San Diego Chargers concept

oldschoolvikings

So, here's another go at the San Diego Chargers. I dislike the current uniform more every time I see it. The mash up of sky blue and navy blue is awkward, the number font is just plain bad, and the shoulder treatment of the lightning bolts is clunky and forced. Like a lot of us, I'd like to see the traditional shoulder stripes, the ones the Chargers wore for the first 40 years, but the new templates make those also unworkable IMO. (I know some people are OK with the Colts half-stripes, but I'm not one of them.) So my idea was to try to design a completely new solution for the shoulder bolts, and since the Seahawks have pioneered the concept of using the upper chest has an area for graphic, I put them there. I actually tried to have the bolts ride on the existing seams on Nike's upper chest template.

Also, I cobbled this font together from a mash up of two existing fonts (thanks, Conrad!) and added a small "electric" detail.

Let me know what you think.

chrgr3_zps5aedeb68.png

Like the throwbackness. You made some excellent points about the current uniforms. Nice job, just that the stripe across the shoulder isn't working for me and I don't know about those numbers. This is a good design, really liking it.

LOVE the idea behind the spur, or whatever you want to call it on the numbers. I do, however, think that the font should be different, though. Something more rounded, I think it would look better on what you have here. As for anything specific, not too good with fonts, wish I could help with that. Good luck, looks great so far! :P

I like it. But how close is that blue to Buffalo's blue?

Well, on MY screen it's much closer to the Lions' blue than it is to the Bills' but I think it may have come out darker than I intended. I used the color picker to pull the current Chargers' light blue, then darkened it a step or two. If its getting mistaken for Buffalo's blue, I might have to lighten it up a bit. I want it to be a light blue... just not quite as light as their current alt.

I seem to be getting a few comments that are making me feel the blue is coming off a little darker than I intended, so I tried lightening it. Not quite all the way to the current powder blues, but noticeably lighter than a royal blue.

New color version...

chrgr3_zps14291874.png

Well what era blue are you going for? Air Coryell or Lance Alworth blue??

Archived