesn't the collar match either of the two blue collars?

The logos are a great start. Really, really good. Everything else needs to fit together better. I suggest putting the uniform on a classic flat template first. That way we can all see what you are trying to do without having to guess as to what goes where. Then put it on the action template. Action templates are fun, but they are best as a part of a package, not as the whole thing.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I think I will try reducing the yellow/orange from the uniforms or just eliminate it all together. I also think the consensus is to go with a more classic lions look for the uniforms. Which is understandable given their history. Thanks for the suggestions. Back to the drawing board.

Archived