College Baseball 2014

cajunaggie08

I know we have had a few individual threads started about 2014 college baseball changes, but I figured it was time to get the mega thread going.

Adidas is continuing its stupid trend of applying the same template to multiple teams. The tequilla sunrise Astros inspired striping that Adidas provided to Louisville and Mississippi State for the CWS has made its way to Texas A&M.

BexH-qbCYAEvC1f.jpg

Also, Houston has replaced their grass and dirt field with all field turf. A trend i despise in baseball, but i understand the long term cost savings.

9605619.jpeg

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never understood why baseball fields that use turf still can't have a regular dirt infield.

I would imagine it would make its way to the turf and get mixed with the rubber and somehow mess up the turf, but idk to be honest, just my guess. It's definitely weird. Idk why they didn't color it like dirt at least, or why even color it.

A&M simply doesn't have a wide range of colors so that template doesn't work at all for me.

As for the new turf fields, I want to know what it'd be like to play on that surface under a mid-day texas sun vs. a regular grass field.

A&M simply doesn't have a wide range of colors so that template doesn't work at all for me.

As for the new turf fields, I want to know what it'd be like to play on that surface under a mid-day texas sun vs. a regular grass field.

unless it was the cork fields it would be hot as hell, the pieces of rubber pellets just radiate heat like crazy, the field can actually melt if it isn't watered on hot days

Is the mid-day Texas sun that oppressive in February and March?

It can be in May. I watched a double header during a regional in College Station when it was 96F outside.

the baseball season goes till May, and it would be very harsh

It reaches the 80's regularly in winter. And sometimes reaches the low 90s.

Field Turf in september gets so bad sometimes that your feet burn through your cleats and you find yourself running to the sidelines and putting water on the bottom of them. (in football at least)

Mix that with humidity and it's the worst, exhausted by kickoff.

It's trendy is why its team colors. I think the coloring costs more so that is why it's green but ask someone who does the installation of those fields

No idea about cost, but I used to play softball at a facility that had field-turf fields, and they were painted to look like a real grass-and-dirt infield, like you'd see at Fenway or Wrigley.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Archived