Vintage Mascot Logo Refresh- Update: Baltimore Orioles

suplauren

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4827AthleticLogo.gif

Here's an old logo from my high school. There are some other iterations of the logo here, too.

CCHSterrier.gif

logo_auburn_war_bird.jpg

Vintage Auburn logo, maybe the update should use a golden eagle?

You guys do realize this thread has been dead since April 21st? How do you expect to really get your requests filled on a thread that died about 2 and a half months ago?

Colorado Born and Raised!!

2gm6.png
LasVegasBowl_zpsdb9fb995.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hi suplauren. I know you like animals and so do I. Here is Humphrey the giraffe from the early '70s. These are the only pictures left of Humphrey from Milwaukee. I thought perhaps you'd like to breath life back into him. He's all yours, do whatever you'd like with him. He was once a mascot of a used car dealership, but the company went belly-up. A very belated Happy Birthday:

humphreychevroletcopy3_zpsea95f86f.jpg

humphreychevroletcopy4_zpse4507b7a.jpg

403647-DSCN2310-2_zps0ff1a611.jpg

humphreychevrolet_zpsa13f4d40.jpg

6f464e55-6abd-4e92-8ed3-55294054cd9a_zps4cb745f0-396d-406b-aa2d-41a0409c5d7a_zps21dbccf3-aad2-4b7e-8950-645ef30f9d11_zps

Hi suplauren. I know you like animals and so do I. Here is Humphrey the giraffe from the early '70s. These are the only pictures left of Humphrey from Milwaukee. I thought perhaps you'd like to breath life back into him. He's all yours, do whatever you'd like with him. He was once a mascot of a used car dealership, but the company went belly-up. A very belated Happy Birthday:

How quirky! I like it :) I'll definitely try it when I get the time!

Happy you like Humphrey! I have more information on him and will post that here in the next few days :) I like the word, quirky. But it's very hard for my Japanese friends to pronounce it. They say cookie, cooky and kooky.

6f464e55-6abd-4e92-8ed3-55294054cd9a_zps4cb745f0-396d-406b-aa2d-41a0409c5d7a_zps21dbccf3-aad2-4b7e-8950-645ef30f9d11_zps

Happy you like Humphrey! I have more information on him and will post that here in the next few days :) I like the word, quirky. But it's very hard for my Japanese friends to pronounce it. They say cookie, cooky and kooky.

Here's the rest of the story, from Retro Milwaukee:

I just wanted to say "thanks"....... for maintaining the site and for your recent additions.

I noticed one of those recent additions was a postcard showing the Humphrey Chevrolet "Used" lot on the northeast corner of 35th & Wisconsin. I have looked for many years and have not been able to find any quality photos of Humphrey's new car showroom, which was directly across the street, on what is now the MUHS Humphrey Athletic Field.

I thought you might enjoy this story, and I assure you it is true.

I was a student at Marquette High from 1985 to 1989. In my sophomore year, the school acquired the land on the corner from the Humphrey Estate. At that time, the business had been closed for years, but the showroom building still stood, still filled with vintage auto posters and sales desks and conference tables and all the standard fixtures of a once-thriving car dealership.

Either because Marquette was tapped out, or just because it seemed a shame to the Jesuits to have all these strong young teenage angst-filled bodies wandering around the halls and not put them to better use, the Jesuit brain-trust decided that it would be a good idea to have us, the students, do all the rough interior demolition of the building.

For a period of what seemed like weeks, maybe even as much as a month, study halls and free time gave way to 45-minute blocks of hard labor. Dumpsters were ordered up and left on-site. We were sent over there in groups of 20-25 boys, a couple days per week, and given safety glasses and sledgehammers.

Whatever got in our way came crashing to the ground. Sales offices, fluorescent light fixtures, glass-and-block half walls, they all became our victims. We would bash and sweep, assembly lines of kids marching dustpans of god-only-knows what (asbestos? what's that?) out to the dumpsters.

I suspect every child-labor law on the books was most likely violated, but somehow we all lived. I doubt that those Jezzies would be able to pull something like that off today. But every time I drive past that corner and see MUHS's athletic field, I take modest pride in knowing that my blood and sweat and time played a small role in clearing that lot, all those many years ago.

B.R.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't feral hogs have shorter legs?

I really like the Arkansas refresh but it looks like a flat-nosed dog to me.

I did some research, and I think it's the proportion of the head, not the legs.

boar-hunt-1.jpg

I definitely see what you're saying, but I wanted to stay true to the original image, since that was the original insignia of the school. I like that history.

• 3 months later...

Not a request, but a dream I've had for a while. The Eagles are my favorite team, and I've always wanted to see an update of their old logo. I finally felt compelled to try one out.

Old:

eagles_thumb.gif

Mine:

53MOGkK.png

I'd love C&C, because I know certain parts are off (highlighting on the wings, integration of the head onto the body). Give me tips please! I want to make this as amazing as I can!

Nicely done. Specifically, I like how you incorporated the current Eagles logo into the body. I could really see this becoming a secondary logo for the team.

The only thing I see that could be tweaked a bit is the football. It looks a little flat compared to the rest of the logo.

Overall, I think you have done quality work here.

59ea7286cd78e_NewAvsSig.png.5747971588ea035fdc4dbcf3bf43f77a.png

Archived