Cincinnati Royals

Sport

It's been a while since I've done a concept. This is a reimagining of Cincinnati's former NBA, the Royals who now play in Sacramento.

There have been a few Royals concepts in the past, but I felt they went too generic with royalty imagery, that the logo could swap out the city name and you could put the team anywhere. I intended to retain some of the charm of the 1960's logo seen here

cincinnati-royals-logo_1957-1971_zpsc4df

But I also wanted to update it for a modern age. I chose the colors because navy and burgundy are not used together in professional sports today.

royals-final_zps2350afaf.png

With the logo I attempted to retain some of the original's flavor while updating it to fit in with another one of the city's other professional franchises. We are the city of anthropomorphic, mustachioed ball head logos so it's no longer a globe, but is now a basketball with a mustache to go along with their baseball neighbors' logo and mascot. Also, the crown shows seven points. Cincinnati is known as the "City of Seven Hills" so each point represents one of the hills.

The asymmetrical striping and the vertical lettering down the leg is a nod to the last uniform the team wore before moving to Kansas City.

Please let me know what you think and C&C is very much welcomed.

Thank you.

PvO6ZWJ.png

To my eyes, your shades of burgundy and navy are vibrating against each other. Maybe you can darken up the blue just a little to give them more contrast.

Check out Loyola-Marymount for the colors, they use burgundy and navy as well.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I would drop the word "Royals" off the crown. It's redundant if nothing else. Also, I'm having a couple of issues with the moustache. First, it looks like it's at a straight-ahead angle whereas the face is turned. And having the moustache come out to the side is creating some tension with that point. You can shrink the moustache a bit and get rid of that tension.

rATMcmK.png

Thanks for the advice, fellas. It was very helpful.

I tweaked the colors so they're not as harsh and I think it looks a lot better. I also made some changes to the mustache and slight changes to the eyes.

royals-final2_zps87120037.png

Royals-Unis_zpsb38cdb0c.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

I really like this - the jerseys and the court look great. The poster who said it looks like the Orange Bowl logo has a pretty good point though. The middle seam that goes across the eyes looks really odd.

As you mentioned, it has a good connection to the Reds' logo.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

In my honest opinion I dislike the logo. Its funny has alot of the old logo qualities but I never liked it. But the on the other hand. Those jerseys are TOP 5 QUALITY! !!! Simply incredible. Clean and crisp designs. The font,Colors pop and the uniform is the perfect example of classic meets modern. Jersey 9.5/10 (even with the face logo on the side of shorts. Still good.

shado_logo.gif

Thanks for the advice, fellas. It was very helpful.

I tweaked the colors so they're not as harsh and I think it looks a lot better. I also made some changes to the mustache and slight changes to the eyes.

royals-final2_zps87120037.png

VERY well done. The only thing I see that may need some tweaking is the eye on the right. It looks weird with the eyebrow connecting to the nose. And the angle of the eye looks a bit off as well.

gYH2mW9.png

Even with the color change it's difficult to read "Royals" going down the away pants. Maybe change that to white with a red outline? I realize that takes away the consistency of the uniform, but it might be something worth trying.

Ditto on him looking like a baseball or volleyball - maybe make it red?

Good concept, I'm interested in seeing it develop

• 1 month later...

Only if that peach colour becomes a trim colour somewhere. I still like the retro look preferrably. Also, I really love the "Cincinnati" script on the Away's. is that your own design or is it borrowed from something?

Loving the shoutout to the Royals, I wish they were still here. I'm enjoying the Cincinnati innuendo with the seven points on the crown.

I don't think the peach color is really needed. Maybe just redefining some of the lines on the ball.

Other than that, awesome job!

Archived