dgnmrwrw

I've had this idea and these concepts sitting around for months (years, in some cases). There was a time when I was working on this project furiously, but I've been far too short on time recently to give it the attention it needed. But since so much of it has been completed for so long, I decided just to throw it out there, in large chunks.

So here's the basic idea: A Super NHL, with 40 teams divided into two conferences of four divisions with five teams each. The divisions would be geographic in nature, with teams playing a "weighted" schedule: i.e. 6 games versus division opponents; 4 games versus the "paired" division opponents (Northeast and St. Lawrence, Mid-Atlantic and Southeast, et c.); two games versus the "unpaired" division opponents in the same conference (St. Lawrence and Southeast, et c.); and one game versus opponents from two different non-conference divisions--at home versus one division and on the road versus the other--with the non-conference divisional matchups rotating each year. By my count, that makes for a 74-game regular season that emphasizes regionality and cuts down on travel costs. Obviously, there will be a few expansion teams.

Two teams from each division would make the playoffs, with each round being a best-of-seven series. The first two rounds would keep the "paired" divisions together, seeding the four teams independently of division and allowing them to play out. The advancing two teams (i.e. the Northeast/St. Lawrence winner and the Mid-Atlantic/Southeast winner) would play for the Conference Championship, and the two conference champs would meet for the Stanley Cup.

All right. So I'm just going to post these in alphabetical order, and I'll include a league map that I'll continually update. Almost all of the work is completed and has been for quite a while, but there are a few stragglers that I'll try my best to get finished in a timely matter. Basically, each team has had something altered in some way, no matter how small. Everyone gets a "third" jersey, but the Original Six teams get "heritage" jerseys to be worn only against other Original Six teams. Some of this work has been posted by me before, some has since been sold to other parties, and some of it is likely to be adapted from other peoples' work. In each case, I'll do my best to make appropriate citations for each, but since it's been so long, I may miss something. Please feel free to point out any misses on my part. Also, some of the players' names and numbers used have probably changed by now. Forgive me for not going back and updating everything!

So here we go. The uniform template is based on the current (and fantastic) style at NHLuniforms.com, and I wouldn't have been able to create this series without the amazing resources there. I've done my best to create custom logos and type for each team, and I'll try to keep descriptions clear and (most importantly) brief. Here's the first map update, with the first five teams:

Fb5EWwI.png

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anaheim Ducks

logo_prim.pngThe colors are green, eggplant, and a yellowish orange. I tried to unite the webbed-D and shapes from their logo history while adding stylized wings. There are clear ties to the old Mighty days.

Home uni

Road uni

Alternate uni

Wordmark

Secondary logo

Arizona Coyotes

An updated version of something I posted years ago. The running coyote is, I’m sure, based on something someone else has done.logo_prim.png

Home uni

Road uni

Alternate uni

Wordmark

Secondary logo

Tertiary logo

Atlanta Thrashers

logo_prim.pngYes, I put another team back in Atlanta; it was mostly for geographic balance and because I’ve always loved the name and the identity possibilities. So I wanted the beautiful light blue, but with the other colors coming more from the Brown Thrasher itself.

Home uni

Road uni

Alternate uni

Wordmark

Secondary logo

Boston Bruins

logo_prim.png

Not a lot of changes here. Changed the colors to very dark brown and yellow. Added a few “notches” to the spoked-wheel logo, hoping to evoke bear claws. The Heritage uniform uses a modernized version of an older logo.

Home uni

Road uni

Alternate uni

Wordmark

Secondary logo

Brooklyn Islanders

logo_prim.png

Obviously, a name change. An updated version of a classic uniform, with type loosely based on the old Dodgers’ style. An alternate uniform that references the great “Fisherman” jerseys.

Home uni

Road uni

Alternate uni

Wordmark

Secondary logo

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Very nice work, looking forward to seeing the uniforms. I especially like the Brooklyn logo, simple yet ornate (almost like a monogram).

I'm excited to see what you have in store for Milwaukee, and which of either Milwaukee or Norfolk gets to keep the Admirals nickname (by all rights, it should be Milwaukee, it's been theirs since 1970, as opposed to 1989 for Hampton Roads/Norfolk).

QPR%20Sig.png

Very nice work, looking forward to seeing the uniforms. I especially like the Brooklyn logo, simple yet ornate (almost like a monogram).

I'm excited to see what you have in store for Milwaukee, and which of either Milwaukee or Norfolk gets to keep the Admirals nickname (by all rights, it should be Milwaukee, it's been theirs since 1970, as opposed to 1989 for Hampton Roads/Norfolk).

There are unis

Thats a great idea. I love fictional leagues. Ducks may have a little too much going on, what with the wings, although again, a good idea. On the coyotes, drop the desert pattern and thats a pretty good logo. And the Thrashers are BEAUTIFUL for many of the reasons you stated. That is one fine bird. Bruins are slightly complex, but you needed to change it somewhat for your purposes. I really like Brooklyn's anchor intwined with the b. Awesome job.

Interesting idea with the Ducks - but the way you have it now, putting the D in the middle wrecks the balance of your logo. I also think the ring in the background is too strongly reminiscent of Oregon. Again I like the idea here, but the execution is a bit awkward. The Webfoot D works better on its own. Having said that I like the wings, but they fit better with your alternate mark, and the crossed sticks help give that logo more balance. Of course I love the inclusion of the duck mask in any Anaheim concept but I think a forward facing version of it would work better here.

Normally I find the idea of sticking orange or yellow into the old Mighty Ducks colour scheme to be a bit much - but with your rebrand here it works very well because you've opted for a muted shade of eggplant. The colour scheme really pops without being too garish, so kudos for that!

Love the uniform designs for the most part, although the home uniform reflects a problems I have with the Ducks current identity. It's too minimalistic despite having an unorthodox striping design. I think throwing some more colour into the striping, whether it's an additional eggplant stripe or some white, could really help this jersey to pop. And maybe it's the OCD in me but I hate the way the stripes stop before they even reach the other side of the jersey. But, that's just me :)

A similar problem with the alternate I feel is reflected in a bunch of other Ducks concepts I've seen. You know the ones where they slap the webfoot D onto a Mighty Ducks jersey and create an awkward empty space on the bottom right of the logo? It's not so bad here, as the triangle behind it helps balance it out, but I think flipping around the hemstripe would help to improve this one, especially if you decide to keep the webfoot D as the primary crest (and by extension, the same would apply to the home and road jerseys, again if you decide on the standalone webfoot D on those uniforms).

Apologies if my feedback comes across as harsh, but I tend to be overly critical when it comes to Ducks concepts. However what you have so far is one of the better blending-of-eras concepts I've seen. As for the other teams you've done, unfortunately I don't have any C&C to offer other than that it's all fantastic work. I especially love the Thrashers and Islanders. Can't wait to see the rest of this series :D

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Good start so far.

Couple things I'm not a fan of - Bruins primary logo, and the Ducks home and away jerseys.

I feel like the Bruins logo should be left as it is now. As for the Ducks, just too much open space for my liking.

Any chance you will be completing your Continental Independent Baseball League series?

8prlQWA.png

These are really well done. I especially like the Thrashers and Islanders. I really like how the shape of the B conforms to the anchor on the Islanders. The logo looks great on both color and white jerseys.

I would appreciate it if you would post the entire concepts on this thread instead of having to follow a link to view your concepts. You have obviously spent some time on these; show them off. It isn't any more work to post the pictures than the links.

award%20sig.png

Your logos are very strong and innovative.

The biggest issues I have right now are with palettes. For Anaheim, there's not enough contrast--all the colours are mid-range. I'd darken the eggplant and lighten the jade.

And I feel like, minus the blue, the Thrashers and Coyotes palettes are too similar

rATMcmK.png

Archived